FORUM IS CURRENTLY BEING UPGRADED, PLEASE BEAR WITH US. ×

The general discussion thread

Oooo I love a good argument about America....count me in :thumbsup:

Hmmm whats the best way to start this......ummmm...hmmmm....ooo I know!

Your dependent on Canada!

:excited:

I do love Canada. Fun Canada fact. Over 90% of Canadians live within 100 miles of the lower 48. Wonder why that is?

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good question. Not sure there's anything overly exciting I really want to do that I haven't done already, apart from marry you at the Addies and live happily ever after under the Holte, obviously...

I forgot to mention! After reading this post this afternoon I was in the garden and heard chickens in my neigbours garden. I pooped my head over the fence to see 6 chickens happily clucking around th

Is there anything those barbaric Kanajun colonist,webbed fingered,inbreds wont do to wash the seal blood off their hands?Still I suppose,once you bash the poor little seal buggers skulls in,what's lef

I was really just trying to get a rise out of Skyba, but if you want to have a real conversation about this, we can.

This is a ridiculous statement for one very simply reason. Most Americans do not know we fought in something called World War II, and if they do, they have no idea who we fought against. The sad reality is most Americans have no opinion on World War II because they are blissfully ignorant of its existence.

The second part of that statement I take interest in is the popular consensus part. It is simple to come out and say "most people think" something, but it is much more difficult to explain who those most people are. The facts are that even before Americans official involvement in the war, the US was aiding the allies very heavily. Without the continued, albeit modest sometimes during the early part of the war, supplies and machinery being shipped from the states to Russia and Great Britain, the allies situation when the home front finally allowed FDR to enter the war officially would have been considerably worse than it ended up being. There could even be an argument made, though I have a hard time believing it, that if the US did not actively engage in supporting the allies side in 40, 41, and 42, the morale could have slipped low enough for the UK to sue for peace. I think that is a bit far fetched, but I know that the support given by America to the allies before our official involvement cannot be underestimated.

All that being said, if you have a scholarly work that disagrees, I would love to read it. I am always interested in other opinions.

I was going to let this go, but decided not to. I understand that most Americans are ignorant of history, but I am currently working on becoming a professor of history with a specialty in world history. I understand the events of World War II. Please do

I think this is where the disconnect between the world and the US happens. I am finding out through this forum that you all feel we believe the movies that Hollywood puts out as fact. That could not be farther from the truth.

In fact, the idea that you guys judge who you believe the average American to be based on the reality TV shows you see and the four or five specials Top Gear have done in the states tells a lot more about your culture than ours. Just because your country cannot separate entertainment from reality does not mean mine can't. That type of projection is dangerous.

The reality is that we have a sick obsession in my country with the lowest class of our citizens, and, consequently, put them on TV. If you think you know who Americans are because you have seen all the episodes of Jersey Shore and The Real World, you are as ignorant as the people who take Saving Private Ryan as historical fact, if those people even exist.

To another point.

I do speak about the arrogance of the English, and the fact that you disagree with me about it illustrates the arrogance even more. Americans are arrogant, but the difference between our two countries is that we can admit it. From my experience, which admittedly is not the largest sample size, the English are convinced that other countries in the world consider their country, policies, and sports teams way more than they actually do. That is fine. I think most countries, and people for that matter, are that way. But to not admit it is the case, to assume you somehow are above the self-absorption that every other culture falls into, is the height of arrogance.

Note. I like this conversation. I am not getting my feelings hurt. I think conversations about each other cultures are healthy and allow us to grow. I hope you all are taking it the same way.

You missed out 1 major fact about the supply of arms in ww2 and that was that you wasn't helping you saw it as a massive business opportunity and allowed us and the allies to rack up huge debt because all our men were out fighting the war while your men sat in the factories and going home to their families at night. So no I give america no credit for making a large amount of money out of the war from us which took us many many years to attempt to pay back.

As for your statement that you helped out before that's obviously just a thought that maybe some americans must think to help ease the guilt of knowing their country stood by and watched as hitler killed 6 million jews and didn't even do anything other than try and make money from it.

It is a well known FACT the churchill went over to america personally and asked roosevelt to help out and he refused on numerous occasions.

Now to state that you can admit your arrogance and then state that the only reason you can see that we'd feel this way is because of popular culture is a joke and a contradiction in itself. I used to live in the middle east and although I met many american people I liked a lot but I also met far more I didn't and the reason being for this is that the majority I met are self important and believe america to be the greatest country on earth and nobody else could function without your input and you have done nothing to help that this is the way that I perceive americans.

