Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Morpheus

January Transfer Window 2017

412 posts in this topic

Think it's pretty clear what we need in January (decent midfielders) but with the African Nations Cup taking place we are going to be stripped of at least three of our forwards for a month depending on how well their nations do. With that in mind and a glaring weakness at RB again due to injury who would you want to come in?

I also hope we're going to utilize the loan market better than under Di Matteo for a RB maybe until Laet returns next season?

Midfield is the obvious weakness. It is hard to judge until we see what team Bruce settles on.

Can see Bruce strengthening at CB, RB and CM imo.

Elphick looks good as a motivational guy at the start of the game but imo has been poor

We are stupidly weak in the middle of the park. Jedinak imo will come good and Tshibola is a prospect, but imo we need some more steel and want a Diame type CM. Bruce loves a strong physical CM so can see him getting players like that in and disposing of players like Westwood who wont offer much

I can maybe see a loan signing upfront like Rhodes or potentially a winger.

Still a long way to go though and im sure Bruce will give all the lads a chance to prove themselves before January

You don't think Suliman is considered up to providing cover at CB in need? I think we might see a bit of Baker there after his comments post Reading match, think he can see that talent that comes through the ranks wants to win for the jersey more than players that are paid for from elsewhere. RHM with McCormack up front during African Cup and I wonder if he'll think about using Gabby as cover for a couple of matches? We definitely need reinforcements in midfield.  

Any midfield suggestions? Maybe Joey Barton on a short term deal?

2 hours ago, avstu said:

That could be an all round beneficial move for Rangers, Aston Villa and Joey Barton. This is not because of JB's bust-up at Rangers, but because he slows Rangers' play down. In short, he does not fit the system where it matters, on the pitch. However, at AVFC Joey Barton's style of play would provide a pivot from which to launch attacks, so I would back a January move for JB from Rangers to AVFC.

I wouldn't touch him with a barge pole, any positives he brings on the pitch ( and its debatable as to whether there are any ) are far outweighed by his disruptive influence in the dressing room....how many clubs couldn't get him out the door quick enough ???

4 hours ago, dorset lion said:

I wouldn't touch him with a barge pole, any positives he brings on the pitch ( and its debatable as to whether there are any ) are far outweighed by his disruptive influence in the dressing room....how many clubs couldn't get him out the door quick enough ???

He burnt his bridges  at Rangers by saying  to warburton  " My son is older than this club"

I would take Barton all day long, wanted him for a few years now. We are too nice of a team. 

I would take a look at Ben Watson who isnt getting much game time at Watford. Conor Hourihane is doing well for Barnsley. Henri Lansbury? 

Really could do with someone who can get hold of the ball and drive forward with it. Gardner did it once or twice the weekend but I am still not 100% convinced that he is good enough.

Just been reading in the articles section about McCormack who apparently spent a season in midfield a while back.......5 goals and 12 assists......been a long time since we had a midfielder who got close to that sort of return, could he be the answer ? 

2 hours ago, dorset lion said:

Just been reading in the articles section about McCormack who apparently spent a season in midfield a while back.......5 goals and 12 assists......been a long time since we had a midfielder who got close to that sort of return, could he be the answer ? 

Duno about anybody else but i just dont see McCormack fitting in unless it is a 4-4-2 alongside Gestede. Him and Kodjia both drop deep and cant work together. 

Exepensive sub imo

1 hour ago, ak47deol said:

Duno about anybody else but i just dont see McCormack fitting in unless it is a 4-4-2 alongside Gestede. Him and Kodjia both drop deep and cant work together. 

Exepensive sub imo

I wouldn't write him off yet AK, its nice to have options and one way or another somebody has to be left out, in McCormack, Gestede, Ayew and Kodjia we have 4 players whose best position would likely be as part of a front 2, and we have to fit in Grealish and Adomah somewhere also. By my reckoning unless Grealish is cast aside that leaves us with at least 2 expensive subs......as problems go its not a bad one.

On 01/11/2016 at 6:53 AM, avstu said:

No thanks. 

11 minutes ago, AnneMc said:

No thanks. 

Read somewhere today that we have been linked with a loan move for Ruben Loftus-Cheek.

1 minute ago, avstu said:

Read somewhere today that we have been linked with a loan move for Ruben Loftus-Cheek.

That would be much better than going in for a disruptive, jumped up tool like Barton. 

1 hour ago, avstu said:

Yup good player. Scored against us in the 0-4 drubbing against Chelsea. I'd add Lansbury to that who is coming to the end of his contract. Those two would improve us plus Rhodes on loan to cover for the ANs.

7 hours ago, Morpheus said:

Yup good player. Scored against us in the 0-4 drubbing against Chelsea. I'd add Lansbury to that who is coming to the end of his contract. Those two would improve us plus Rhodes on loan to cover for the ANs.

Lansbury is very hit and miss and has been for years otherwise people would of snapped him up by now. On top of that he is incredibly injury prone. 

Wouldn't mind Will Hughes from Derby, young and enjoys going forward.  Think he'd blossom under Bruce...

A wee bit early posting this maybe, but no doubt SB will want his own players in,..how much transfer kitty will he be allowed to spend,what kind of players do you reckon Bruce will want to sign,& have you got any players in mind that would strengthen the squad???

After the last few results & a manager who knows this league well, there seems to be a belief now that Villa could snatch a P/O place

Far too early mate,  no one in their right mind would start a January transfer window thread as early as November. Anyway to state the obvious we need to sign 2 midfielders , I feel we have been lucky in the 4 games under Bruce and not convinced we will make the play offs , but you never know. Hopefully things will improve between now and May and we can get there. 

Lansbury is talented and is better then what we have, he can pass, tackle and score goals.

Hughes imo is way over rated and would cost quite a bit, Hendrick was the CM we should have got from Derby if we were after someone from there, shame we missed that one

5 hours ago, Dimitri said:

A wee bit early posting this maybe, but no doubt SB will want his own players in,..how much transfer kitty will he be allowed to spend,what kind of players do you reckon Bruce will want to sign,& have you got any players in mind that would strengthen the squad???

After the last few results & a manager who knows this league well, there seems to be a belief now that Villa could snatch a P/O place

I think a RB is a must plus a creative midfield player. I would also like to see another DM. Jedi is coming good but I'm not sure if he will last the pressure of a full championship season. I'm not really bothered about the P/O positions. This season is to get a manager who knows what he is doing and to get the basics of a strong AV foundation. I think we are on track for both. 

Same as we've needed for ages, right back, creative midfielder and a proper winger at a bare minimum

Totally forgot about the African cup of nations as well, we'll need a contingency plan in place for that

14 hours ago, ak47deol said:

Lansbury is talented and is better then what we have, he can pass, tackle and score goals.

Hughes imo is way over rated and would cost quite a bit, Hendrick was the CM we should have got from Derby if we were after someone from there, shame we missed that one

In total agreement with all of that.

The money spent on McCormack would have been better spent Hendrick.