Welcome to Aston Villa Forum - avillafan.com

Welcome to Aston Villa Forum - avillafan.com, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Aston Villa Forum - avillafan.com by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Sign in to follow this  
avstu

Tottenham Hotspur 3-1 Aston Villa

Really disappointing collapse. First half was perfect. Ten minutes into the second half we should've made a change as you could see the goal coming a mile off. Obviously held on for a little bit but we dropped deeper and deeper and deeper. 

Few things for me; 1 El Ghazi needs to be more consistent, and track back quicker. Far too often we left men unmarked, especially on the left.

2 Grealish dwells on the ball too often. It was his mistake for the 2nd and that completely knocked the wind out of our sails. When you're on the edge of the box being closed down, forget the pass and just boot it either into row z, or down the field. 

3. The subs were counter productive. Kodja was ineffective in this type of game. And Jota looked out of place entirely. Nothing like what we've seen I'm pre season. 

4 I'm really not taken with Wesley. I think we are in serious need of a prolific striker. He won't score more than ten this season and that worries me for a 22mill striker. He's just a lump up top to hold it up and lay it off. A glorified Heskey. 

But those are the negatives. There are more positives to that game for sure. First half was ours. Could've scored 3 (Trezeguet didn't have his shooting boots on) and had, in my opinion, a pretty solid penalty claim on McGinn. 

Trying to remember that spurs were champions league runners up and we took the game to them. A lot of people will look at the result and see it as we got battered, but that wasn't the case whatsoever. 

We do now need to beat Bournemouth however. First 5 games we need 2 wins from imo

Edit - and how shocking was the referee!!! Every 50/50 going their way and letting a lot go. Not good by premier league standards

mzjj.jpg

I just can’t be negative to be honest. We were far from favourites for this game and for 45 minutes, with a totally fresh team we had them.

This fixture was a baptism of fire into the premier league today.

we can build on this and from what I saw we will beat quite a few teams in my opinion.

spurs are a quality side and were last seasons champion league finalists.

a few lessons to be had---Jack lad this aint the Championship players are much sharper quicker and can disposess easily without fouling---you cannot linger on the ball in or close to our box--

Wesley needs to tuff up----collapses far far too easily---subs were ineffective Kodj caught dwelling too and Jota looked lost?

but lets not forget Spurs were the 2nd best team in Europe last season--

2 home games now and hopefully chance to get back to winning ways--

VTID--

• Upvote 1

2uhvolf.jpg

passionate_freddy.png

Sounds funny after conceding three goals but I thought Heaton, Mings and Engles looked really good especially given the first time they've all played together in a real match. Got away with a few mistakes but overall very encouraging at the back and Heaton could be the pick of our signings. 

"This is not possible. What McGrath is doing is just not possible with the amount of preparation that he's had."

As Dublin says i thought Mings and Engles paired well in their first real test together how many headed clearences did Tyrone make?and what about that overhead one by Engles!Heaton needs to practice his heading but apart from that i thought he did well.

2uhvolf.jpg

passionate_freddy.png

Mings and Engels I think could be our new Mellberg and Laursen, they were absolutely rock solid. With Heston behind I'm well impressed. 

I'm seeing so many people on Twitter saying we played sh*t. Not sure how? We made a couple mistakes and got punished. But realistically, against the champions league runners up and top four regulars, we had the better first half, and were beating them for over 60 mins. And we're frustrating the hell out of them for 86! 

Bit more fitness and less dwelling on the ball and we'd have taken something from the game. I for one am well impressed.

Two of their goals were lucky as well. First took a deflection off Mings. And Kane's second (I think second) bounced off Mings and Engels straight to him. 

mzjj.jpg

^^^^^ Could,nt agree more !   f.f.s. some folk need to take time out and take a reality check as to who our opponents were---playing at their new home--top 6 regulars --and Champions League runners up last season-----deflections and run of the ball helping with their goals--

2uhvolf.jpg

passionate_freddy.png

I was really impressed with Heaton, Mings and Engels. I thought we got sloppier as the game went on simply because you can't cede that much possession against a team as good as Spurs without tiring more than they do.

Wesley needs to stay on his feet, he looked poor but with so little service or even time in the opposition box its too soon to judge him.

I was concerned at our inability to hold onto the ball for any length of time, but it was one of the best teams in Europe so again too soon to judge.

We look solid at the back, that's a good start.

UTV

In truth, we were second best on the day. We tried to execute a game plan and come up short but there were so many positives to take from the game.

Lessons will be learnt purely because the manager and players alike were united in pinpointing the problems that caused the defeat.

Engels was very impressive!

Mellberg_Signature.png

"Winning isn't everything, but it beats anything that comes in second." - Paul Bryant