As for sports well yours is THE ONLY country to have a world series in which your country is the only one to compete in the name just ooozes with arrogance in itself.

We in England believe that our football is watched from all over the world because it is a FACT that the premier league is the most watched football league in the world. And my statement of the England job being the biggest job in football is because it is when you take into account the expectations of a nation and how much pressure there is for success. I think you made some ridiculous statement of you have to have won something which was probably to get a rise out of me but to say that is ridiculous a job surely gets easier and less difficult the more success has been had in recent years as the platform for success is already there and the expectations are somewhat eased especially in international football as a country is not expected to be successful time and time again like a club. Although I don't really expect you to understand international level football I mean I wouldn't care for it much if all I had to support was a few mediocre prem players supported by a few others that would struggle to get a start for barnet.

Also you forget although this is a footballing site it is for an ENGLISH team to slate England is not a good idea if us english are anything it's patriotic

controversial.png

When I was just a little boy i asked my mother what shall i beee.

Shall i be villa shall i be blues, Here's what she said to me......

YOU KNOW THE REST

I do love Canada. Fun Canada fact. Over 90% of Canadians live within 100 miles of the lower 48. Wonder why that is?

Because the rest of it is pretty much uninhabitable. Permafrost ground means cant grow crops and the overall climate gets to nasty. Further you go north the darker the winter months and the colder etc. More about Climate than anything really but it helps being close to the border. Otherwise the only reason we are so close is the shopping and liquor :thumbsup: . And with the weak American dollar and strong Canadian dollar heading across has gotten even better in recent years. Wasnt long ago $1 Canadian was only $0.62 Canadian! Yuck!

Fun America Fact, your largest oil supplier is Canada :thumbsup: Its funny though of the 2.5 ish million barrels we produce every day we send more to you than we keep for ourselves and end up importing from the middle east! Silly oil companies!

tumblr_lpax8yxyfy1qip14mo1_500.gif

meetmember.png          member.png

Because the rest of it is pretty much uninhabitable. Permafrost ground means cant grow crops and the overall climate gets to nasty. Further you go north the darker the winter months and the colder etc. More about Climate than anything really but it helps being close to the border. Otherwise the only reason we are so close is the shopping and liquor :thumbsup: . And with the weak American dollar and strong Canadian dollar heading across has gotten even better in recent years. Wasnt long ago $1 Canadian was only $0.62 Canadian! Yuck!

Fun America Fact, your largest oil supplier is Canada :thumbsup: Its funny though of the 2.5 ish million barrels we produce every day we send more to you than we keep for ourselves and end up importing from the middle east! Silly oil companies!

It is not silly. It is comparative advantage. Good move by the Canadians.

It is not silly. It is comparative advantage. Good move by the Canadians.

Well its not really Canadians making the decision it the oil companies who have set up shop. With the new proposed oil line from Alberta to the southern US I am hoping we can start keeping more oil and keep our prices at a reasonable level for a change.... But I am not going to hold my breath thats for sure.

PS- Its silly from a consumer perspective when you pay about 5.50 a gallon right now and its been as high as 7. And yes to all your England people I know you pay more than that.

no raymond i'm not insulted and i to enjoy the debate. but for you to say the english are arrogant because we think everybody is obcessed with our culture when your a villa fan is priceless. We have our fair share of ignorant bigot's in this country but i don't base my opinion of yanks on what i see on tv. I like american's but from my own experiance's in new york most of you don't have a clue about the outside world. The only person i met in NY who knew about birmingham was a cabbie who had family in manchester and tried to tell me he'd being to both and birmingham was small in comparison, when i told him that was not the case he argued the point with me. This was in 1989, i had somebody think i was australian because i called him mate and thats what crocodile dundee says, somebody else thought birmingham was in london, i was told to speak english by somebody else, how arrogant is that? admittedly i do sound like ossie osbourne(villa fan) but everybody else understood me ok.

But i will give another example to make my point and i don't think you can argue this one, why do you take so many of our tv shows and then make a us version. if the uk version is shown its not primetime. example's of this in recent years are the office and shamless but i know there have being many others over the years, i know you had a tv character called archie bunker in the seventies who was your version of our alf garnett. I've read on several occassion's that american audience's won't understand the referances in our shows so you remake them. But we understand your referance's because we watch your show's and learn, it seem's american's are to lazy to do the same.

most english people don't take thereselves to seriously and have a great sense of self depreciation. to be around a group of brits taking the p*ss out of each other is a wonderful thing and the better the insult at our expense the more we laugh. you know when a brit likes you because he will insult you while smiling.

