Welcome to Aston Villa Forum - avillafan.com

Welcome to Aston Villa Forum - avillafan.com, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Aston Villa Forum - avillafan.com by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Sign in to follow this  
avstu

Transfer rumours

51 minutes ago, avstu said:

I think that the club are laying down the foundations to rebuilding the squad and a few quality players will join later in the summer.

That's my thinking Stu, a lot of potential in the players I mentioned and plenty of room within the squad now to bring in a bit of proven quality.

23 hours ago, Apollo said:

Exactly what they said on the radio.

i just worry about spending so much. 

I was listening to a podcast a couple of weeks ago and they were talking about our finances and reakon we could comfortably spend around the £150M mark and have no financial worries this season or next even if we finished bottom of the table!

Mellberg_Signature.png

"Winning isn't everything, but it beats anything that comes in second." - Paul Bryant

22 hours ago, dorset lion said:

That's my thinking Stu, a lot of potential in the players I mentioned and plenty of room within the squad now to bring in a bit of proven quality.

Without a doubt. They seem to want the club to play a certain way from top to bottom and as Smith said, that attracts a certain type of player. 

Mellberg_Signature.png

"Winning isn't everything, but it beats anything that comes in second." - Paul Bryant

I'm still worried about this rebuild. I'd have definitely kept Elphick and Whelan for a year...

If we sing Mings and Axel it wouldn't be so bad but at the minute we have Chester and Hause at centre back, and Hause hasn't even been confirmed yet. And we have no proper central defensive midfielders. Instead of buying Butland we should be concentrating on a striker, winger (don't think Jota will be first choice, and isn't prem standard), central mid and defence

mzjj.jpg

theres plenty of time yet, and im sure some of the places you just mentioned will be filled, as for elphick and whelan, i doubt they will be a loss, ive never rated them to be honest.

Whelan is 35.  He won't hack it in the Prem.  He just won't.  Elphick has had his chances.  He's not enough.   Smith has got all summer to get the players he needs and he can now go for the players he really wants.  There's no rush.  He'll get it done.

Villa are launching a £14 million bid for Leeds United midfielder Kalvin Phillips. Phillips is emerging as one of Dean Smith’s top targets following promotion to the Premier League with Leeds ready to demand up to £20m for the 23-year-old.

Smith is prioritising a defensive midfielder after the departures of Glenn Whelan and Mile Jedinak and Phillips is seen as a player at the right age with vast potential after a stunning season in the Championship.

John Percy, Telegraph

"the team may be sh*t, but they are our sh*t" boldfinger

8 hours ago, accute attention to derail said:

Whelan is 35.  He won't hack it in the Prem.  He just won't.  Elphick has had his chances.  He's not enough.   Smith has got all summer to get the players he needs and he can now go for the players he really wants.  There's no rush.  He'll get it done.

My main worry is that it could be too much change too soon. Loom at Fulham last year, dismantled the team that got them promoted and spent a tonne, didn't work. 

I want us to do it right. We can't afford to get relegated again

mzjj.jpg

54 minutes ago, JustRich said:

My main worry is that it could be too much change too soon. Loom at Fulham last year, dismantled the team that got them promoted and spent a tonne, didn't work. 

I want us to do it right. We can't afford to get relegated again

Too much change can be a problem but we released players that were not always first choice in the championship and 4 of our first choice outfield players were on loan, we need to make more signings than is ideal but assuming we sell nobody else and we do sign Mings then eight of those who started at Wembley will still be here.

• Like 1

Aston Villa are closing in on the signing of Club Brugge striker Wesley Moraes, according to reports in Belgium.

Reputable outlet HLN.BE is reporting that Villa have agreed a £22m deal with Brugge which will see Moraes become their record signing, eclipsing the initial £18m paid for Darren Bent in 2011.

The 22-year-old is said to have signed a five-year contract with Villa, who are flexing their muscles in the transfer market after securing promotion to the Premier League.

"the team may be sh*t, but they are our sh*t" boldfinger