Welcome to Aston Villa Forum - avillafan.com

Welcome to Aston Villa Forum - avillafan.com, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Aston Villa Forum - avillafan.com by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Sign in to follow this  
avstu

Winning or Stylish football

When Steve Bruce was appointed, I think we all knew that any chance of stylish football was slim but he would put us in a position which would see us potentially get promoted.

Although we are not quite there yet, the playoffs look a very real possibility.

However, it has got me thinking. When we are winning you can kind of push the style of football to one side but when we are losing it is hard to do the same. Yesterday, 5 minutes into the game, a friend of mine text me saying "boring Villa" and it was hard to disagree.

I can't think of one game since Bruce has been here that I have enjoyed and been entertaining for 90 minutes of football. I have enjoyed going to the football and beating certain teams like the 4-1 thrashing of Wolves a few weeks back but it was more about the whole day out with friends than the actual performance as a whole. I know others will have different views.

The point I am getting at - regardless of what happens to Villa this summer, I want to change. I want a manager who wants to play entertaining football and wants to entertain the supporters.

I was just wondering what everyone else's views on this were?

A manager who knows what he is doing would be nice and yes it would be great  to watch a team that plays good football like wolves , cardiff , fulham or  millwall 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Patrick said:

A manager who knows what he is doing would be nice and yes it would be great  to watch a team that plays good football like wolves , cardiff , fulham or  millwall 

I am just bored of grinding out results. Even the 3-0 win over Reading wasn't good on the eye and I would say they are the worse side we have played since being in this division.

Any manager in this division would be absolutely delighted to have a squad as talented as ours, yet we play some of the most dire football in the division. I have never been part of the Bruce out campaign up until now, even through our previous bad patches.  He is a man completely without ideas and I agree any game we do win is a grind which should not be the case in the Championship especially after the money that has been pumped into the team.

When we go behind he puts on every striker we have (a tactic used sparingly by even a Football Manager player)  and takes off any player that could supply them with service. I would be very interested to know how many points we have gained from a losing position since Bruce took over. He deserves credit for coming in and steadying the ship last season after a dismal start, but we should have been pushing on. I know some will say we are in the play-offs and what do you expect of Aston Villa etc. but I would counter that by saying a fan of any championship club would kill  to have our squad (outside of Wolves perhaps) and we should be challenging to win this league never mind playing catch up with Cardiff for God's sake.

Bruce, to me is another one of English football's tactical dinosaurs that walks from top job to top job based on long gone achievements like Pardew, Pulis, Hughes, Moyes, the list goes on. They are remnants of a bygone era. Men without new ideas, men who rely on stone-age tactics and have no idea how to get the best out of individual players attributes. I remember he was praised for utilising Snodgrass on the right rather than the left. If that is the height of your tactical awareness than there is not much left to say about your ability.

We brought in two very competent attacking players in Hourihane and Hogan. They were used so poorly that I was frustrated watching them play. Both came in with lots of goals in them and it is only now that we are seeing how much Hourihane can contribute when played in a more forward role. This was after months of playing him much deeper where his talents didn't particularly lie. Hogan on the other hand has not contributed what was expected of him from me when we signed him. Purely because he is used so badly. Again, this is entirely down to Bruce not having a notion how to use him.

Apologies for the long post but I think it's time to give a manager who is at least willing to take the chance at flowing football. Sure it might not always work and of course we're never going to be Barcelona but at least you could come home after losing 3-1 to Norwich and say we were exciting, we probed, we had opportunities. Which you definitely could not say after yesterday. It was dismal, it was lifeless and most depressingly of all it was clueless.

Two managers that I like are Monk and Rowett but sadly we have missed out on both of them to Birmingham. They are now tainted and I don't think we could touch them with a barge-pole because they would be doomed to fail at Villa. So who does that leave? The only other possibility for me is Lee Johnson, because he's at a lesser club and at least tries to play football. In reality we can't attract any decent manager and I feel that regardless of if Bruce somehow gets us up through the play-offs he should be thanked and sent on his way. He'll once again land on his feet at a decent club based on his past glories and continue with the same failed tactics that all the previously mentioned mangers are still getting away with.

Again sorry for the long post, I'm lying up doing nothing today so I said I'll bore people to death with my thoughts. Bye now.

• Like 2

That is a very good, thoughtful and analytical post, Tony, no need to apologise for its length.

AVFC should not baulk at hiring someone like Monk or Rowett just because they also manged BCFC (as did Bruce and McLeish). The anti-McLeish attitude due to his association with BCFC was stupid, but anti-McLeish and anti-Bruce sentiments based on their defensive approach to the game were and are legitimate. Especially so now, when these tactics reduce the effectiveness of our team and its prospects, as you have expressed so well in your post today (08/04/2018).

Edited by Larry-AV
Typo.

37 minutes ago, TonysWalnuts said:

Bruce, to me is another one of English football's tactical dinosaurs that walks from top job to top job based on long gone achievements like Pardew, Pulis, Hughes, Moyes, the list goes on. They are remnants of a bygone era. Men without new ideas, men who rely on stone-age tactics and have no idea how to get the best out of individual players attributes. 

Not sure if you would put Neil Warnock in that bracket Tone , but if we don't win the play offs i would like him as manager next season , I don't think the fans would accept another x blues manager

I would put Neil Warnock in that bracket. Obviously he's done the business this season. The fans would definitely not accept another blues manager I was saying its a pity we missed out on them because of this. I can understand why people would want him to stay around, a safe pair of hands, is that all we aspire to though. If we don't win the play-offs I think it shows just how far we've fallen that is acceptable for a club of our stature to not compete for automatic promotion and to accept a manager who has failed to deliver even a play-off win. 

the team we have now are more than good enough to win the championships league, PROVIDING they are managed right, at the moment they are not, simply because we have a manager that really has not got a clue, and ive been saying that all through the season, i wouldn't like to say or cannot say who i prefer to take the place of sb, as there are not many managers that would be capable or who would WANT  to take the job on, i feel sure we are destined for another season in this league, and unless we get the manager right, we could spend many more seasons in the championships and become another leeds,  so hears hoping sb gets sacked or resigns  at the very most at the end of the season,. 

52 minutes ago, TonysWalnuts said:

I would put Neil Warnock in that bracket. Obviously he's done the business this season. The fans would definitely not accept another blues manager I was saying its a pity we missed out on them because of this. I can understand why people would want him to stay around, a safe pair of hands, is that all we aspire to though. If we don't win the play-offs I think it shows just how far we've fallen that is acceptable for a club of our stature to not compete for automatic promotion and to accept a manager who has failed to deliver even a play-off win. 

I agree with you and avstu  Tone , ABB next season , anyone but Bruce  ( but not x blues)  even if we are in the prem. Rowett would of been a good appointment after de matteo got the sack , but not now  ,, not after what bruce has done to the club.  Monk looks a good appointment for Blues , maybe they could challenge for the play offs  next season with him if they can stay up.