Jump to content

Welcome to Aston Villa Forum - avillafan.com

Welcome to Aston Villa Forum - avillafan.com, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Aston Villa Forum - avillafan.com by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Sign in to follow this  
avstu

Squad Rebuild

Recommended Posts

Squad Rebuild

A lot is being made about the squad being torn apart this summer but is it such a bad thing? I got reading an article on the main site.

It will allow Dean Smith the opportunity to rebuild without some big contracts holding him back.

 

Players out of contract

  • Mile Jedinak
  • Tommy Elphick
  • Alan Hutton
  • Glenn Whelan
  • Micah Richards
  • Jed Steer
  • Mark Bunn
  • Jordan Lyden

An estimated saving of around: £225k a week

 

Loans deals coming to an end:

  • Tammy Abraham
  • Axel Tuanzebe
  • Anwar El-Ghazi
  • Tyrone Mings
  • Kortney Hause

Some MIGHT be signed/stay but again an estimated saving of around: £160k a week

 

That is some saving for a Championship squad and this doesn't include any sales which Id fully expect Grealish to get a big money move.


Mellberg_Signature.png

"Winning isn't everything, but it beats anything that comes in second." - Paul Bryant

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

19/02/2019 : I have just read the article and agree with it apart from the last bit : the 'inevitable' sale of Jack Grealish.

What is the point of rebuilding the team if you are going to sell off your key player ?!

Doing this smacks of the situation MON faced when Lerner was happy to sell James Milner to Man City. The question needs to be addressed ... what is your priority, football or finance ?

The article itself identifies massive savings through releasing expensive players at the end of their contracts in the summer. This means the financial pressure on AVFC will be less, not more. In turn this weakens any financial reason for selling JG. Long term, failure on the pitch due to undermining the team by selling JG, will affect finances adversely.

Selling Jack Grealish will be a monumental error by AVFC, both for football and finance.

Edited by Larry-AV
Typo.

AVFC RFC SAFC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Larry-AV said:

19/02/2019 : I have just read the article and agree with it apart from the last bit : the 'inevitable' sale of Jack Grealish.

What is the point of rebuilding the team if you are going to sell off your key player ?!

Doing this smacks of the situation MON faced when Lerner was happy to sell James Milner to Man City. The question needs to be addressed ... what is your priority, football or finance ?

The article itself identifies massive savings through releasing expensive players at the end of their contracts in the summer. This means the financial pressure on AVFC will be less, not more. In turn this weakens any financial reason for selling JG. Long term, failure on the pitch due to undermining the team by selling JG, will affect finances adversely.

Selling Jack Grealish will be a monumental error by AVFC, both for football and finance.

I agree Larry but if Tottenham come back in or someone else in the Premier League we cant deprive him of a move as we are a championship team. Also as much as id love Grealish to stay, we have no more parachute payments after this season which i think means that we can spend what we make. So if Grealish goes for 25-30 mil that could be 5-6-7 players that we could be screaming out for. You look at that team with the loans, out of contract, under performing and ageing players i really think we could see between 10-15 players leave. I think the villa will be the busiest team in the summer transfer window, they have to be going on that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those figures quoted are missing one vital thing, we have to pay the players coming in as replacements! clearly they wont be getting the silly 40k per week but championship players are averaging 20-25k a week so those savings wont be as significant as some are expecting. Hasnt Grealish got a 40m buy-out clause in his new contract?? or was that just the duty rumour doing the rounds? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of the players out of contract maybe Steer is worth keeping, we'll see if he gets a run what he can do.

Of the loan players only Abraham is worth keeping and I can't see that happening.

 I'd love  to keep Grealish but I wouldn't now begrudge him a move and as he only ever manages half a season we are going to have to learn how to win without him one way or another to get promoted.

A major rebuild is needed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't understand people coming to terms with Jack going. He hasn't had one full decent season since breaking through as a pro? Through either injury or poor form? Who says anyone will come in for him? For 40mill you'd expect more than someone who gets injured for several months every season, don't you think? 


mzjj.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree with Larry selling Jack would be a mistake strewth look at us now without him "f****g s***"as the Wigan fans so happily told us! Ok we need new blood but with money saved by not renewing several contracts coupled with the return of several youngsters who will then have had match day experience surely a decent side could actually be built around Jack?


2uhvolf.jpg

passionate_freddy.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, JustRich said:

I don't understand people coming to terms with Jack going. He hasn't had one full decent season since breaking through as a pro? Through either injury or poor form? 

I think he's a wonderful player, I also think we rely on him far too much for a player who misses huge chunks of every season.

I don't want him to go but whether he stays here or not we have to build for life without Jack.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, dorset lion said:

I think he's a wonderful player, I also think we rely on him far too much for a player who misses huge chunks of every season.

I don't want him to go but whether he stays here or not we have to build for life without Jack.

We certainly need to learn a.plan B and C. Ever since the MON days we never seem to have any gameplan other than plan A. And it shows when injuries/suspensions kick in


mzjj.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, JustRich said:

We certainly need to learn a.plan B and C. Ever since the MON days we never seem to have any gameplan other than plan A. And it shows when injuries/suspensions kick in

That's a better way of putting what I was getting at Rich, though right now a plan A that works wouldn't go amiss.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...