FORUM IS CURRENTLY BEING UPGRADED, PLEASE BEAR WITH US. ×

FA Cup Round 3, Saturday 05/01/2019, Aston Villa 0-3 Swansea City

The better team won today and deservedly so. AVFC never got into this match and were second best all over the pitch.

Attendance : 30,572 (SSN)

AVFC RFC SAFC

19 hours ago, avstu said:

Expecting a few changes and i am hoping for them to be honest. I want to see what and if our fringe players have something to offer.

Nope, only Lansbury 

funniest.gif

• Larry-AV changed the title to FC: Aston Villa 0-3 Swansea

Surprised there wasn't more rested, there has been a few bad games and performances now but to the lads who are going on about Smith f*ck me. This isn't his team. Yes he picks the team but most people agreed when he took the job this is a long term plan. To the lads saying he talks the talk and all that jazz. Stop with the poison man, he hasnt done to bad at all until we lost 2 important players in grealish and tuanzebe. You could even say taylor as well cos let's face it hutton at left back is far from working. Let him bring in his players and give him some time. Struggling to read some of these comments on twitter and stuff I really am starting to think some villa fans are cringe worthy. 

• Like 1

i wondered how long it would take before some fans started to have a go at ds, ffs, this is not his team, he has not brought any players, he is still having to struggle with the crap he took over from  the useless knunt sb left behind, give him a chance to do his own thing, then maybe you can judge him. you can train them, coach them, but you cant force them to do what you want them to do,, if you could there would no such thing as a good or a bad player. time will tell, but right now ds needs all the support from you that he can get. 

• Like 1
16 hours ago, rogerstan said:

i wondered how long it would take before some fans started to have a go at ds, ffs, this is not his team, he has not brought any players, he is still having to struggle with the crap he took over from  the useless knunt sb left behind, give him a chance to do his own thing, then maybe you can judge him. you can train them, coach them, but you cant force them to do what you want them to do,, if you could there would no such thing as a good or a bad player. time will tell, but right now ds needs all the support from you that he can get. 

Although I don't agree with people having a go at Dean Smith. Surely he must be partly responsible for some of the recent performances?

Mellberg_Signature.png

"Winning isn't everything, but it beats anything that comes in second." - Paul Bryant

• avstu unpinned this topic
1 hour ago, avstu said:

Although I don't agree with people having a go at Dean Smith. Surely he must be partly responsible for some of the recent performances?

I respect peoples opinions on it stu and we're all supporters who love the club. Fans will always be more important than any player or manager. I just can't see how Steve Bruces decisions to not get cover at left back and centre back as well as letting Elphick go on loan and other terrible decisions can fall on Smith. You could argue that he could dip into the u23 lads but the fans would moan if that doesn't work out. We've had loads of games over the festive period with a small squad. Jack's injury isn't smiths fault either and my god have we missed him. A lot of this has been bad luck. Over Jan and the summer transfer window window he will buy his players and get rid of what he doesn't need. I really can't see how he is partly to blame mate I really can't see it. I do think villa fans are poisonous sometimes. I've worked all over the country and even other fans from other cities say the same about us. We have a brilliant history but it is history, right now we are where we are. We ain't to good for it. We've been run terribly as a club by owners and other managers. Smith is the brains behind a new project and it will take time as purslow said. 

• Like 1

Some folk need to pull their heads out from up their arse, key injuries and no cover in the back positions have cost us dearly. None of that can be down to DS, that's down to bad luck and p*ss poor planning from the previous manager. Give the guy a chance ffs! 

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, LukeReeves92 said:

I respect peoples opinions on it stu and we're all supporters who love the club. Fans will always be more important than any player or manager. I just can't see how Steve Bruces decisions to not get cover at left back and centre back as well as letting Elphick go on loan and other terrible decisions can fall on Smith. You could argue that he could dip into the u23 lads but the fans would moan if that doesn't work out. We've had loads of games over the festive period with a small squad. Jack's injury isn't smiths fault either and my god have we missed him. A lot of this has been bad luck. Over Jan and the summer transfer window window he will buy his players and get rid of what he doesn't need. I really can't see how he is partly to blame mate I really can't see it. I do think villa fans are poisonous sometimes. I've worked all over the country and even other fans from other cities say the same about us. We have a brilliant history but it is history, right now we are where we are. We ain't to good for it. We've been run terribly as a club by owners and other managers. Smith is the brains behind a new project and it will take time as purslow said. 

First, let me just say I am not anti-Smith. I said on his appointment that it felt a tad underwhelming but he is a Villa man and tends to play football the right way. I will give him time, like the vast majority of our fans.

I am not going to blame him for the defensive negligence that happened under Bruce's watch. However, he has a wealth of options in midfield. An area that has gone missing since the victory over Birmingham.

Smith now has a full week with the squad (something he hasn't had too often since his appointment) and I fully expect much-improved performance and result against Wigan. Our biggest problem since being in this division is performances against the average and less average sides of the division. Similar to what we are watching with Wolves in the Premiership.

As for the small squad comment. I am sure that 80% of managers would snap up our squad in this league.

Mellberg_Signature.png

"Winning isn't everything, but it beats anything that comes in second." - Paul Bryant

The received wisdom when I was a kid was that it took at least 3 years for a manager to build "his" team, we haven't had a manager since MON who could field "his" team. 

With Pitarch in place now there should at least be some continuity so that if Smith ultimately does fail a new coach will be coming into a squad that was assembled with a vision, not some hotchpotch of a squad thrown together by the previous 3 or 4 managers. 

Six months ago administration was a real prospect and relegation seemed inevitable, now we are within a whisker of the play offs. Its been frustrating of late but after seeing us spend years getting our arse's kicked week in week out its not so bad, some patience is required.

• Like 1