FORUM IS CURRENTLY BEING UPGRADED, PLEASE BEAR WITH US. ×

What defines a big football club?

Crowds  , trophies won and what league you're in. But it's like cocks,  it's no good having a big one if you don't know how to use it.  The same goes to owners of clubs. 

fliegetn0.gif

It used to be history etc but not so anymore.

I think the modern bay big club makes enough money to run itself, is successful and has a good consistent fan base.

Mellberg_Signature.png

"Winning isn't everything, but it beats anything that comes in second." - Paul Bryant

I say history/trophies won

fan base

look at Red star Belgrade huge club one of the best club teams to grace the game in the late80s/early 90s,the young team nowadays couldn't tell ye what league they play in ffs lol

Ajax & Benfica aswell even bigger clubs than Red Star 

m2ThHd1o-KvVhMbtbmLiE8Q.jpg

controversial_dimitri.png

21 hours ago, avstu said:

It used to be history etc but not so anymore.

I think the modern bay big club makes enough money to run itself, is successful and has a good consistent fan base.

Half the clubs in the premier league could turn a profit without fans attending now because of TV revenue, take that TV revenue away and half of them would have less financial muscle than Sunderland. 

For me current success and whether or not a club is big are two different things.

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 8:42 PM, Dimitri said:

What defines a big football club?

in your opinion?

I'd say a club in the bottom half of the championship pulling in over 40,000 fans against Swansea because they've just hired the Brentford boss is a big club, but I am slightly biased.

23 minutes ago, dorset lion said:

I'd say a club in the bottom half of the championship pulling in over 40,000 fans against Swansea because they've just hired the Brentford boss is a big club, but I am slightly biased.

Villa have good history though a EC makes for a big club imo and they will always have good attendences 

I also remember skysports coverage back in the 90s adverts it used to show EPL clubs it was always the top2 man utd & Liverpool but villa were in the clips aswell along with the big2 from London arsenal & spurs I was drawn to the villa away kit(muller sponser) in thon advert

nowadays it f**kin Chelsea & Man city ffs,

4 minutes ago, Dimitri said:

I also remember skysports coverage back in the 90s adverts it used to show EPL clubs it was always the top2 man utd & Liverpool but villa were in the clips aswell along with the big2 from London arsenal & spurs I was drawn to the villa away kit(muller sponser) in thon advert

nowadays it f**kin Chelsea & Man city ffs,

Look at all the football adverts from sky this year. The likes of United, Chelsea, etc etc. Oh and Villa 

DjBv8GPX4AEZeFm.jpg

Mellberg_Signature.png

"Winning isn't everything, but it beats anything that comes in second." - Paul Bryant