You missed out 1 major fact about the supply of arms in ww2 and that was that you wasn't helping you saw it as a massive business opportunity and allowed us and the allies to rack up huge debt because all our men were out fighting the war while your men sat in the factories and going home to their families at night. So no I give america no credit for making a large amount of money out of the war from us which took us many many years to attempt to pay back.

As for your statement that you helped out before that's obviously just a thought that maybe some americans must think to help ease the guilt of knowing their country stood by and watched as hitler killed 6 million jews and didn't even do anything other than try and make money from it.

It is a well known FACT the churchill went over to america personally and asked roosevelt to help out and he refused on numerous occasions.

Now to state that you can admit your arrogance and then state that the only reason you can see that we'd feel this way is because of popular culture is a joke and a contradiction in itself. I used to live in the middle east and although I met many american people I liked a lot but I also met far more I didn't and the reason being for this is that the majority I met are self important and believe america to be the greatest country on earth and nobody else could function without your input and you have done nothing to help that this is the way that I perceive americans.

As for sports well yours is THE ONLY country to have a world series in which your country is the only one to compete in the name just ooozes with arrogance in itself.

We in England believe that our football is watched from all over the world because it is a FACT that the premier league is the most watched football league in the world. And my statement of the England job being the biggest job in football is because it is when you take into account the expectations of a nation and how much pressure there is for success. I think you made some ridiculous statement of you have to have won something which was probably to get a rise out of me but to say that is ridiculous a job surely gets easier and less difficult the more success has been had in recent years as the platform for success is already there and the expectations are somewhat eased especially in international football as a country is not expected to be successful time and time again like a club. Although I don't really expect you to understand international level football I mean I wouldn't care for it much if all I had to support was a few mediocre prem players supported by a few others that would struggle to get a start for barnet.

Also you forget although this is a footballing site it is for an ENGLISH team to slate England is not a good idea if us english are anything it's patriotic

Why we "was" helping is not the point. The point is we were and that it was an important contribution. If it was up to FDR, we would have been in from the beginning, but it was not. Not saying it is right, but that is what happened.

As for the sitting by while 6 million Jews died, where was your country when the persecution of the Jews began in the early 1930's. For that matter, did your country step in after the Kristallnacht, when the persecution really started heating. If you count giving Hitler Czechoslovakia, I suppose they did.

I was so happy when I read this I could hardly contain myself. Now I get to unleash a Skyba special. [read in a 13-year-old's voice for full effect] This is a forum. It is for posting opinions. Can I not post my opinion? It is just my opinion. I guess I should leave. Would you all want me to leave. Wah. Wah. Wah.

Fun day.

Lol yeah that's another thing you cannot deny that the vast majority of yanks think that england is just another name for London lol.

And no this isn't from tv because believe it or not english people get things called passports and leave our country to learn about others whereas I think in america isn't it something like 80% of americans don't have a passport and have never left the country

controversial.png

YOU KNOW THE REST

I was so happy when I read this I could hardly contain myself. Now I get to unleash a Skyba special. [read in a 13-year-old's voice for full effect] This is a forum. It is for posting opinions. Can I not post my opinion? It is just my opinion. I guess I should leave. Would you all want me to leave. Wah. Wah. Wah.

Fun day.

Post of the year :roll:

• Upvote 1

Why we "was" helping is not the point. The point is we were and that it was an important contribution. If it was up to FDR, we would have been in from the beginning, but it was not. Not saying it is right, but that is what happened.

As for the sitting by while 6 million Jews died, where was your country when the persecution of the Jews began in the early 1930's. For that matter, did your country step in after the Kristallnacht, when the persecution really started heating. If you count giving Hitler Czechoslovakia, I suppose they did.

Fun day.

This is in reference to the last bit. I thought you were a school teacher how can a school teacher have such an immature argument.

My statement about us being patriotic was no child fit it was actually pointing out that if you come to an english forum and slate england your argument will not be won or get put across for that sheer point nothing to do with wanting you to leave I actually really enjoy these debates surely if anyone has learnt anything from my posts I obviously like a debate

controversial.png

YOU KNOW THE REST