Welcome to Aston Villa Forum - avillafan.com

Welcome to Aston Villa Forum - avillafan.com, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Aston Villa Forum - avillafan.com by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

avstu

January Transfer Talk

If he goes he goes, I agree with what Lifelongvilla said a few posts ago, misses a lot and often lacks composure.

He has been made the focal point of our attack while the player we own has been left on the bench or the wing, Abraham or not there are goals in this squad, conceding is the problem.

12 minutes ago, avstu said:

Does the Charity shield count though?

I don’t know about that, but U23s does. 

30 minutes ago, dorset lion said:

If he goes he goes, I agree with what Lifelongvilla said a few posts ago, misses a lot and often lacks composure.

He has been made the focal point of our attack while the player we own has been left on the bench or the wing, Abraham or not there are goals in this squad, conceding is the problem.

Agree with this and its something I said also. But equally, he scores many too. I wouldn't sign him if we did do the miracle and go up but in this division, he is proving is worth!

Mellberg_Signature.png

"Winning isn't everything, but it beats anything that comes in second." - Paul Bryant

22 minutes ago, Andy said:

I don’t know about that, but U23s does. 

From the Fifa website:

A player may only be registered with one club at a time. Players may be registered with a maximum of three clubs during one season. During this period, the player is only eligible to play official matches for two clubs.

Link

Mellberg_Signature.png

"Winning isn't everything, but it beats anything that comes in second." - Paul Bryant

2 minutes ago, avstu said:

From the Fifa website:

Link

I read that, but apparently U23 games count. Not sure though as non registered players can play too, like Samba did for us. Needs clarifying. 

Just now, Andy said:

I read that, but apparently U23 games count. Not sure though as non registered players can play too, like Samba did for us. Needs clarifying. 

Not great really. Sums up fifa i guess

Mellberg_Signature.png

Currently it’s only TA and his hit or miss ratio that’s keeping us from not being in the relegation zone!

Yes he’s got a lot to learn,and yes I wouldn’t sign him,but atm he’s our ray of sunshine.On paper we should have no issues scoring goals,also on paper we should be winning the league at a canter!

Reality is we need DS to do some shrewd business in the next 3 windows at least and clean out these over paid floops!!

wZaXfsX.jpg

57 minutes ago, rufustfirefly said:

Currently it’s only TA and his hit or miss ratio that’s keeping us from not being in the relegation zone!

Yes he’s got a lot to learn,and yes I wouldn’t sign him,but atm he’s our ray of sunshine.On paper we should have no issues scoring goals,also on paper we should be winning the league at a canter!

Reality is we need DS to do some shrewd business in the next 3 windows at least and clean out these over paid floops!!

Entirely agree. For me Abraham and Bolasie represent the end of boom and bust at Villa. No more short term thinking, time to start investing time and effort in our own players and building something sustainable. Dean Smith is the man to do that imo, even if it takes 3-4 seasons. It would be lovely to get promoted, but it shouldn’t be the be-all-and-end-all. 

I have to agree with the sentiment of a number on the posts here that the loan system should not form part of our future vision, unless the loan has a favourable option to buy such as the El Ghazi deal. This approach will always leave us in a transient state of constant rebuilding, never really having a settled side we can call our own.

This season seems particularly fraught with the current fashion of recalling players, potentially providing us with a crisis mid-season, with the possibility of losing a striker who could easily score 30 goals for us this season.

Personally I would like to see a clear route for our own academy players from the U23’s into the first team. Grealish has clearly demonstrated what can be achieved with patience and opportunity.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

CV's post above shows the correct route to take, not only for this Season, but for every Season.

The primary and ongoing policy should always be to develop our own players to 1st team level.

Next there are transfers in, where the player fills a gap, due to a player leaving or we do not have cover in that position, or augments the squad, where we need extra cover for a position. In all cases the player transferred in should be as good as or better than the players we already have. Finally each new player should have a long-term resale value that is higher than our purchase price (although an exception would be made to this with a stop-gap older player).

As for loan players, they can be useful, very useful at times, but unless they have the purchase option CV mentioned, it would be folly to rely on them long term. They are not our future and their departure can and will neccesitate further dealings in the transfer market. At least this knowledge should ensure that DS and the management team prepare well ahead of time to deal with these future scenarios.

Edited by Larry-AV
Typo.

AVFC RFC SAFC