Welcome to Aston Villa Forum - avillafan.com

Welcome to Aston Villa Forum - avillafan.com, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Aston Villa Forum - avillafan.com by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

avstu

January Transfer Talk

1 hour ago, Larry-AV said:

CV's post above shows the correct route to take, not only for this Season, but for every Season.

The primary and ongoing policy should always be to develop our own players to 1st team level.

Next there are transfers in, where the player fills a gap, due to a player leaving or we do not have cover in that position, or augments the squad, where we need extra cover for a position. In all cases the player transferred in should be as good as or better than the players we already have. Finally each new player should have a long-term resale value that is higher than our purchase price (although an exception would be made to this with a stop-gap older player).

As for loan players, they can be useful, very useful at times, but unless they have the purchase option CV mentioned, it would be folly to rely on them long term. They are not our future and their departure can and will neccesitate further dealings in the transfer market. At least this knowledge should ensure that DS and the management team prepare well ahead of time to deal with these future scenarios.

Agree with this 110%. I don’t want to get into criticising former managers but at times our transfer policy (if there ever was an actual policy) seemed absolutely desperate, like throwing a jelly against the wall hoping something would stick.

The amount of players we have signed over the last few seasons that haven’t worked out is frightening, especially given their salaries, which as we saw over the last Summer very nearly sank our beloved club forever. This was never going to be sustainable, and personally I would much rather us patiently build success rather than trying to buy it.

I feel much more confident with Dean in place as Head Coach, with the necessary structure around him, rather than the traditional manager figure overseeing everything, being left to his own devices. Coaching should be at the very heart of the development of our club, and listening to recent interviews from Purslow, this is now exactly what we are doing. 

Fully agree with the previous 3 posts. It would be lovely if the fan base at large would buy into it and stop panicking and booing when things aren’t quite right. 

Talk of Andre Green returning. Only makes sense if at least one wide man is leaving, although I think he’ll improve massively under Smith. 

12 minutes ago, Andy said:

Talk of Andre Green returning. Only makes sense if at least one wide man is leaving, although I think he’ll improve massively under Smith. 

Where does he fit in though?

Mellberg_Signature.png

"Winning isn't everything, but it beats anything that comes in second." - Paul Bryant

15 hours ago, Andy said:

I,d be glad to see him back--put pressure on Albert El Ghazi and Bolasie---none of whom are consistant---1 decent game and then below par dont seem interested showings----Green will put some blinking effort in and break into a sweat!!!

2uhvolf.jpg

passionate_freddy.png

1 hour ago, freddy said:

I,d be glad to see him back--put pressure on Albert El Ghazi and Bolasie---none of whom are consistant---1 decent game and then below par dont seem interested showings----Green will put some blinking effort in and break into a sweat!!!

Green has the ability and aptitude to improve massively and fit into the system, with decent coaching. He’ll certainly graft for the team off the ball and get into good areas when attacking. He’s got ability, just needs direction and guidance. 

17 hours ago, avstu said:

Where does he fit in though?

Could try el ghazi in a grealish like position just behind the forward and play green out wide. He has pace, skill and he is young. Make complete sense to me from what I've seen of him. 

38 minutes ago, JustRich said:

According to one of the Villa pages on Facebook Rico Henry is having a medical today 

I’ve heard this too. Really talented lad and could really improve us down that side.