Welcome to Aston Villa Forum - avillafan.com

Welcome to Aston Villa Forum - avillafan.com, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Aston Villa Forum - avillafan.com by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hOltENdR

Carew sets sights on top four

do you agree with carew?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. where do u think we will finish in the league this year

• Top 4 - Champions League
    • 5th-6th - Uefa Cup
    • 7th-12th - Mid Table
    • 13th-20th - struggle

Aston Villa striker John Carew has revealed that he and his team-mates have a 'definite belief' they can break into the top four of the Premier League.

Liverpool, who finished in the final UEFA Champions League qualifying spot last season, were held to a goalless draw at Villa Park on Sunday and Carew believes the result represents progression.

Carew feels Villa have improved drastically under manager Martin O'Neill and the Norwegian thinks that was reflected by the respect offered from a cautious Liverpool side at the weekend.

Villa secured a sixth-placed spot last term and Carew is expecting an improved performance in 2008/09.

"The fact we are disappointed at not beating Liverpool shows the club is going forward," Carew said.

Ambition

"It almost looked like they came for a draw. They had a lot of guys behind the ball. The fact they played like that showed they are wary of our attack.

"It was difficult to create chances but their approach probably affected a bit of their offensive play as well because they didn't really create anything either.

"There is a definite belief among the younger lads that they can break into the top four.

"We were not 100 per cent satisfied with a draw against Liverpool and that means the club is moving in the right direction - and that is definitely to be amongst the top four.

"Looking at Liverpool on Sunday, we have nothing to be scared of.

"We shouldn't be scared of having that top four aim as an ambition. The squad looks really good and bigger and stronger than before."

PREDICTIONLEAGUE.gif

XBOX Gamertag : VillAlMiGhtY

would be nice but i think it will be another year in the uefa cup next year.

PREDICTIONLEAGUE.gif

I think we will have some hard competition from the likes of man city and tottenham to see who can break the top 4. I think for this reason we will finish 5th or 6th, but I think a team (could be us) will get in the top 4, hopefully in liverpools place.

As much as i would love to see us 3 or 4th i can only see 5th or 6th now .....i hope i'm wrong but with man cities takeover they will be strong Tottenham buoyed by a point at Chelsea and the signings they have made may also be up there so i see the top seven as Arsenal, A Villa, Chelsea, Liverpool, Man City, Man Utd and Spurs i see everton falling away this will be my top 7 in some shape or form

i know i said 5th or 6th myself but, this is probly our best chance to break into that top 4 tbh.. spurs have lost there 2 main strikers from last year while man city (hopefully) will need a bit of time to get going, liverpool might struggle while torres is out and keane isnt scoring, i agree that everton wont be anywhere near the top 4 this year and the likes of blackburn, newcastle and west ham seem to have failed to improve there squads from last season.

just my thoughts, i know its all relative and could end up completely different but who knows...?

PREDICTIONLEAGUE.gif

forgot too put my reason behind my thinking and it is that fact we failed to sign a decent striker to give the other two much need competition that i feel is our downfall ...ok i know we scored shed load last year but that was last year we need a 20 a season man and i cant see either of them getting there

i think if we get an injury to either of our strikers we will be in trouble, but also think that given a chance someone like delfouneso could come in and bang a few in, not alot of teams know what he's about alot like not alot of us know... i remember when gabby first come on the scene, nobody could handle him, simular to young and even luke moore when he first made the step up

PREDICTIONLEAGUE.gif

I can't see us getting a top 4 finish this season. If we get injuries, we are going to struggle. Another striker would have been nice, but unfortunately it was not to be.

I'm just happy the club is stable, they have the dream manager-chairman combo, and they're in every game. Everything else is a bonus.

It's also nice that there are clubs like Villa pushing the big 4...