Welcome to Aston Villa Forum - avillafan.com

Welcome to Aston Villa Forum - avillafan.com, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Aston Villa Forum - avillafan.com by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Sign in to follow this  
rufustfirefly

Please someone DEFEND what we are witnessing!!

Smith is the 5th full time appointment since Lambert and only once has the manager who started the season finished it.

Bruce got us to the play off final that season and then saw his team weakened as rumours we were about to go into administration were widespread.

Back in August most of us feared a relegation battle yet here we are chasing a place in the play offs. I had my doubts about Smith before he came here and I still do but either we give somebody time or we keep on repeating the mistakes of the past decade.

we cant keep on changing managers cos we aint pushing for top 2----i dont agree with all of Smithy,s decisions---and formations---but the players are not fully of his choosing-- he deserves a full season with his chosen men in their rightful positions----at the very least,the players need to man up and adapt to his method if they cant or wont---its simple get out of B6--

Joe-boy saw him slam the ball into the ground at one point yesterday--and give a couple of b******gs when they werent carrying out his instructions  more of this is needed ---and lets not forget the complete and utter shambles Steve Bruce left us in---ONE CB ---a proper CB being played at R.B.? ETC ETC-----

I liked the look of Tyrone Mings yesterday--he is a battler---and eagerly await the return of Jack-( his affection for the club has spread to Tammy and McGinn and i reckon Mings will grab it too, Green is like Jack ---"One of our own")--teaming up with Mings Tammy McGinn and Green-,--oh  -and Axel too lets see what happens then !!

Smithy deserves and must be given time!!!!!

10 minutes ago, freddy said:

we cant keep on changing managers cos we aint pushing for top 2----i dont agree with all of Smithy,s decisions---and formations---but the players are not fully of his choosing-- he deserves a full season with his chosen men in their rightful positions----at the very least,the players need to man up and adapt to his method if they cant or wont---its simple get out of B6--

Joe-boy saw him slam the ball into the ground at one point yesterday--and give a couple of b******gs when they werent carrying out his instructions  more of this is needed ---and lets not forget the complete and utter shambles Steve Bruce left us in---ONE CB ---a proper CB being played at R.B.? ETC ETC-----

I liked the look of Tyrone Mings yesterday--he is a battler---and eagerly await the return of Jack-( his affection for the club has spread to Tammy and McGinn and i reckon Mings will grab it too, Green is like Jack ---"One of our own")--teaming up with Mings Tammy McGinn and Green-,--oh  -and Axel too lets see what happens then !!

Smithy deserves and must be given time!!!!!

Quite right, it's just not an option even if this season does fizzle out. There is no quick solution to this and we have to try and build a team. Look at the likes of Leeds, changing manager all the time and still in this division. Only after about 10+ years do they really look a threat for promotion. 

Some of the defending, formation and selections have worried me but also he was left with a mess thanks to Bruce's negligence over the Summer. As I said after the Summer, Bruce's decision to let Elphick go on loan was reckless and cost us points.

Mings looks a really good signing and I would love one or two more battlers brought in. If we can address the problem areas like fullbacks a younger more mobile Whelan and one or two more smart signings maybe Smith could mount a serious challenge next season.

Also would love to see a stop to the glamour big name signings like El Ghazi over pushing the likes of Green. Big names don't mean success in this division. It should be about the identity and style of the team. In fairness Smith wasn't responsible for any of these mistakes.

"This is not possible. What McGrath is doing is just not possible with the amount of preparation that he's had."

Thing is, when we had Axel and Jack fit, we we're genuinely playing some lovely football. And went on a good run against the top teams in the league. Their injuries was poorly timed and I've no doubt that once they're back, things will improve again. 

I think without grealish there isnt any creativity coming from midfield. That doesn't mean I don't rate mcginn or Hourihane and I genuinely think whelan was great when he come on yesterday same as green who I hope is given more game time in the week at Brentford. I really can't stand the 1 up top thing either, I think it's so negative and as I say without any creativity from midfield it's pointless and put us under to much pressure as we lose possession then our shaky defence has to deal with it. Mings is a proper centre half though, hope we make him a permanent signing. 

Smith deserves time.

He is far from perfect and was an underwhelming appointment for me but he wants to do things the right way. 

If I was to slate him then it would be not changing things earlier when they are going against him. Although I like the style he wants to play, he can't expect players to just adapt - maybe he should adapt until he has more players of his ilk.

The problem he has is Villa fans have suffered for a long time. He has come in after a long time of unhappiness. 

I have always said that i think we, as fans, are part of the problem at the club.

Mellberg_Signature.png

"Winning isn't everything, but it beats anything that comes in second." - Paul Bryant

14 hours ago, avstu said:

Smith deserves time.

He is far from perfect and was an underwhelming appointment for me but he wants to do things the right way. 

If I was to slate him then it would be not changing things earlier when they are going against him. Although I like the style he wants to play, he can't expect players to just adapt - maybe he should adapt until he has more players of his ilk.

The problem he has is Villa fans have suffered for a long time. He has come in after a long time of unhappiness. 

I have always said that i think we, as fans, are part of the problem at the club.

The last sentence is one of the truest things I've ever read on this site. The expectation of the fans doesn't suit the situation we're in. I really think there will be that much of a change to our team starting next season. You look at Brentford right now, that's still a Dean Smith team that he built and they are arguably playing the best football in the league right now with players most would call average. I've wrote this season off personally. I'll still enjoy it and I hope we finish there or there abouts the playoffs. I would of liked to of seen more of our younger players get more game time instead of the journey men like kodjia etc. I really think Smith is playing the only way we really can right now. We are a leaky team and he wants to stop that, all the while we have a weak midfield without grealish. As much as I'd like to see us play 2 up top I don't think this team or these players are capable right now with the players available. I also can't help but think if the fans bought into his project and got behind the team and lowered their expectations the team would play better for it. You can hear in the players interviews and twitter accounts that they need us behind them.