Welcome to Aston Villa Forum - avillafan.com

Welcome to Aston Villa Forum - avillafan.com, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Aston Villa Forum - avillafan.com by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

avstu

Is avillafan still your no.1?

The forum seems to be very slow and has been for a while now with less than 10 people regularly posting. 

Is avillafan still your number one place for Villa talk? If not, why not? Are you going somewhere else that is giving you something that we are not?

I know social media will play a part in some of this but surely there is room for both?

Or has I think come to the time where we think about closing the forum come the end of the season?

Mellberg_Signature.png

"Winning isn't everything, but it beats anything that comes in second." - Paul Bryant

01/03/2017 : Per website.informer.com, AVillaFan's registration expires this October.

Daily visitors: 534
Daily pageviews: 1,068
Alexa Rank: 780084
Created: 2006-10-05
Expires: 2017-10-05

Maybe folks feel so ground down by the dismal fare served up by Aston Villa since MON left, culminating with the loss of EPL status, that their enthusiasm for all things AVFC has been reduced to apathy. It would be a shame to lose this Site though, so I hope the registration is renewed.

AVFC RFC SAFC

I agree with Larry, things would pick up if we were challenging for automatic promotion. the forums lost a few good posters this season but id say that has more to do with some of the moderating team than anything else. 

31 minutes ago, lifelongvilla said:

I agree with Larry, things would pick up if we were challenging for automatic promotion. the forums lost a few good posters this season but id say that has more to do with some of the moderating team than anything else. 

Disagree with the first part of your post , the  forum was busy during all those years we were fighting relegation.  As for the 2nd part of your post I think your spot on. 

fliegetn0.gif

Couple of you have mentioned the moderators - who have been as quiet as the rest of our members for some time now so that can't be one of the main reasons. 

Form will have a point to play but we used to be as busy during the bad times as we were the good times.

The website isn't cheap to run on a monthly rate and with donations virtually non existent any more I have to question if the website has run its cause. 

As for moving forward... what do people suggest to get things going again?

Mellberg_Signature.png

"Winning isn't everything, but it beats anything that comes in second." - Paul Bryant

3 hours ago, avstu said:

As for moving forward... what do people suggest to get things going again?

I don't know what you can do Stu,  You can't really make  people post,  it has to come from within. Maybe the results of Scottish leagues 1 and 2 being posted would help. I would certainly miss the forum if it went. Although I am finding myself reading and posting more and more Villa related stuff on twitter nowadays. 

fliegetn0.gif

The forum is still my number one place for Villa chat-------it would be a crying shame if it was to close---but i can sympathise with the running costs and whether it would be cost effective to renew the licence--

so really its upto us the members to ---(1)  get our fingers busy and use the forum a lot more--strewth there are a fair few thousand members!!

(2)   get some donations in to help fund the costs,---i,ll be back for the Wednesday game so will make one next week.

Members its upto you----lets do our bit to help keep the forum running!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2uhvolf.jpg

passionate_freddy.png

I don't go on any other Villa forum or twitter, be a shame to lose it, some of you I've come to know personally but I think of you all as friends.

Why has it gone quiet ? losing the Addies maybe didn't help, relegation has stopped many fans based abroad watching games and the club been so poor for so long can't help.

What attracted me to this forum initially was the layout which I still think is great, and the matey banter as it was obvious quite a few of you knew each other but it wasn't to the exclusion of others which is why I and quite a few others started coming along to the Addies.

Another thing that I liked was those stupid threads that have nothing to do with football, the ones that descend into the sort of drunken nonsense you'd talk about in the Pub with mates....unfortunately they are now locked away in the private forum which you can't access without posting a 1000 times and until you do that you don't know it exists. Those threads used to be open to anyone and often proved very popular.

My suggestions.....find another Pub as AVillafan HQ, PM former regular posters who now only pop in occasionally and let them know the forum may close and if you can't open the private forum for anyone to view if possible make it so that its existence can seen on the home page though not accessed and maybe reduce the number of posts required to access it.

14 minutes ago, dorset lion said:

I don't go on any other Villa forum or twitter, be a shame to lose it, some of you I've come to know personally but I think of you all as friends.

Why has it gone quiet ? losing the Addies maybe didn't help, relegation has stopped many fans based abroad watching games and the club been so poor for so long can't help.

What attracted me to this forum initially was the layout which I still think is great, and the matey banter as it was obvious quite a few of you knew each other but it wasn't to the exclusion of others which is why I and quite a few others started coming along to the Addies.

Another thing that I liked was those stupid threads that have nothing to do with football, the ones that descend into the sort of drunken nonsense you'd talk about in the Pub with mates....unfortunately they are now locked away in the private forum which you can't access without posting a 1000 times and until you do that you don't know it exists. Those threads used to be open to anyone and often proved very popular.

My suggestions.....find another Pub as AVillafan HQ, PM former regular posters who now only pop in occasionally and let them know the forum may close and if you can't open the private forum for anyone to view if possible make it so that its existence can seen on the home page though not accessed and maybe reduce the number of posts required to access it.

Yes,  and reinstate Rawley 

fliegetn0.gif

A lot of the topics in the Private Forum should not be classed as private at all, e.g., the political ones, like 'Trump v Clinton', life (or death!) choices like 'Cremated or Buried', social opinions, like 'Bringing back the belt in schools', etc, etc. Even 'Teachers Banging their Students' has no need to be hidden away, it is a subject covered widely in Social Media and in the MSM too.

Maybe there should be an option for a thread (topic) creator to opt into the Private Forum when posting the thread OP, with the default option for all threads being open view. As for the topics currently in the Private Forum, could the open and non-sensitive ones be moved out ? ... I could do this, but it will have to be Stu's decision as Site Owner.

AVFC RFC SAFC