FORUM IS CURRENTLY BEING UPGRADED, PLEASE BEAR WITH US. ×

The Rémi Garde Thread

avstu

30 minutes ago, dorset lion said:

I know very little about him and on the face of it finishes of 3rd 4th and 5th with Lyon looks impressive, but how many on here realise that Lyon have been champions of France 7 times so far this century, would somebody taking over UTD and finishing 3rd 4th and 5th be hailed as a genius ? I very much doubt it.

I am not having a go at Garde, I don't know the details of Lyons fall from grace and as none of us really follow French football all we have to go by is the opinions of others in the media and statistics.

A bit disingenuous. To compare Lyon to Manure is a bit like comparing QPR to Arsenal.

Lyon have only won Ligue 1 a total of 7 times in their entire history, all between 2002 and 2008. Seven consecutive years of league victory with no previous history. A lot of money was invested during this period to try and break the Champions League and when this didn't work the plug was pulled in '08, much like happened with Villa. Since then they have constantly sold their best players and replaced them with cheaper options. Benzema, Lloris, Toulalan, Pjanic, Martial, Lovren, Gomis, Fred and Ben Arfa are just some of the players sold since Garde arrived there at the start of the 08/09 season.

I don't know if Garde will work out at Villa Park but he's a hell of a lot of a better option than Sherwood and I'm starting to think he might be a better option than Moyes would have been. We shall see.

Garde of the Villa

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, richrvillian said:

A bit disingenuous. To compare Lyon to Manure is a bit like comparing QPR to Arsenal.

Lyon have only won Ligue 1 a total of 7 times in their entire history, all between 2002 and 2008. Seven consecutive years of league victory with no previous history. A lot of money was invested during this period to try and break the Champions League and when this didn't work the plug was pulled in '08, much like happened with Villa. Since then they have constantly sold their best players and replaced them with cheaper options. Benzema, Lloris, Toulalan, Pjanic, Martial, Lovren, Gomis, Fred and Ben Arfa are just some of the players sold since Garde arrived there at the start of the 08/09 season.

I don't know if Garde will work out at Villa Park but he's a hell of a lot of a better option than Sherwood and I'm starting to think he might be a better option than Moyes would have been. We shall see.

Garde of the Villa

I was merely pointing out the fact that Lyon had been the dominant force in France for some time so a top 5 finish was hardly the sign of a genius at work and having a look online I see they finished 2nd last year, now was that because of the ground work laid by Remi or because the new guy is better ? I haven't a clue.

Let me put it like this, if Guardiola was announced as the new boss we would all be overjoyed, if Neil Warnock was the new boss the fans would be storming Villa Park but neither is the case Remi Garde is our new manager and without looking him up I doubt 90% of us knew bugger all about him so I go back to my original statement....3 years as a manager at one club, he is a rookie but he has my backing.

13 hours ago, avstu said: Why is he a rookie? Because you dont know nothing about him?

You seem to think I was insulting him, he is a rookie because he only has 3 years as a manager under his belt at one club and because of that people can do all the research they want but it doesn't change the fact he is a largely unknown quantity.

I know very little about him and on the face of it finishes of 3rd 4th and 5th with Lyon looks impressive, but how many on here realise that Lyon have been champions of France 7 times so far this century, would somebody taking over UTD and finishing 3rd 4th and 5th be hailed as a genius ? I very much doubt it.

I am not having a go at Garde, I don't know the details of Lyons fall from grace and as none of us really follow French football all we have to go by is the opinions of others in the media and statistics.

Welcome to Villa Park Remi and I hope you are as good as many seem to think.

I didn't mate, just questioning your thinking behind it.

Your stats about Lyon don't tell the full story do they? Lyon were crippled with debt and had to sell off there best assets in a time that PSG and Monaco got took over by billionaires.

This isn't aimed at you Dorset, but I have so many question his Premiership experience.

Below is the list of current managers and in brackets I have put yes or no in terms of Premier experience before their current job.

Pellagrini (no)

Wenger (no)

Ranieri (yes, but no for his time at Chelsea)

Van Gaal (no)

Bilic (no)

Potchetini (yes, but no for his time at Southampton)

Klopp (no)

Martinez (yes)

Pardew (yes)

Flores (no)

Pulis (yes)

Monk (no)

Hughes (yes)

Jose (yes, but no for first time at Chelsea)

Neil (no)

Howe (no)

McLaren (yes)

Alladyce (yes)

So of the 19 clubs (other than Villa), 10 of them have managers with no prem experience. 13 if you include the three that have had previous spells in the Prem.

Maybe it's a sign of the times?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mellberg_Signature.png

"Winning isn't everything, but it beats anything that comes in second." - Paul Bryant

This article gives a concise summary of Remi Garde's playing and managerial record.

Skysports - Remi Garde to Aston Villa: We profile man set to succeed Tim Sherwood

We all know by now that Arsene Wenger and Gerard Houllier have worked with and have spoken highly of Remi Garde, so it is reasonable to take their positive opinions of his past as indicating a positive future for AVFC too.

Here's hoping !

AVFC RFC SAFC

Stu I fully agree with you regarding PL experience, not an issue for me because as you say so many have come in and made a success of it. I just think people are trying to convince themselves that this is a good appointment, which I fully understand I'm sat here now doing the same thing when the reality of it is we have little to base any opinion on.

what does PL experience mean?,do you only earn your stripes as manager having being a sucsess in the PL?

I too believe he is a rookie manager,but has managed at a good level with a decent side,he is something different,i am fairly happy enough with the appointment 

m2ThHd1o-KvVhMbtbmLiE8Q.jpg

controversial_dimitri.png

Stu I fully agree with you regarding PL experience, not an issue for me because as you say so many have come in and made a success of it. I just think people are trying to convince themselves that this is a good appointment, which I fully understand I'm sat here now doing the same thing when the reality of it is we have little to base any opinion on.

I think it's a case of having no choice. We just have to back him and hope it comes good.

I only know what I do about the man because I researched about him. I honestly have no idea if he will be a success or not. More than anything - I want us to be successful again. Make it fun watching the Villa again and not a chore.

I won't and never have demanded 'tippy tappy' football. Winning football will come before attractive football every day of the week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mellberg_Signature.png

"Winning isn't everything, but it beats anything that comes in second." - Paul Bryant

Its all down to the players,it seems most fans have taken to him already which is good. But the players are the ones, Look at Chelsea JM looks like he has lost the dressing room, players have that much power today its frightening , we will see how the team respond.

31 minutes ago, Dimitri said:

what does PL experience mean?,do you only earn your stripes as manager having being a sucsess in the PL?

I too believe he is a rookie manager,but has managed at a good level with a decent side,he is something different,i am fairly happy enough with the appointment 

Under the circumstances, I think it's about as good an appointment as we could hope for.

Moyes would have been my pick but I imagine it could have been a protracted process.

Garde has managed under similar constraints to ours, and Moyes too, to a degree, with Everton.

I would be hacked off if Newcastle were to sack McClaren and get Moyes though, I must admit lol

Archived