drank while they carried us.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a tin, and didn't

get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, our baby cots were covered with bright colored

lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and

when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took

hitchhiking .

As kids, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.

Riding in the back of a van - loose - was always great fun.

We drank water from the garden hosepipe and NOT from a bottle. We shared

one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died

from this.

We ate cakes, white bread and real butter and drank pop with sugar in

it, but we weren't overweight because...... WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were

back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps of wood and then ride

down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes and kerbs few times, we learned to solve the problem .

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at

all, no 99 channels on cable, no cd movies, no surround sound, no mobile

phones, no text messaging, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat

rooms..........WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no

lawsuits from these accidents .

We played with worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

Made up games with sticks and tennis balls and case balles and although we were told it would happen, we did not poke out any eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or

rang the bell, or just yelled for them!

Local teams had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't

had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of.

They actually sided with the law!

We'd sneek into our favourite football teams ground without paying, we'd pick up bottles just to get the half penny return.

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem

solvers and inventors ever!

The past 60 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned HOW

TO DEAL WITH IT ALL!

Those were the days boys!!!!!

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good question. Not sure there's anything overly exciting I really want to do that I haven't done already, apart from marry you at the Addies and live happily ever after under the Holte, obviously...

I forgot to mention! After reading this post this afternoon I was in the garden and heard chickens in my neigbours garden. I pooped my head over the fence to see 6 chickens happily clucking around th

Is there anything those barbaric Kanajun colonist,webbed fingered,inbreds wont do to wash the seal blood off their hands?Still I suppose,once you bash the poor little seal buggers skulls in,what's lef

just luvving it forevva (ol lad) :lolthumb:

man thats absolutely bang on how very very squat diddley true,

i remember in school holidayz---going up "Beduth" park meeting mates taking me ol footy boots,and my cricket bat and ball, playing 12 a side footy all morning, aving fish cake chips and a bottle of vimto from the local chippy(now closed)for about 1 shiling and 6 pence :lolthumb: then in the afternoon when it got hotter the same gang would play cricket using an old oak tree as the wicket,man we werent daft were we :lolthumb:have a jubbly at the tea break, then go home for tea with the family at 5 o,clock -we would be out in the fresh air for at least 7 hours, then very often went back for more in the evening-------magic dayzzzzzzzz man

riding bikes unhelmeted,climbing trees (where are they now?)sliding down Beduth Banks belly first on corregated tins,!coming home with grazed knees,and sometimes sore heads when the lace on them ol footyballs werent laced up in the right way----but you knew you had to score

we wuz happy with a football,cricket bat &ball, fishcake n chips,a bottle o vimto, and in the afternoon a blinking -jubbly

Yup forevva "those were the days my friend those were the days we thought they,d never end-those were the dayzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :thumbsup:

2uhvolf.jpg

passionate_freddy.png

just luvving it forevva (ol lad) :lolthumb:

man thats absolutely bang on how very very squat diddley true,

i remember in school holidayz---going up "Beduth" park meeting mates taking me ol footy boots,and my cricket bat and ball, playing 12 a side footy all morning, aving fish cake chips and a bottle of vimto from the local chippy(now closed)for about 1 shiling and 6 pence :lolthumb: then in the afternoon when it got hotter the same gang would play cricket using an old oak tree as the wicket,man we werent daft were we :lolthumb:have a jubbly at the tea break, then go home for tea with the family at 5 o,clock -we would be out in the fresh air for at least 7 hours, then very often went back for more in the evening-------magic dayzzzzzzzz man

riding bikes unhelmeted,climbing trees (where are they now?)sliding down Beduth Banks belly first on corregated tins,!coming home with grazed knees,and sometimes sore heads when the lace on them ol footyballs werent laced up in the right way----but you knew you had to score

we wuz happy with a football,cricket bat &ball, fishcake n chips,a bottle o vimto, and in the afternoon a blinking -jubbly

Yup forevva "those were the days my friend those were the days we thought they,d never end-those were the dayzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :thumbsup:

:lol: Juberlees now there's a memory, mine wasn't vimto though it was Dandelion and Burdoch and the food choice was jellied eals and chips or cokels if i was lucky ukkk the taste of them jellied eals yuk.

My god what do we do without football?

I made cookies today! Thats how flipping board ive been! How you think I feel though Stu? Last match I got to watch live was the Blackburn match! Ive watched the replays of the others but its not the same!

tumblr_lpax8yxyfy1qip14mo1_500.gif

meetmember.png          member.png

• 5 weeks later...

My birthday was last weekend and 2 of my pressies have come. The 1982 dvd and the 1982 away shirt. Does this seem wierd for a 17 year old lad? LOL.

Not at all mate I was only 3 myself, still proud of it though and it's good to know about your clubs history :lolthumb:

• Upvote 1

Ohh, Bad combination being great weather and a bank holiday! Sat in my Garden this afternoon with a beer and thought what agreat day to sort the garden out!

Nothining too drastic, just a bit of jet washing the patio and strimming the edges of the grass!!

6 beers later I was still sitting in the garden and thibking of it!

“Each smallest act of kindness, reverberates across great distances and spans of time --affecting lives unknown to the one who’s generous spirit, was the source of this good echo. Because kindness is passed on and grows each time it’s passed until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage, years later, and far away. Likewise, each small meanness, each expression of hatred, each act of evil.”

Ohh, Bad combination being great weather and a bank holiday! Sat in my Garden this afternoon with a beer and thought what agreat day to sort the garden out!

Nothining too drastic, just a bit of jet washing the patio and strimming the edges of the grass!!

:lol: Story of my life !

Luvving it man----sounds real familar, :lolthumb: reckon a few of us can relate to them thoughts loyal, :D

2uhvolf.jpg

passionate_freddy.png