Welcome to Aston Villa Forum - avillafan.com

Welcome to Aston Villa Forum - avillafan.com, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Aston Villa Forum - avillafan.com by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Loyalvillan

National Service

this is something that i think should be brought back, not necessarily on the front line but if needed yes!

as a family man and a father of 4 Children i think it would provide some feral children with some much needed discipline and sense of honour, discipline and loyalty to our country!

your thoughts??

We have had this conversation on AVF before, Loyal.

#262998 National Service, Yes Or No?
Posted by Larry-AV on 22/07/2014 in The Holte Suite
National Service will not be reintroduced because the Armed Forces oppose it.
The Royal Navy, Royal Air Force and British Army are all volunteer and professional organisations.
They do not want their attentions diverted from their duties, by instilling the discipline and manners that should be inculcacted by parents and teachers, at home and at school.
Now every generation seems to take a dim view of the 'Youth of Today'.
Well, apart from those here who are at their Youth stage, we were all the 'Youth of Today', in times past !
I for one am determined not to decline into a 'Grumpy Old Man'.
We are only young once, so let the 'Youth of Today' have the time to enjoy their youth ... and not be conscripted.
A most telling statement : Young Man's Blood ... Old Man's War.
Think about it.

Sort a lot of the work shy and regenerate a culture of worth and neighborly love/harmony.

this is something that i think should be brought back, not necessarily on the front line but if needed yes!

as a family man and a father of 4 Children i think it would provide some feral children with some much needed discipline and sense of honour, discipline and loyalty to our country!

your thoughts??

Lots of pro's and cons, however military life only really works if you want to be there. i wouldnt want to see these lads/lasses sent to fight with front line units, this type of thing should be purely voluntary.

I believe it SHOULD happen. Part of me wishes I had to do it aswell.

Schools don't teach you enough these days.

seeing and speaking to turks in turkey where national service is still compulsory for all young men it seems to do them good

I believe it SHOULD happen. Part of me wishes I had to do it aswell.

Schools don't teach you enough these days.

About what?

Teachers teach their respective subjects. Shouldn't be up to us to instill discipline in children.

Teachers get blamed for all society's ills, despite the fact that parents have often ruined their children before they get to us.

About what?

Teachers teach their respective subjects. Shouldn't be up to us to instill discipline in children.

Teachers get blamed for all society's ills, despite the fact that parents have often ruined their children before they get to us.

Absolutely!!! Couldn't have said it better myself!! Momma Peev sent me a video about teaching from teachers. Four minutes of pure bliss to hear my views on teaching recognised.

About what?

I didn't mean that in a negative way. School do what they should do but they don't help you with changes to adult hood.

Respect and self discipline.

Actually had a convo the other day with the wife and both agreed that there should be a compulsory work experience scheme.

Not the one where you find the job you would like to do and spend two weeks there. You should be forced into doing all different types of job over say a 2 month period.

See what you are good at, like etc.

I wonder how many adults grow up wishing they took a different career path but feel trapped by mortgages and bills etc?

I didn't mean that in a negative way. School do what they should do but they don't help you with changes to adult hood.

Respect and self discipline.

Actually had a convo the other day with the wife and both agreed that there should be a compulsory work experience scheme.

Not the one where you find the job you would like to do and spend two weeks there. You should be forced into doing all different types of job over say a 2 month period.

See what you are good at, like etc.

I wonder how many adults grow up wishing they took a different career path but feel trapped by mortgages and bills etc?

State schools no longer offer even the two weeks of work experience that they used to because the government cut all the funding and the support systems within local authorities for this.

With the best will in the world, there's no way any school can secure placements for hundreds of students without that assistance.

Men and women wanted to fight for this country of ours in the early wars in a time where we were no where near as multicultural as we are today. And for a Country they loved

My fear on conscription or National service in todays society in our country would be in my opinion a open door for any radical organisation to infiltrate the system we have and gain momentum from within.

Although these men and women can go abroad at the moment and "get trained" so to speak, giving them access to our training and weapon systems would be again in my opinion a recipe for disaster.

Unfortunately there are factions of our society (and quite large ones) that aren't willing to accept our way of life and the "British" Flag. Therefore it simply would not work.

Nearly got into a lot of trouble expressing my views on my CLM ( command leadership management) course over this subject, but feel quite strongly about it.

Men and women wanted to fight for this country of ours in the early wars in a time where we were no where near as multicultural as we are today. And for a Country they loved

My fear on conscription or National service in todays society in our country would be in my opinion a open door for any radical organisation to infiltrate the system we have and gain momentum from within.

Although these men and women can go abroad at the moment and "get trained" so to speak, giving them access to our training and weapon systems would be again in my opinion a recipe for disaster.

Unfortunately there are factions of our society (and quite large ones) that aren't willing to accept our way of life and the "British" Flag. Therefore it simply would not work.

Nearly got into a lot of trouble expressing my views on my CLM ( career leadership management) course over this subject, but feel quite strongly about it.

I agree mate, if people want to live in this country respect our culture or leave. Same as we would have to if we chose to live in another country.

Teachers can only teach students what they can. You cant really teach kids discipline and respect and i think the only way you can do that is by putting them in the forces

Teachers can only teach students what they can. You cant really teach kids discipline and respect and i think the only way you can do that is by putting them in the forces

Start with parents !

If a kid hasn't learnt respect from their parents then National service wouldn't make a blind bit of difference. We have removed all the deterents that once kept most arseholes in line.

Whats a Sergeant Major going to do to a conscript who doesn't want to be there, shout at him a bit ? is that really going to worry some kid who grew up with no respect for the rules ? that kid would know full well that if Sarg laid a hand on him then Sarg would be flung out the Army and the kid would be straight onto a lawyer suing the Army.....or he'd just stab him and take a couple of years in prison as preferable to a couple in the Army.

Start with parents !

agreed, but with some many Feral parents rasing feral children it would give those kids a better chance to gain discipline and have a better more productive life!

agreed, but with some many Feral parents rasing feral children it would give those kids a better chance to gain discipline and have a better more productive life!

Too late for many by that age, sadly.