Dublin Villain

Sherwood Urges Agbonlahor To Show Bottle

53 posts in this topic

Tim Sherwood has appealed to Gabriel Agbonlahor to ignore the social media trolls and help play the role of lieutenant in the Aston Villa camp.

The Villa manager advised his club captain not to worry about Twitter critics after Agbonlahor, who missed Saturday’s entertaining draw with Sunderland due to illness, posted a cryptic message on Instagram saying he agreed with all the fans’ recent comments following his poor performance in last week’s defeat at Crystal Palace.

With 10 new signings at Villa, Sherwood knows he needs the club’s longest-serving player to help lead the way as he plans a brighter future for a team that have struggled against relegation for five years.

“What Gabby has to realise is no one is going to like you all of the time,” Sherwood said. “I realised that when I played through my career. You get ups and downs. [but] when you come through it, you get stronger.

“He has a huge part to play because we bought a lot of new boys into the club [so he has] a crucial part to play in the dressing room. I haven’t spoken to Gabby and I don’t know what he is thinking but he is club captain. I don’t underestimate the role he plays at this club and it is crucial for a manager to have some lieutenants.”

Villa’s leading Premier League goalscorer has been at the club since childhood and, at his pacy best, would have provided Sherwood with the extra cutting edge required to overcome a fragile Sunderland team.

Have to say some of the abuse levelled at him has been really harsh. I despise the whole twitter culture where you abuse someone behind a keyboard.

There is nothing wrong with people raising concerns on a forum like this over a players performances and yes he had a really poor game against Palace but it's not good to stick the boot in on one of your own on his instagram, twitter etc.

I have probably made the odd flippant remark on here myself out of frustration because he can be unplayable on his day but the personal abuse on social media is just foolish.

Hopefully the next we see of him he will have a point to prove and he does appear to be a key figure in the dressing room as mentioned by Sherwood which is important with all the new faces and changes at the club.

I'm far from calling on people to hold back criticizing performances as that's what forums like this are here for but I do think we should try and get behind him a little more rather then rounding on our own players.

I take it you've seen Gabby's stats for the last 5 seasons, he averages 5 goals a season which wouldn't keep us in the EPL. I like Gabby as a Villa player/Fan but he just isn't up to scratch anymore.

I take it you've seen Gabby's stats for the last 5 seasons, he averages 5 goals a season which wouldn't keep us in the EPL. I like Gabby as a Villa player/Fan but he just isn't up to scratch anymore.

I mentioned that myself in another thread, I fully agree 5,6 goals a season just isn't good enough. I feel we have stronger attacking options now and I would not start him but I do feel he can contribute.

My point is just the slaughtering he was receiving was a bit much. Similarly I think Bennett was slated in a twitter Q & A a while back by ViIla fans.

Not on Twitter myself so haven't seen the abuse, but agree these morons hide behind keyboards to launch attacks on a player that although hasn't been prolific in the goalscoring department has been a loyal servant. Also mentioned Gabby in other threads about him not being good enough to start anymore, but thats not his fault the Gaffer picks the team. Nice lad doesn't deserve that.

Everyone knows my opinion on Gabby, was a big fan when he was coming through then he bulked up and it went down hill from there. I criticise him when he performs badly but do praise him on a rare good performance aswel. I do have him on instagram but dont think its right for people to abuse him on there or on twitter. Would love to see the gabby of 7 years ago being a nuisance to defenders but i just feel those days are gone

Everyone knows my opinion on Gabby, was a big fan when he was coming through then he bulked up and it went down hill from there. I criticise him when he performs badly but do praise him on a rare good performance aswel. I do have him on instagram but dont think its right for people to abuse him on there or on twitter. Would love to see the gabby of 7 years ago being a nuisance to defenders but i just feel those days are gone

Why have someone on instagram that you despise so much??

This is my biggest gripe with these keyboard warriors, little fannies scared of their own shadows. hide behind a screen and give people sh*t because they're safe. These same people would look at the floor as they walk past, not confident enough to look you in the eye.

Why have someone on instagram that you despise so much??

This is my biggest gripe with these keyboard warriors, little fannies scared of their own shadows. hide behind a screen and give people sh*t because they're safe. These same people would look at the floor as they walk past, not confident enough to look you in the eye.

Where did i say i despise him???

Where did i say i despise him???

You didnt, however its very clear you have serious issues with the lad pulling a shirt on for Villa.

You didnt, however its very clear you have serious issues with the lad pulling a shirt on for Villa.

I base that on performances so dont be posting on here saying who i despise ok!

Have to say some of the abuse levelled at him has been really harsh. I despise the whole twitter culture where you abuse someone behind a keyboard.

There is nothing wrong with people raising concerns on a forum like this over a players performances and yes he had a really poor game against Palace but it's not good to stick the boot in on one of your own on his instagram, twitter etc.

I have probably made the odd flippant remark on here myself out of frustration because he can be unplayable on his day but the personal abuse on social media is just foolish.

