FORUM IS CURRENTLY BEING UPGRADED, PLEASE BEAR WITH US. ×

The general discussion thread

Over the past year or so I have had two close calls with big dogs when out walking, a Mastiff and an Alsation and on both occasions I was fully aware that I was one wrong move from at least a very nasty bite, if the assailant had been a Chihuahua the biggest danger would have been laughing so much that it got chance to nip me before I launched it over the nearest hedge.

I'm a dog lover but is it really sensible that any idiot or for that matter anybody can own a dog that if it turns is nigh impossible to stop ?

Your right it is mostly bad owners and I bet statistically Pitbulls bite less people than Chihuahuas, why the Pitbull is vilified is because of the damage a full on attack will cause.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good question. Not sure there's anything overly exciting I really want to do that I haven't done already, apart from marry you at the Addies and live happily ever after under the Holte, obviously...

I forgot to mention! After reading this post this afternoon I was in the garden and heard chickens in my neigbours garden. I pooped my head over the fence to see 6 chickens happily clucking around th

Is there anything those barbaric Kanajun colonist,webbed fingered,inbreds wont do to wash the seal blood off their hands?Still I suppose,once you bash the poor little seal buggers skulls in,what's lef

My Mastiff is 9 and a half stone and I'm very conscious of that, i have two kids one a teenager the other 9 years old, He's soft as sh*t, and no I'm not saying that because I'm his owner he is actually so laid back he would fall over given the chance. Education and research of breeds is essential before buying or owning, and i mean any breed however small or large. Simba is 3 now and has been bought up in a controlled but loving family where he knows where he stands in the pecking order, this is key to me a healthy happy dog is one where it knows where it stands and that begins with the owners no-one else.

put the effort in and you will reap the rewards of the love these animals can give. Whatever the breed.

Edited by MadMax71

My Mastiff is 9 and a half stone and I'm very conscious of that, i have two kids one a teenager the other 9 years old, He's soft as sh*t, and no I'm not saying that because I'm his owner he is actually so laid back he would fall over given the chance. Education and research of breeds is essential before buying or owning, and i mean any breed however small or large. Simba is 3 now and has been bought up in a controlled but loving family where he knows where he stands in the pecking order, this is key to me a healthy happy dog is one where it knows where it stands and that begins with the owners no-one else.

put the effort in and you will reap the rewards of the love these animals can give.

I would guess the Mastiff I encountered was about that size.....I was walking down a quiet footpath when I received a text so I stood there typing my reply when I became aware that about 10ft away was a big dog growling at me, the owner was at least 100ft away and made no attempt to call the dog back. I decided the best course of action was to ignore it stand still and continue typing my text out. When the owner got close enough I got the impression it was a common occurrence, he chastised the dog slightly and carried merrily on his way. I was far from impressed and wanted to kick the sh*t out off the stupid b**tard but all things considered it didn't appear to be a very good idea.

He was a bad owner and if I had my way would not be allowed to keep a dog, what would have happened if I was a kid and had panicked ? by the time that dopey b**tard got there a kid could have been killed.

Totally agree mate, pricks like that don't know what they have until its too late, we did the research and like i say are now reaping the rewards, these dogs don't live long and you want to make the most of your time together, and that don't mean pulling em off people. Luckily the only thing we have to dodge is his dribble when he shakes his head lol

• Upvote 1

Research is important, the breeds do vary. This time last week I thought one of mine was dying, I'm not ashamed to say I was close to tears as I sat with him dipping my fingers in his water bowl and getting him to lick the water from my fingertips as he wouldn't drink from his bowl. Sweetest sound I've heard in a long time was a couple of days later when he barked at the door bell.

As you say they don't live very long but ours have bought so much joy into our lives, I was always the one who opposed getting a dog because of the amount of care they require. A week after I finally relented and bought the wife a dog I went out and got another because I felt it cruel to only have one, Leo needed a buddy so I went out and got Bilko (  I got to name the 2nd one ) One of the greatest feelings in the world is to arrive home  and be greeted by my boys, the wife is often a little put out that they get a fuss first.

Not sure what its like over there but in the UK most Pitbull's now are so interbred to make the best fighting dog they are all unbalanced!!

Not i chance i would let my Kids near one!! never ever not even supervised! i knew someone who bred fighting dogs and indeed did time for it! over here the breed is a nasty crazy and dangerous animal! 

Loyal, thats one of the most idiotic statements ive ever heard from you. you dont interbreed dogs to get what you want you LINE breed to improve your stock.  pitbulls were bred for what??? fighting.

The APBT over the pond has been so watered down from working stock into pets they're not fit for the breed purpose.

ok so how many of these were actually properly trained dogs? That's an owner problem, not a dog problem. Pitbulls are such easy targets for blame, but what about every other breed out there? Where are the stats on those? Because I refuse to believe no other breed of dog attacks people or other animals. This has become a stupid conversation and I'm not going to argue it anymore. We don't see eye to eye and that's OK. I just know based on my experiences and have never encountered a bad pitbull. I've been bitten by a chihuahua a hundred more times than by a pitbull. Let's ban the chihuahua!!

most people over here have no clue about APBT's many are just sheep feeding off the shite they've been told or read in some rag.

one of the most dangerous dogs on this planet is still aloud in the UK. i can bet most people havent even heard of it let alone seen one.

Edited by lifelongvilla
poor spelling

most people over hear have no clue about APBT's many are just sheep feeding off the shite they've been told or read in some rag.

one of the most dangerous dogs on this planet is still aloud in the UK. i can bet most people havent even heard of it let alone seen one.

what is it?

m2ThHd1o-KvVhMbtbmLiE8Q.jpg

controversial_dimitri.png