Welcome to Aston Villa Forum - avillafan.com

Welcome to Aston Villa Forum - avillafan.com, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Aston Villa Forum - avillafan.com by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

freddy

The Ones That Got Away

I have been thinking about some of the players who have left Villa Park,and how some have faired since,

apart from Barry Miner Young and Delph--who all went onto some will say to bigger and better things:

Downing---West Ham now Boro----might face us again in the play offs---would,nt want him back,

Albrighton---Won the premiership with Leicester--can hit a peach of a cross over and score goals himself---a Vila fan and by accounts didnt really want to leave,--would welcome his return,

Bennett----got rid far too early imo,a decent left back as he is showing at Cardiff- could well be playing premiership football next season---and what are we now crying out for ?? a good left back!!!!!---Taylor seems to be looking more and more woeful with every performance--i cant grasp the fact he is an international footballer and ithought he was half decent at Swansea,

Hogg----again one who was disposed of much too soon-----had a great game with Albrighton way back when we held the mighty Manchester United 2-2 at Villa Park,undr Houllier i think--the lad previously being unheard of,---a friend follows Huddersfield and regularily lets me know how well the lad is doing!--again what are we in desperate need of?  a midfield player who can bite aint afraid and can f******g well tackle!!!!

Ayew----has scored a couple of goals at Swansea----seemed a bit mardy to me at times---and will never forget his red card at West Ham,!!

Amavi   --i thought he was  decent player--but was never the same after his injury--no idea how he,s doing nowadays,

Sylla---Makoun,-----to me never really lived up to all the hype,

Gaye---Ireland   ---both gave me the impression that they really did,nt want to be at Villa,

Westwood,-----in and out of the Burnley side----

Lowton------again imo got rid too soon--seems to be a regular at Turf Moor,

Benteke----never really hit the expected limelight,

obviously the list dont end there--and other members will conjure up yet more names,--

but off the top of my head the above are the ones that immeditely spring to mind and the opinions are mine --some might agree no doubt some disagree,

if asked who i thought we got rid of too soon and wished were still donning the Claret and Blue---i would immediately say::::

Albrighton----Hogg ----Bennett  ----Lowton--------without doubt::::

14 minutes ago, freddy said:

I have been thinking about some of the players who have left Villa Park,and how some have faired since,

apart from Barry Miner Young and Delph--who all went onto some will say to bigger and better things:

Downing---West Ham now Boro----might face us again in the play offs---would,nt want him back,

Albrighton---Won the premiership with Leicester--can hit a peach of a cross over and score goals himself---a Vila fan and by accounts didnt really want to leave,--would welcome his return,

Bennett----got rid far too early imo,a decent left back as he is showing at Cardiff- could well be playing premiership football next season---and what are we now crying out for ?? a good left back!!!!!---Taylor seems to be looking more and more woeful with every performance--i cant grasp the fact he is an international footballer and ithought he was half decent at Swansea,

Hogg----again one who was disposed of much too soon-----had a great game with Albrighton way back when we held the mighty Manchester United 2-2 at Villa Park,undr Houllier i think--the lad previously being unheard of,---a friend follows Huddersfield and regularily lets me know how well the lad is doing!--again what are we in desperate need of?  a midfield player who can bite aint afraid and can f******g well tackle!!!!

Ayew----has scored a couple of goals at Swansea----seemed a bit mardy to me at times---and will never forget his red card at West Ham,!!

Amavi   --i thought he was  decent player--but was never the same after his injury--no idea how he,s doing nowadays,

Sylla---Makoun,-----to me never really lived up to all the hype,

Gaye---Ireland   ---both gave me the impression that they really did,nt want to be at Villa,

Westwood,-----in and out of the Burnley side----

Lowton------again imo got rid too soon--seems to be a regular at Turf Moor,

Benteke----never really hit the expected limelight,

obviously the list dont end there--and other members will conjure up yet more names,--

but off the top of my head the above are the ones that immeditely spring to mind and the opinions are mine --some might agree no doubt some disagree,

if asked who i thought we got rid of too soon and wished were still donning the Claret and Blue---i would immediately say::::

Albrighton----Hogg ----Bennett  ----Lowton--------without doubt::::

Some interesting names there, out of that lot letting Albrighton was the biggest mistake Villa made especially when you know he was let go on a free, it boiled down to the fact that Lambert didn't like him. Houllier and McLeish and even further back to O'Neill liked the look of him. 