Hopefully the next we see of him he will have a point to prove and he does appear to be a key figure in the dressing room as mentioned by Sherwood which is important with all the new faces and changes at the club.

I'm far from calling on people to hold back criticizing performances as that's what forums like this are here for but I do think we should try and get behind him a little more rather then rounding on our own players.

fair post I dont like seeing players abused on social media and personal abuse is not acceptable. Fans have the right to criticise performances of players and are frustrated with gabby, as he may well be himself. Sherwood chooses the team based on what he sees in training it may be a case of he cant reproduce what he does then in a match. I have criticised him but im sorry if we are honest with ourselves he is not good enough anymore at this level, and we cant have players who we carry in the team. The reasons are simple he hasnt performed for a long time,and him given that new contract has made him comfortable in his position and perhaps become complacent. He is under threat as a villa player we have sinclair, gil, grealish and traore who sadly offer more at this moment in time. Gabby has been played out of position over the years inhis defence, so his ratio of goals to games will be affected tbf to him. He has been loyal and deserves respect for staying with us so long in the days of mercenaries and liars, who only are intrested in money. I really hope he proves myself and others wrong and sherwood is testing the water here on whether he has the character to turn it around. If he wasnt a local lad or villa fan he would have been turned on alot longer ago, that is the sad truth of the matter. Slowly he will be phased out of the team but it should be dignified and not disrespectful.

I base that on performances so dont be posting on here saying who i despise ok!

not entirely true, last season the team on a whole was shocking yet you singled gabby almost out every game.

fair post I dont like seeing players abused on social media and personal abuse is not acceptable. Fans have the right to criticise performances of players and are frustrated with gabby, as he may well be himself. Sherwood chooses the team based on what he sees in training it may be a case of he cant reproduce what he does then in a match. I have criticised him but im sorry if we are honest with ourselves he is not good enough anymore at this level, and we cant have players who we carry in the team. The reasons are simple he hasnt performed for a long time,and him given that new contract has made him comfortable in his position and perhaps become complacent. He is under threat as a villa player we have sinclair, gil, grealish and traore who sadly offer more at this moment in time. Gabby has been played out of position over the years inhis defence, so his ratio of goals to games will be affected tbf to him. He has been loyal and deserves respect for staying with us so long in the days of mercenaries and liars, who only are intrested in money. I really hope he proves myself and others wrong and sherwood is testing the water here on whether he has the character to turn it around. If he wasnt a local lad or villa fan he would have been turned on alot longer ago, that is the sad truth of the matter. Slowly he will be phased out of the team but it should be dignified and not disrespectful.

Good post.

unlike most footballers gabby does not have a twitter account

and if he was getting abuse on there ,,,,,,its easy to block people as stan collymoore does to anyone who disagrees with him

i think sherwood meant online fans forums ,,,,,,,,,,,not twitter

i dont really see gabby as an out & out striker tbf

Never been the same since. Was immense before that

Reading the tabloids recently if Gabby had more of a settled home life and kept it zipped then maybe his performances on the pitch would be as good as off it.

Not sure with the recent publicity that he should continue to hold the position of club Captain?

Reading the tabloids recently if Gabby had more of a settled home life and kept it zipped then maybe his performances on the pitch would be as good as off it.

Not sure with the recent publicity that he should continue to hold the position of club Captain?

Haven't seen any of that mate but he shouldn't be club captain anyway in my opinion - his performances on the pitch don't warrant such a position of trust .

Too much like nzogbia and only seems to try when he feels like it.

I lost patience with him long ago sadly .

Haven't seen any of that mate but he shouldn't be club captain anyway in my opinion - his performances on the pitch don't warrant such a position of trust .

I'll try to find a link but it appeared in 'The Sun' mate so might not be able to access it?

Ok found it. Thought twice about posting it but not something the club captain should be doing so interested in opinion. Not sure it warranted a new thread so posted it here.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/6641456/Gabby-Agbonlahor-split-after-ex-has-love-child.html

Sad to say if I'd been told a story like this would break he is the first person I'd expect it to be .

Not sure it affects his football that much but it's not good .

Sad to say if I'd been told a story like this would break he is the first person I'd expect it to be .

Not sure it affects his football that much but it's not good .

Things like this do effect player performances, there's been a few other cases of drops in form due to personal problems off the pitch.

Things like this do effect player performances, there's been a few other cases of drops in form due to personal problems off the pitch.

Hes been so poor for so long I'm not sure we notice the difference though.

I don't think this story has anything to do with his performance. From what I understand this isn't new in his life and has been going on for a few months now. And he's been playing better than he has the past couple of weeks. Who cares what he does in his spare time? As long as he can set up chances the man can do what he wants in my opinion.

Its nearly Halloween night ,,,,,,,,time to play spot the pumpkin

CSVFuX6WwAAMRTQ.jpg

nice to see gabby being creative

CSVFutGWEAAkuPT.jpg

Sherwood was right about that, but the problem is he needs to show up in matches first