FORUM IS CURRENTLY BEING UPGRADED, PLEASE BEAR WITH US. ×

The general discussion thread

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good question. Not sure there's anything overly exciting I really want to do that I haven't done already, apart from marry you at the Addies and live happily ever after under the Holte, obviously...

I forgot to mention! After reading this post this afternoon I was in the garden and heard chickens in my neigbours garden. I pooped my head over the fence to see 6 chickens happily clucking around th

Is there anything those barbaric Kanajun colonist,webbed fingered,inbreds wont do to wash the seal blood off their hands?Still I suppose,once you bash the poor little seal buggers skulls in,what's lef

1 hour ago, Dimitri said:

I think you & me are going to get along just fine,:biggrin:

"if you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine."

• Upvote 1

"the team may be sh*t, but they are our sh*t" boldfinger

4 hours ago, Larry-AV said:

BOOM !!!

16/05/2017 : The German WW2 bomb found in Priory Road, Aston, was detonated at 15:35 hours today. I live a mile or so away and the blast gave the area a shake. The BBC News Channel broadcast the news some 20 minutes later. I had looked on the BBC and Birmingham Mail websites this morning where under Roads Closed they included Priory Road, Edgbaston. :doh:

2 hours ago, avstu said:

Caused havoc on the roads all the way back to Cannock!

I had just arrived at work in Aston when the bomb was detonated,  We heard it,  felt the earth move and could see the smoke. Had to leave the house half hour early to get there because of the traffic. Practically every road in Aston and surrounding areas was gridlocked. I tell you what,  if villa were playing a match on Monday night it would of been called off as no one including the players would have been able to get there 

fliegetn0.gif

On Tuesday, February 14, 2017 at 6:41 PM, Dimitri said:

worst thing was the break up of brittish rail & going private,thanks thatcher

Yes,  VOTE LABOUR,  renationalise the railways, (safety before profit)

also  vote labour to renationalise the gas,  the water and royal mail,  too,

and vote labour for free university tuition fees. It's alright for the rich kids who have mommy and daddy to pay but working class teenagers are being saddled with massive debt.

Vote labour  too for free prescriptions 

PS they are already free in Scotland as are tuition fees 

fliegetn0.gif

1 minute ago, Patrick said:

Yes,  VOTE LABOUR,  renationalise the railways, (safety before profit)

also  vote labour to renationalise the gas,  the water and royal mail,  too,

and vote labour for free university tuition fees. It's alright for the rich kids who have mommy and daddy to pay but working class teenagers are being saddled with massive debt.

Vote labour  too for free prescriptions 

PS they are already free in Scotland as are tuition fees 

id be a labour voter if I was English tbf

m2ThHd1o-KvVhMbtbmLiE8Q.jpg

controversial_dimitri.png

I should be a Labour voter, ideologically they represent so much of what I believe in, our utilities and travel network should be nationalised and run for the benefit of the nation and not so a few can make vast profits. But when they are nationalised the unions use them to declare war on democratically elected governments.

The idea of sticking it to the greedy bastards who ponce off the rest of us is very appealing, but it doesn't work. Not so many years ago you got a job and you could stand on your own two feet, working people didn't claim benefits to make ends meet, the current system is unsustainable as we drown in a mountain of debt yet Labour want to borrow more while at the same time continue paying billions to the EU and keep allowing millions of low paid unskilled people to come here. And all of this while we have spent decades shipping all our skilled jobs in manufacturing off to the East.

We are now a low skilled economy with a shortage of housing and a surplus of unskilled workers, the effects of that are to force wages down and house prices up, that is not theory it is undeniable fact because it is what has happened.

What Labour are offering is more of the same, so I will vote Tory and hope for real change and getting us out of the EU is a start, though personally I think we are seeing the start of the end of Western society because those who make the decisions are too gutless, selfish and bound by dogma to actually stop the rot.

• Upvote 1

17/05/2017 : As with the General Election in 2010, we have the choice between kind incompetence from Labour or cold efficiency from the Conservatives. Looking at the Labour Manifesto I think most folks would like to see the utilities and rail companies removed from the private sector and brought under public ownership, likewise Royal Mail. The questions then arise as to how well would they be run and how and by whom ... and all that without even considering how much would it cost and how would the cost be paid ?

The same questions of cost cover abolishing tuition fees. The one sensible policy is to borrow now, with interest rates at virtually zero, to fund capital projects, infrastructure, but this should only be done where such investment is needed.

The real show-stopper for Labour is Jeremy Corbyn. He is a decent and honourable man, but the anti-nuclear power, anti-NATO and anti-nuclear deterrent policies that he has consistently advocated all his adult life put him at odds with the official policy of his own Party (atm) but more importantly, with the vast majority of the public.

I have posted before on AVF and repeat it here for any who missed it, that it was the Labour Government of Clement Attlee that decided that the UK needed its own independent nuclear deterrent and authorised the work needed to make this happen. This was done after the USA reneged on the wartime agreement to share the technology.

Returning to the forthcoming General Election, the Conservatives may not be so cold as before. Bear in mind that it was Theresa May who called the Tories 'the nasty party' and her statements on retaining workers' rights and being for everyone, not just the privilged few, have rightly been compared to Labour policies in 2010.

AVFC RFC SAFC

25 minutes ago, Larry-AV said:

17/05/2017 : As with the General Election in 2010, we have the choice between kind incompetence from Labour or cold efficiency from the Conservatives. Looking at the Labour Manifesto I think most folks would like to see the utilities and rail companies removed from the private sector and brought under public ownership, likewise Royal Mail. The questions then arise as to how well would they be run and how and by whom ... and all that without even considering how much would it cost and how would the cost be paid ?

fliegetn0.gif