Lowton wasn't a great right back, but I seen a lot more potential in him playing more in an attacking position. Had great some great pace on him, along with a good shot on him. Never got my head round why Lambert got rid, considering he's the one who signed him?

Bacuna could go on that list, showed lots of potential but just couldn't find him the right position. They tried Right back, right winger, left back, left wing, centre midfielder but just couldn't get settled. Perhaps needed the right manager to get the past out of him.

Karim El Ahmadi is another, seem to recall him scoring an epic goal against Man City a few years ago, was suppose to be an defensive midfielder though his defensive duties were pretty poor. Probably like Lowton needed an more attacking position. Lambert supposedly let go as Karim felt homesick and wanted a return to holland.  

Andreas Weimann awesome pace on him, to be honest I'd luv him in our squad now, may not score many but certainly troubles defenders. Good player bring when your drawing 0-0 with half an hour to go against a fragile defence. 

^^^^  Ahhhh man forgot clean about Andi Andi Weimann,---was a trier always liked him made space and created for others, yes i,d certainly have the lad back      Cheers,

was never a fan of El Ahmadi   thought he lacked bite,

Bacuna could never fathom him out---seemed always to be grinning win loose or draw----never forgive him for the red card v PNE   when 2-0 up that seemed to inspire them so much so that they squared it 2 all.

4 minutes ago, Larry-AV said:

Thanks Larry   i kept getting a message----on the lines of--- not posted please complete where annoted!!   reckon in future might be best to wait longer before pressing the post key and see what happens,

thanks again for putting it right,

2 minutes ago, freddy said:

Thanks Larry   i kept getting a message----on the lines of--- not posted please complete where annoted!!   reckon in future might be best to wait longer before pressing the post key and see what happens,

thanks again for putting it right,

No worries, Freddy.

There might be a problem with the Site software, so I will raise this in the Feedback area.

I wouldn't have sold nathen baker who i think has done well at bristol. I was only thinking yesterday we could do with him on the bench when terry went off briefly.  But by and large terry hasn't missed many games and chester none , so baker would of been on the bench most of the season and he is too good for that ,   (don't know whats happened to samba)

Albrighton came to the end of his contract. He didn't want to leave and Lambert didn't want him to go. ,, but because of the randy lerner financial cutbacks at the time   (trimming the wage bill )  a new contract  wasn't offered because he was due a good pay rise. Leicester a club with ambition came in , offered him 35 grand a week . nearly 3 times what he was on at Villa Park so marc and his agent took it and it meant he didn't even have to move house. 

3 hours ago, Patrick said:

I wouldn't have sold nathen baker who i think has done well at bristol. I was only thinking yesterday we could do with him on the bench when terry went off briefly.  But by and large terry hasn't missed many games and chester none , so baker would of been on the bench most of the season and he is too good for that ,   (don't know whats happened to samba)

Albrighton came to the end of his contract. He didn't want to leave and Lambert didn't want him to go. ,, but because of the randy lerner financial cutbacks at the time   (trimming the wage bill )  a new contract  wasn't offered because he was due a good pay rise. Leicester a club with ambition came in , offered him 35 grand a week . nearly 3 times what he was on at Villa Park so marc and his agent took it and it meant he didn't even have to move house. 

I heard he even attended Villa's game at Burton and stood in the away end with fans, got a mixed response from the Leicester fans that did.

Gary gardener is another one , rubbish for us apart from that goal at St Andrews , He done well on loan at Forest and is doing well now at Barnsley on loan , he scored a good goal yesterday , Stewart  downing also scored yesterday for Middlesborough where Adoma Traore has been playing brilliant  , still fast as lightening but scores goals too now.  I used to think we got a good deal swapping him for Albert Adomah  but he has been crap the last 5 matches  so i am changing my mind.

^^^^ Gary Gardner did well at Coventry also,,got some good reviews in the local paper,----should we remain in the Championship next season,i imagine G.G. might well be permanently recalled as no doubt some of the current squad will be going,---

agree about Albert  his early season exertions when Kodjia was injured maybe telling now a days and personally i would "rest"  him,

i note Fonzie bagged a hat trick for Blackpool yesterday,