Welcome to Aston Villa Forum - avillafan.com

Welcome to Aston Villa Forum - avillafan.com, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Aston Villa Forum - avillafan.com by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

irish_villain

MON On Summer Transfers

Martin O'Neill has revealed his transfer window delight, insisting: "I have a talented group of players."

MON also admitted strengthening defensively was an obvious priority during the summer.

He told AVTV Online: "We didn't renew Thomas Sorensen's contract, Scott Carson returned to Liverpool and I felt we needed a goalkeeper of great experience.

"We got that in Brad Friedel but not only is he experienced, he is also a top class player.

"We have also taken on young Brad Guzan, who I think will develop into a quality 'keeper.

"We played all of last season with no recognised right-back so it was obviously an area we had to look at.

"On the left, we had no cover for Freddy and then Freddy picked up a serious injury against Odense so that forced us to bolster there.

"For all of Martin Laursen's fantastic performances and his superb attitude, he might not play every game so we needed players to fill in there too.

"Saying that, let me make it clear, it's not just about players filling in. It's about players coming in, taking their opportunity and staying in the side. It's about building a squad.

"We now have a number of central midfielders too but that's not a problem because everyone in the squad will be used.

"It was quiet on deadline night. In an ideal world, it would have been great to sign another forward with the amount of games we have to play, but it's easier said than done.

"But have an up-and-coming striker in Nathan Delfouneso who will play some games for us and we've got Gabby, John and Marlon.

" I feel I now have a talented group of players."

Sorry Martin but another striker was very much needed more so than spending so much time getting Guzan, i imagine thats where he will look to strengthen in Jan

bestmember.gif

EuropaLeague.png

Whilst i agree a forward should have been high on MON's list for this window, having not acquired one is not the end of the world, Ashley Young & James Milner could both fill in up there in a crisis & although not ideal, it is good that we do have players who are versatile enough to fill in

avfc.jpg

bare with me as i write this on my mobile in a hotel. I think mon did great in the summer, yes im sure we all would of liked that extra player but like martin said, its not that easy. Once players settle down im v confident of our quality, and ability this year. This 2 week break wil do wonders for some of these new player7.

Mellberg_Signature.png

"Winning isn't everything, but it beats anything that comes in second." - Paul Bryant

The summer signings have been great, however they do not make up for the clubs lack of spending over recent years.

A new striker is needed - we all agree on that. But who ?

All the top strikers are demanding stupid salaries. Michael Owen £120k per week !!!

I do not think that we should be going down this route - we should continue to look at younger players and hope that MON can use his magic touch and develop them. Look at Ashley Young £9million he cost now worth at least double that.

image.png

Championeeeeee Championeeeee Olee Oleee Oleeeee

You need people like me so people like you can point your fcuking fingers and say there's the bad guy

thats the problem b64ever... all the quality players want the big money, james milner left the barcodes cos he felt he wasnt getting paid enough so even the most unlikely players will demand higher pay packets although in milners case he has been pushing for a move to villa since his loan spell...

but it wasnt as if MON didnt try his best to improve things upfront, even deadline day we had bids in for people :

dean ashton - reports ive read suggest MON was pushing to bring him in but every time we improved our offer they pushed the price up.

kevin doyle - not a player i would have picked but simular to ashton was priced out by reading.

emile heskey - dunno what happened and tbh dont care, he ent here and most of us are happy with that.

Michael owen - apparently we was one of a couple of clubs who was in the running for him, might have even got him but that (amungst other players heading for the door) was what lead to Keegan and wise having a bust up and any deal was dead

i think a front man will be top of his shopping list in jan, lets just hope carew and gabby stay injury free till then at least.

PREDICTIONLEAGUE.gif

XBOX Gamertag : VillAlMiGhtY