Welcome to Aston Villa Forum - avillafan.com

Welcome to Aston Villa Forum - avillafan.com, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Aston Villa Forum - avillafan.com by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Sign in to follow this  
avstu

Commonwealth Games

BrumBidMain1.ashx?h=720&la=en&mw=1280&w=

Aston Villa Chief Executive Keith Wyness has spoken of his delight after Birmingham was named as Great Britain’s candidate to host the 2022 Commonwealth Games.

Wyness has been a big fan of the Second City bid, which would see Rugby 7s played at Villa Park.

He said: “We have already offered our support as the Commonwealth Games giant flag sailed across the Holte End prior to our 4-2 win over Norwich. 

“We hosted the bid inspection team and told them personally of the Games experience some of our key management team have."

Source: Link

Thoughts on this? Can only be good for Birmingham surely?

It would be great for Brum, but I'll offer a negative for Villa......A big athletics stadium will have to be built and when that has happened in Manchester and London a football club has moved into it, I'd hate for the Villa to move or worse still Blues or Albion get a brand spanking new stadium and any advantage that may entail.

2 minutes ago, dorset lion said:

It would be great for Brum, but I'll offer a negative for Villa......A big athletics stadium will have to be built and when that has happened in Manchester and London a football club has moved into it, I'd hate for the Villa to move or worse still Blues or Albion get a brand spanking new stadium and any advantage that may entail.

They have said they picked Birmingham because a athletics stadium doesn't need to be built - they would just do upgrades to the Alex.

1 minute ago, avstu said:

They have said they picked Birmingham because a athletics stadium doesn't need to be built - they would just do upgrades to the Alex.

Well that killed of my attempt to get a debate going, a much improved Alex used purely for athletics would be great for Brum.

Just now, dorset lion said:

Well that killed of my attempt to get a debate going, a much improved Alex used purely for athletics would be great for Brum.

Haha! I think they praised us because of the Alex, Villa Park and Edgebaston.

no mention of Small Heath haha.

they did mention a aqua centre would be built though

2 minutes ago, avstu said:

Haha! I think they praised us because of the Alex, Villa Park and Edgebaston.

no mention of Small Heath haha.

they did mention a aqua centre would be built though

Fill the sty with water and you've got an aqua centre.

Glasgow held the commonwealth games in 2014,was great for the city the opening ceremony was at celtic park,rugby ibrox & hampden athletics no new stadium built bar the emirates arena facing CP

btw I know they wont move villa to a brand new stadium like west ham,but will they upgrade VP maybe giving the north stand & other areas a wee make over? as They did with CP & the housing eastates?

Just now, Dimitri said:

Glasgow held the commonwealth games in 2014,was great for the city the opening ceremony was at celtic park,rugby ibrox & hampden athletics no new stadium built bar the emirates arena facing CP

btw I know they wont move villa to a brand new stadium like west ham,but will they upgrade VP maybe giving the north stand & other areas a wee make over? as They did with CP & the housing eastates?

It does mention that all venues are given funding to upgrade facilities.

2 minutes ago, avstu said:

It does mention that all venues are given funding to upgrade facilities.

ah good stuff

Are we putting two and two togetherto get five with the stadium upgrade funding or us there something in the Wyness interview that I read on here last week ?

23 minutes ago, B6! said:

Are we putting two and two togetherto get five with the stadium upgrade funding or us there something in the Wyness interview that I read on here last week ?

It did seem a bit presumptuous to come out with that 60 thousand crap the other day, but on the news last night it said because of getting. the Commonwealth games the Alexandra Stadium,  up the road from Villa Park will be upgraded from 20,000 to 50,000. 

Saying that we've only got the rugby and the Alex will have all the athletics plus the opening and closing ceremonies. 

2 hours ago, B6! said:

The thought had occurred to me that there may be a connection between news of increased capacity and VP been used for the Commonwealth games, if they give funding for upgrades it makes sense that the club would finally replace the North Stand, though I thought the plans for that only upped capacity to 53,000. Be interesting to see how they plan to get it to 60,000.

6 hours ago, dorset lion said:

The thought had occurred to me that there may be a connection between news of increased capacity and VP been used for the Commonwealth games, if they give funding for upgrades it makes sense that the club would finally replace the North Stand, though I thought the plans for that only upped capacity to 53,000. Be interesting to see how they plan to get it to 60,000.

He did mention that there would be some work done to the Holte End aswell.

1 hour ago, avstu said:

He did mention that there would be some work done to the Holte End aswell.

I'd guess filling in the corner between the Holte and Doug Ellis if its to increase capacity.

10 hours ago, dorset lion said:

I'd guess filling in the corner between the Holte and Doug Ellis if its to increase capacity.

The concourses in the Doug Ellis upper needs looking at. Very small with one bar in there. Gets silly at half time - hate to imagine what's it's like when we sell out