Welcome to Aston Villa Forum - avillafan.com

Welcome to Aston Villa Forum - avillafan.com, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Aston Villa Forum - avillafan.com by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

ASTON VILLA v DERBY COUNTY

VILLA PARK, BIRMINGHAM

SATURDAY 28TH APRIL 2018

CHAMPIONSHIP

Hope we stick with Grabban up front  and not a fully fit Kodja .  We only need a point from this to have 4th place guaranteed. With Grealish being the target of opposing teams it might be worth resting him for the play offs , especially if Cardiff win on Tuesday 

I luv to watch Jack he brings something to the pitch that no other player can.

But i tend to agree with Pat it might be wise to err on the side of caution imo for the next two games both against clubs pushing for a top 6 spot,Millwall are bound to go for it fired up by the crowd and with players like Cahill who should have been sent off against Fulham for a deliberate elbow on Fredericks within 10 minutes of coming on and then went on to take Cairney out,

Jacks sublime skills could well be too much for them especially with Villa already having booked a play off spot and he will become an unnecessary target and might well be best rested for the play offs.

4th is guaranteed and almost certainly where we will finish but any decision about how to approach the last two games has to wait until after the Derby v Cardiff game on Tuesday, if Cardiff win we can't catch them, if Derby win we still have a slim chance of 2nd.

If we beat Derby ( assuming they'd beaten Cardiff ) and Cardiff fail to win at Hull on Saturday we will still be in the fight for 2nd on the final day.

That final day could have a few twists and turns with Cardiff and Fulham both facing teams that hopefully will still be fighting to stay up.

1 hour ago, dorset lion said:

4th is guaranteed and almost certainly where we will finish but any decision about how to approach the last two games has to wait until after the Derby v Cardiff game on Tuesday, if Cardiff win we can't catch them, if Derby win we still have a slim chance of 2nd.

If we beat Derby ( assuming they'd beaten Cardiff ) and Cardiff fail to win at Hull on Saturday we will still be in the fight for 2nd on the final day.

That final day could have a few twists and turns with Cardiff and Fulham both facing teams that hopefully will still be fighting to stay up.

Well I'm going into work today to book Tuesday the 15th of May off. The date of the semi final 2nd leg  play off match at Villa Park. 

2 hours ago, Patrick said:

Well I'm going into work today to book Tuesday the 15th of May off. The date of the semi final 2nd leg  play off match at Villa Park. 

A sensible move Pat, its 90% certain we'll be 4th....but imagine if Bruce rested players, we failed to win and it turned out 2 wins would have seen us in 2nd spot, he'd be called every name under the sun.

3 hours ago, dorset lion said:

A sensible move Pat, its 90% certain we'll be 4th....but imagine if Bruce rested players, we failed to win and it turned out 2 wins would have seen us in 2nd spot, he'd be called every name under the sun.

I'm almost certain we will win our last 2 games ,  still finish 4th and play boro in the semis  ?

Edited by Patrick

EFL1 (Championship), Saturday 28/04/2018 : Aston Villa v Derby County, KO 15:00 hours.

23/04/2018 : I have my ticket for this game, Upper Trinity Row A. It could be a 40k full house on Saturday.

Prediction, made today : Aston Villa 2-1 Derby County

Brilliant win for Derby tonight against Cardiff. Dorset is right, no resting  of players should take place . Although this result may make Saturday's match tougher our chances of second place have increased dramatically . I'm starting to believe. 

25/04/2018 : Updated table showing the remaining games for the top four teams.
Cardiff's defeat at Derby means AVFC still has the mathematical chance of 2nd place.

EFL1 (Championship) 2017-2018 - Top four final games.
# Team             Pld   W   D   L   GD  Pts  Max  Week 45       Week 46
1 Wolverhampton W  44   30   8   6   46   98  104  H Sheff Wed   A Sunderland
2 Cardiff City     44   26   8  10   28   86   92  A Hull City   H Reading
3 Fulham           44   24  13   7   34   85   91  H Sunderland  A Birmingham
4 Aston Villa      44   24  10  10   31   82   88  H Derby       A Millwall
5 Middlesbrough    44   21   9  14   20   72   78