Welcome to Aston Villa Forum - avillafan.com

Welcome to Aston Villa Forum - avillafan.com, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Aston Villa Forum - avillafan.com by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Sign in to follow this  
Larry-AV

Deceased List, 2019

01/01/2019 : As with previous threads, this thread exists to enable us to bid R.I.P. in 2019 to persons who have made an impression on us in our lives.

Let us all hope none of us ends up in this thread !

Edited by Larry-AV
Formatting.

08/02/2019 : The actor Albert Finney has died, aged 82. R.I.P.

He played many parts in a long career but for me it was his role as Winston Churchill in 'The Gathering Storm' that impressed me greatly. He physically looked the part and sounded the part too, a very authentic performance. Ronnie Barker came out of retirement to play the role of Mr Irons, Churchill's personal servant and head butler in the programme.

Ronnie Barker played his role straight, but a little bit of humour was allowed in. Churchill was having trouble with his Constituency Party and they phoned him at Chartwell, where the play was set. Churchill asked Irons to go and answer the phone but Irons refused, saying he was not acquainted with the equipment (!), at which point Churchill berated Irons for not being able to answer the phone and stormed out of the room to answer the phone himself, his parting shot to Irons being, 'I am a great man' ... to which Irons, under his breath and once Churchill had left, replied 'More like a daft old bugger'.

The play was set in the 1930s, Churchill's wilderness years, when he was constantly warning about the growing danger from Nazi Germany. Another scene had him sitting in the garden path, talking to a colleague from Parliament. Opposite was a pig chomping apples. He mused to to his colleague that 'Dogs look up to you, cats look down on you, pigs treat you as equals'.

The play ended  in 1939 when War was declared and Churchill was recalled as First Lord of the Admiralty. He entered the building to be told by the duty officer that a signal had been sent to the Fleet. 'What was the signal ?' Churchill asked and was told : 'Winston is back' ... 'And so he bloody well is !' was Churchill's happy response.

A very good actor has gone.

10/02/2019 : I have just found out on Twitter (from AVFC Official) that our former Captain Ian Ross has died.

Here is my reply on Twitter, sharing it here.

I remember Ian Ross joining AVFC and his class shone through from his first match. Sad that he is no longer with us. R.I.P. Ian Ross ... Captain, Leader, Legend.

RIP Gordan Banks.

Gentleman and footballing legend.

RIP Gordon banks

I vision that world class save from pele whenever his name is mentioned

R.I.P. Gordon Banks O.B.E. ... to use his full title.

I saw him play when he was at Leicester City, a long time ago. It must have been an off-day for Gordon !

1964/1965 24/04/1965 Tottenham Hotspur 6 - 2 Leicester City Div 1 : 6

That was the 6th match I attended.