FORUM IS CURRENTLY BEING UPGRADED, PLEASE BEAR WITH US. ×

Doug Ellis dies aged 94

JustRich

like him or dislike him there can be no doubt that Sir Doug loved Aston Villa F.C.

R.I.P. Sir Doug.

Condolences and Sympathy,s to Sir Doug,s family.

2uhvolf.jpg

passionate_freddy.png

I don't view the past with rose tinted specs.  He did truly care about the club, there was never any doubt about that, but if it were up to him we would still be paddling in our own p*ss in ancient toilets.  Sometimes he loved it too much, which made him incapable of not interfering with playing matters, which cost us several managers.  He also hired several terrible managers (Turner, McNeil, Venglos).  He did save the club from ruin, no doubt about it.  His predecessors were not exactly honest, and left quite a mess.  The Bendalls loathed him, which raises him in my estimation (I once worked for the two sons).  I am old enough to remember the days of hearing the attendance at the end of the game over the p.a. and the groans of seasoned supporters who, with years of experience,  could tell by looking that the crowd was bigger than the club were claiming.  The 'Doug Ellis Alternative Accounting System' as my mate referred to it.   This was back in the days of cash on the gate. 

I have to say that I do prefer his kind of old school, rags to riches, local boy done good type chairmen to some of the city traders, oligarchs, arms dealers and Ernst Blofeld types that buy clubs nowadays.  Those old cigar smoking, Rolls Royce driving bosses may have often been dodgy spivs and shifty operators, but they were our rogues, local blokes who actually supported the clubs they owned.  For all their faults, the Doug Ellises of the football world represented a more innocent time in the game.

Was generally gutted when I heard the news. I know everyone always has their stories about people like Doug.

From my time supporting Villa it was clear he loved the club and at the time seemed like he took the club as far as he could in the time. His desire to be there each and every week shows you everything you need to know about the man. Away from football, he helped so many charities, especially children charities in Birmingham. 

Something silly to some and a nothing story really but I will always remember going to a summer football camp and waiting for a bus. He drove past us and slowed down as me and my friends all had Villa colours on and made a point at waving at us. Something I know a lot of modern-day owners would even contemplate doing. 

Mellberg_Signature.png

"Winning isn't everything, but it beats anything that comes in second." - Paul Bryant

Of course it always frustrating with Doug when he was chairman, seemed very tight on the budget however looking back now we know it was for the best interest of the club, a club he loved and would do anything for. It will be sad to think we will never see him at Villa Park again! he was part of the furniture.  RIP Doug!

Archived