FORUM IS CURRENTLY BEING UPGRADED, PLEASE BEAR WITH US. ×

The general discussion thread

most of the time people don't understand what it takes to raise these dogs properly. They don't educate themselves properly or receive the appropriate resources. And the dogs don't get the attention and training needed to be a well mannered dog. It's not a breed problem, it's an owner problem. My mom's pitbull is outstanding. She is so friendly and more stupid than she is vicious haha. She rarely barks and stops when you tell her to. My aunts chihuahua is more dangerous than the pitbull. People are trying to get rid of the ban in the city but as of now it's still in effect. Only in Winnipeg though. Mom lives in a different town in the province which is why she can continue to have the pitbull. Unlike Ontario where the entire province has a pitbull ban. I always say it's "dog racism".

would you leave your moms pitbull alone in room with a young child

fliegetn0.gif

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good question. Not sure there's anything overly exciting I really want to do that I haven't done already, apart from marry you at the Addies and live happily ever after under the Holte, obviously...

I forgot to mention! After reading this post this afternoon I was in the garden and heard chickens in my neigbours garden. I pooped my head over the fence to see 6 chickens happily clucking around th

Is there anything those barbaric Kanajun colonist,webbed fingered,inbreds wont do to wash the seal blood off their hands?Still I suppose,once you bash the poor little seal buggers skulls in,what's lef

Obviously there are many circumstances to take into account. I know my mom's pitbull wouldn't do anything to a child and would actually just lay on her bed as she couldn't be bothered to get up. Obviously I wouldn't leave a child alone with the dog before allowing them to meet and get used to each other. The age of said child would also be a factor. Would I leave a baby in the room? Absolutely not but I wouldn't even let a baby be in a room by themselves, dog or no dog. But if said child was say, older than three and I had to go to the bathroom, yes I would. All I meant in my response was that I do trust this dog and I know that she's too dumb and lazy to do anything anyway. If the kid got in her face, she would just lick and play. She has never bitten or attacked anything in her life. No need to make me out to be a bad irresponsible person. 

Obviously there are many circumstances to take into account. I know my mom's pitbull wouldn't do anything to a child and would actually just lay on her bed as she couldn't be bothered to get up. Obviously I wouldn't leave a child alone with the dog before allowing them to meet and get used to each other. The age of said child would also be a factor. Would I leave a baby in the room? Absolutely not but I wouldn't even let a baby be in a room by themselves, dog or no dog. But if said child was say, older than three and I had to go to the bathroom, yes I would. All I meant in my response was that I do trust this dog and I know that she's too dumb and lazy to do anything anyway. If the kid got in her face, she would just lick and play. She has never bitten or attacked anything in her life. No need to make me out to be a bad irresponsible person. 

Not trying to mate.

nor was i but sadly there are numerous cases of pittbulls  attacking and mauling people of all ages when before the attack the owners were saying how  friendly the dogs were with people

fliegetn0.gif

nor was i but sadly there are numerous cases of pittbulls  attacking and mauling people of all ages when before the attack the owners were saying how  friendly the dogs were with people

i understand that but more often than not these dogs are provoked to that point and knowing mine she has a high threshold for annoyance and has shown protective behaviours with every child she's come in contact with. Would I leave a dog I don't know in a room with a child? Absolutely not. 

I have two King Charles Cavalier Spaniels, they are the first Dogs I have owned and through watching certain TV programmes and reading books I have learned a fair bit about Dogs but I in no way feel qualified for certain breeds. To own an animal that is capable of killing without one iota of knowledge is dangerous and we often see the tragic results.

These type of dogs are nearly always soft as shite, certainly better behaved in many respects than my two disobedient little Spaniels but they were bred to fight and when not trained properly or just been a dog with a nasty personality they can be lethal.

Personally I think all dog owners should have to undergo training and pass a test and owning an animal that attacks should see an ultimate penalty of that owner been banned for life from owning dogs. That doesn't mean any bite should result in a life ban but it should be a possibility for bad owners.

I have two King Charles Cavalier Spaniels, they are the first Dogs I have owned and through watching certain TV programmes and reading books I have learned a fair bit about Dogs but I in no way feel qualified for certain breeds. To own an animal that is capable of killing without one iota of knowledge is dangerous and we often see the tragic results.

These type of dogs are nearly always soft as shite, certainly better behaved in many respects than my two disobedient little Spaniels but they were bred to fight and when not trained properly or just been a dog with a nasty personality they can be lethal.

Personally I think all dog owners should have to undergo training and pass a test and owning an animal that attacks should see an ultimate penalty of that owner been banned for life from owning dogs. That doesn't mean any bite should result in a life ban but it should be a possibility for bad owners.

I would agree with that. However I think all dogs are capable of killing. My aunt's chihuahua could rip out your jugular if she wanted to. And I don't believe that certain breeds are inherently dangerous. If they never see that type of behaviour they can't learn it. Very similar to children. If children are raised in abusive households, that's all they know and could potentially learn that behaviour. If dogs never see this, where do they learn it from? I think they get bad reputations because certain breeds like pitbulls or rottweilers have such a strong head and jaw and the amount of pressure in their bite is astounding. But if they have never been exposed to using that for the sake of using it and not for instinct or protection, I don't think they will. But I do think that people should have to have an earned permit to own a dog. Not just so they know how to control it, but even for the ability to care for it properly instead of leaving it on a leash all day or not feeding it. 

Edited by Klein