FORUM IS CURRENTLY BEING UPGRADED, PLEASE BEAR WITH US. ×

The general discussion thread

no raymond i'm not insulted and i to enjoy the debate. but for you to say the english are arrogant because we think everybody is obcessed with our culture when your a villa fan is priceless. We have our fair share of ignorant bigot's in this country but i don't base my opinion of yanks on what i see on tv. I like american's but from my own experiance's in new york most of you don't have a clue about the outside world. The only person i met in NY who knew about birmingham was a cabbie who had family in manchester and tried to tell me he'd being to both and birmingham was small in comparison, when i told him that was not the case he argued the point with me. This was in 1989, i had somebody think i was australian because i called him mate and thats what crocodile dundee says, somebody else thought birmingham was in london, i was told to speak english by somebody else, how arrogant is that? admittedly i do sound like ossie osbourne(villa fan) but everybody else understood me ok.

But i will give another example to make my point and i don't think you can argue this one, why do you take so many of our tv shows and then make a us version. if the uk version is shown its not primetime. example's of this in recent years are the office and shamless but i know there have being many others over the years, i know you had a tv character called archie bunker in the seventies who was your version of our alf garnett. I've read on several occassion's that american audience's won't understand the referances in our shows so you remake them. But we understand your referance's because we watch your show's and learn, it seem's american's are to lazy to do the same.

most english people don't take thereselves to seriously and have a great sense of self depreciation. to be around a group of brits taking the p*ss out of each other is a wonderful thing and the better the insult at our expense the more we laugh. you know when a brit likes you because he will insult you while smiling.

I did say most American's are clueless. It was a few posts back so I will not rehash it.

Your last part actually proves my point well. Our culture is actually influential. That is why you understand our references. Your culture is not. That is why we don't. The bigger point is, even though our culture is actually influential, we understand that we are arrogant. Even though yours is not, you cant understand it.

I am a villa fan because I love sport, love football [i plan on calling it that from now on because I saw it pissed off Skyba on another thread], and there are no American teams to support. It is that simple. I am in the minority. Most people in my country do not even know what the premier league is, much less who Aston Villa is.

Now, that is slowly changing, but slowly is the key word.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good question. Not sure there's anything overly exciting I really want to do that I haven't done already, apart from marry you at the Addies and live happily ever after under the Holte, obviously...

I forgot to mention! After reading this post this afternoon I was in the garden and heard chickens in my neigbours garden. I pooped my head over the fence to see 6 chickens happily clucking around th

Is there anything those barbaric Kanajun colonist,webbed fingered,inbreds wont do to wash the seal blood off their hands?Still I suppose,once you bash the poor little seal buggers skulls in,what's lef

Post of the year :roll:

I would be if he wasn't completely wrong in his assessment of what I said. I'll just put it down to american arrogance and inability to read a situation

(bit like selling weapons and charging a lot of money in world war 2 and seeing it as being a great help even more so than getting off their arse and fighting)

controversial.png

When I was just a little boy i asked my mother what shall i beee.

Shall i be villa shall i be blues, Here's what she said to me......

YOU KNOW THE REST

Lol yeah that's another thing you cannot deny that the vast majority of yanks think that england is just another name for London lol.

And no this isn't from tv because believe it or not english people get things called passports and leave our country to learn about others whereas I think in america isn't it something like 80% of americans don't have a passport and have never left the country

Again the condescending arrogance cannot be hidden. We do not need passports because we can travel most of our life without leaving our country. You can drive from Birmingham to Paris before I can get out of Texas. Just Texas.

That being said, I do have a passport.

This is in reference to the last bit. I thought you were a school teacher how can a school teacher have such an immature argument.

My statement about us being patriotic was no child fit it was actually pointing out that if you come to an english forum and slate england your argument will not be won or get put across for that sheer point nothing to do with wanting you to leave I actually really enjoy these debates surely if anyone has learnt anything from my posts I obviously like a debate

Because I deal with children every day. I see that mentality every day. How can a teacher have that immature an argument? How can you?

I did say most American's are clueless. It was a few posts back so I will not rehash it.

Your last part actually proves my point well. Our culture is actually influential. That is why you understand our references. Your culture is not. That is why we don't. The bigger point is, even though our culture is actually influential, we understand that we are arrogant. Even though yours is not, you cant understand it.

I am a villa fan because I love sport, love football [i plan on calling it that from now on because I saw it pissed off Skyba on another thread], and there are no American teams to support. It is that simple. I am in the minority. Most people in my country do not even know what the premier league is, much less who Aston Villa is.

Now, that is slowly changing, but slowly is the key word.

There it is you are a true american.

You just stated that your culture is sooo influential BULL it's plain and simple we have taken the time to embrace your culture and learn about it and a big part of your american culture is being lazy and unwilling to embrace anyone else's which dorset point proves and then you remarks go even further to prove.

Americans are mainly lazy people and thrive on convenience do you think your country would had such a high rate of obesity if the were not true. We're getting bad but in the uk the government are taking large steps to remedy it whereas in the us they'd have burger king in schools if they could

controversial.png

YOU KNOW THE REST

Because I deal with children every day. I see that mentality every day. How can a teacher have that immature an argument? How can you?

Haha that's the thing my argument wasn't immature I was merely pointing out that this argument will not be like arguing with me on my view about lerner as this is a site full of english people and I will be in the majority. For once

controversial.png

YOU KNOW THE REST

There it is you are a true american.

You just stated that your culture is sooo influential BULL it's plain and simple we have taken the time to embrace your culture and learn about it and a big part of your american culture is being lazy and unwilling to embrace anyone else's which dorset point proves and then you remarks go even further to prove.

Americans are mainly lazy people and thrive on convenience do you think your country would had such a high rate of obesity if the were not true. We're getting bad but in the uk the government are taking large steps to remedy it whereas in the us they'd have burger king in schools if they could

Again. Ignorance and arrogance. The US government, notably Michelle Obama, is taking the same type of steps.

This is turning into a chicken and egg argument. I say you embrace our culture because it is culturally significant. You way you accept ours because you are open-minded and not lazy.

To see who's culture is more influential, perhaps we should look at box offices receipts. Just in the UK if you would like. Wonder what that would look like?

I would like to make a point. I hate the US culture. It is painful to me that Lady Gaga and Jersey Shore is what we are shipping around the world. I would rather people think we are all fat, ignorant, racists than have anyone think I have anything in common with a human being that would allow herself to be called Snooki.

Again. The last part shows an incredible ignorance about the United States. Almost every place in the US decidely does not care about race. When race in the US is talked about in the UK, however, you always get to see the 5% of the country that does. If that is how we judge a country, I guess I am to assume all Brits are pricks because Piers Morgan and Simon Cowell are. As for the English having any opinion on racism in the US is certainly, forgive the pun, the pot calling the kettle black. I have see more racial issues in the UK concerning sport, which is obviously what I focus on mostly, in the last 5 years that I have seen in the US for my entire lifetime. PS. Do not act like Europe's hands are clean of slavery.

Most of the US don't care about race? KKK ? you had segregation until the 60s. there is no figure in our history like martin luther king no rosa parkes. come on raymond you can't just say it does'nt exist. and i did'nt mention slavery, i'm talking about now. And what racism in english sport? your making sweeping accusation's but giving no examples.

Stereo-types exist because there is a certain truth behind it, so if you were to say a drunken loud mouthed yob was an english stereo-type, yes they exist in the same way a stereo-typical yank would be fat bigoted religious and stupid, and i know they exist.

as for piers morgan and simon cowell we sent them over 'cause we hate them as well so we've found something to agree on. :thumbsup: