Welcome to Aston Villa Forum - avillafan.com

Welcome to Aston Villa Forum - avillafan.com, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Aston Villa Forum - avillafan.com by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Dublin Villain

Dean Smith

29/11/2019 : Dean Smith has today signed a 4 year contract extension, running to 2023. No word as yet regarding John Terry and Richard O'Kelly.

AVFC RFC SAFC

15 hours ago, Larry-AV said:

29/11/2019 : Dean Smith has today signed a 4 year contract extension, running to 2023. No word as yet regarding John Terry and Richard O'Kelly.

I hope Dean Smith is here for many years to come and I'd expect Richard O'Kelly to remain as his sidekick as for John Terry I expect he'll be off at some point in the next year or two to start his own managerial career. I wish him well...accept for when he's up against The Villa.

On 11/30/2019 at 1:34 PM, dorset lion said:

I hope Dean Smith is here for many years to come and I'd expect Richard O'Kelly to remain as his sidekick as for John Terry I expect he'll be off at some point in the next year or two to start his own managerial career. I wish him well...accept for when he's up against The Villa.

Not sure what i think about a four year deal. I like what Smith is doing but i feel it is a big gamble for someone who is still learning at this level himself.

Mellberg_Signature.png

"Winning isn't everything, but it beats anything that comes in second." - Paul Bryant

Do you think this could be a panic reaction due to other clubs sackings? 

2 hours ago, avstu said:

Not sure what i think about a four year deal. I like what Smith is doing but i feel it is a big gamble for someone who is still learning at this level himself.

Agreed, last time we did this we gave Paul Lambert a big bumper contract and we know how that turned out.  We are two results away from being in trouble or likewise pushing for the top six.  

Personally would have waited to see how the season panned out before handing out a four year deal.

"the team may be sh*t, but they are our sh*t" boldfinger

Contracts don't mean very much these days and I'm sure there is all sorts of clauses. Smith has the makings of one of the best managers in the country in my opinion so why not try and provide as much stability as possible within the club. I like the way it was done, no major fuss. If you weren't a Villa fan I doubt you'd have even heard of this contract extension. 

The club appears to have a very clear vision and for the first time in a long time we are running really smoothly with no silly promises. 

"This is not possible. What McGrath is doing is just not possible with the amount of preparation that he's had."

Seems odd timing, I can only assume that it's due to other clubs sacking players like Apollo suggested. 

I'd have waited until the end of the season personally. 4 years is a long time and you can clearly tell Smith is new in the premier league. He'll make a lot of mistakes which is to be expected for his inexperience at this level

mzjj.jpg

21 hours ago, markymark said:

Agreed, last time we did this we gave Paul Lambert a big bumper contract and we know how that turned out.  We are two results away from being in trouble or likewise pushing for the top six.  

Personally would have waited to see how the season panned out before handing out a four year deal.

We should have just given him a bonus or a pay rise for getting us promoted.

10 hours ago, Dublin Villain said:

Contracts don't mean very much these days and I'm sure there is all sorts of clauses. Smith has the makings of one of the best managers in the country in my opinion so why not try and provide as much stability as possible within the club. I like the way it was done, no major fuss. If you weren't a Villa fan I doubt you'd have even heard of this contract extension. 

The club appears to have a very clear vision and for the first time in a long time we are running really smoothly with no silly promises. 

Although i dont disagree with what you are saying - as markymark said - we have been hurt before. Maybe as a fan i am being over cautious.

7 hours ago, JustRich said:

Seems odd timing, I can only assume that it's due to other clubs sacking players like Apollo suggested. 

I'd have waited until the end of the season personally. 4 years is a long time and you can clearly tell Smith is new in the premier league. He'll make a lot of mistakes which is to be expected for his inexperience at this level

I know i have said i was surprised by it but i wonder if it has something to do with the managers? Similar with Sterling who wont sign a new deal at City until Pep signs.

Mellberg_Signature.png

"Winning isn't everything, but it beats anything that comes in second." - Paul Bryant

2 hours ago, avstu said:

We should have just given him a bonus or a pay rise for getting us promoted.

Although i dont disagree with what you are saying - as markymark said - we have been hurt before. Maybe as a fan i am being over cautious.

I know i have said i was surprised by it but i wonder if it has something to do with the managers? Similar with Sterling who wont sign a new deal at City until Pep signs.

Could be. Its a massive signal of intent that's for sure. 

mzjj.jpg

It will be an interesting tactical battle tonight, that could tell us much on this debate.