Welcome to Aston Villa Forum - avillafan.com

Welcome to Aston Villa Forum - avillafan.com, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Aston Villa Forum - avillafan.com by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

avstu

Dennis Praet

Does anyone know why Sherwood is so against giving Gil a chance??

maybe he thought with the current Squad and situation when he arrived he though Gill being involved was not the best option at the time, surely he has to give him a shot with some of the continental players we are about to sign and rumoured to be perusing??

Does anyone know why Sherwood is so against giving Gil a chance??

They allegedly had a bust up.

really?? when? about what? details Woman, details!! ;)

Don't know the details but word was Gil didn't take too kindly to not playing and things got heated. How true that is I couldn't tell you.

Don't know the details but word was Gil didn't take too kindly to not playing and things got heated. How true that is I couldn't tell you.

Good to see a player getting angry about not playing ...

better to be like that than being a benchwallah !!!

Lets hope he is not a depature and the players we are signing will work with him!

If Sherwood gets rid of a player because he WANTS to play then he's an idiot. The amount of timewasters we had at the club and on the bench should be gotten rid of first.

If Sherwood gets rid of a player because he WANTS to play then he's an idiot. The amount of timewasters we had at the club and on the bench should be gotten rid of first.

Trust in Tim!!

he deserves that after saving us last season

Trust in Tim!!

he deserves that after saving us last season

If he sells Gil then he's an idiot.

He deserves some credit but it's not like Sherwood did an amazing job. He dragged us over the line - just.

If he sells Gil then he's an idiot.

He deserves some credit but it's not like Sherwood did an amazing job. He dragged us over the line - just.

Come on Mate, he got the best out of what he had, and without him we would be relegated!! some players stepped up, some did not!

Like you say we dont know what happened between Gil and Tim and the real truth might be wide of the suggested mark!

I think Sherwood did a fantastic Job keeping us up and maybe re-energising the Club and Fans! he deserves out faith and with the experience now behind him i think we are looking much better to cope!

Come on Mate, he got the best out of what he had, and without him we would be relegated!! some players stepped up, some did not!

Like you say we dont know what happened between Gil and Tim and the real truth might be wide of the suggested mark!

I think Sherwood did a fantastic Job keeping us up and maybe re-energising the Club and Fans! he deserves out faith and with the experience now behind him i think we are looking much better to cope!

We'll see.

Tactically, on more than one occasion, he was as wide of the mark as transfer rumours may prove to be.

Can't hail him as a messiah just yet. Deserves some credit and a chance but will take more than scraping survival and an embarrassment in the FA Cup final to get me excited about him.

Gil is better than some of the dross Sherwood persisted with.

Gil turned up with a great goal against a championship side. He often overplayed and lost the ball in dangerous areas. He didn't know when to play it simple and when to try and beat a man. Stoke showed him up for what he was. That isn't saying that he couldn't adapt to the premier league but I feel a lot of people a rating him a lot higher than they should be.

The season before, Marc Albrighton looked quality and should have been starting. The fact is that he ran around like a headless chicken for ten minutes yet it looked a lot better than we'd seen for the previous 80.

There's a reason he didn't play in the run in and the less experienced Grealish did.

It's too easy to say a 'bust up' and that all players should be unhappy about not playing but there is also a thing called professionalism. There's a time and place. If this bust up is true then Gil went about it the wrong way. Why doesn't he shut up and prove himself rather than cry about it? If he is as good as many make out then that should be easy enough.

I'm with Anne on this one.

Sherwood did well to keep us up but he also made lots of mistakes and after the initial new manager surge results got pretty bad again. He's never had to decide what players to buy before and how to set up the team for a full season. TBH the first game of the season is going to terrify me, loosing to Bournmouth could spell disaster for the whole season, in fact I'm so nervous about Sherwood I've put €10 on him not surviving the season, decent odds too.

I'm with Anne on this one.

Sherwood did well to keep us up but he also made lots of mistakes and after the initial new manager surge results got pretty bad again. He's never had to decide what players to buy before and how to set up the team for a full season. TBH the first game of the season is going to terrify me, loosing to Bournmouth could spell disaster for the whole season, in fact I'm so nervous about Sherwood I've put €10 on him not surviving the season, decent odds too.

Shame on you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gil turned up with a great goal against a championship side. He often overplayed and lost the ball in dangerous areas. He didn't know when to play it simple and when to try and beat a man. Stoke showed him up for what he was. That isn't saying that he couldn't adapt to the premier league but I feel a lot of people a rating him a lot higher than they should be.

The season before, Marc Albrighton looked quality and should have been starting. The fact is that he ran around like a headless chicken for ten minutes yet it looked a lot better than we'd seen for the previous 80.

There's a reason he didn't play in the run in and the less experienced Grealish did.

It's too easy to say a 'bust up' and that all players should be unhappy about not playing but there is also a thing called professionalism. There's a time and place. If this bust up is true then Gil went about it the wrong way. Why doesn't he shut up and prove himself rather than cry about it? If he is as good as many make out then that should be easy enough.

Its a good job Wenger has more forward thinking, his whole team would be frozen out with that mentality. A new, faster more physical league, playing against one of the most physical teams, he was always going to struggle. The lad should be given a chance.

Shame on you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe, but I've sick of suffering the pain of Villa being a mess so if it happens again this season at least there will be an up side for me.

Have to agree with Anne here mate.

In my humble opinion the problems we were having were mainly attributed to the club employing one of the worst managers we have ever had!

Sherwood then made several basic tactical changes that maybe even you or I would have executed. It certainly was no master stroke to get more service to Benteke with Cleverley running beyond him from midfield and indeed more bodies in the opposition's box.

You also have to remember that we finished one position above the trap door with some of our performances in the run in resembling that under Lambert.

Tactically Sherwood also got it badly wrong in the Cup Final when Reading had shown him how to play against Arsenal in the semi.

Jury is still out for me concerning Sherwood but present links in the transfer market look promising and most of Lambert's failed experiment is being shipped out which is a damn good start in the right direction.

Have to agree with Anne here mate.

In my humble opinion the problems we were having were mainly attributed to the club employing one of the worst managers we have ever had!

Sherwood then made several basic tactical changes that maybe even you or I would have executed. It certainly was no master stroke to get more service to Benteke with Cleverley running beyond him from midfield and indeed more bodies in the opposition's box.

You also have to remember that we finished one position above the trap door with some of our performances in the run in resembling that under Lambert.

Tactically Sherwood also got it badly wrong in the Cup Final when Reading had shown him how to play against Arsenal in the semi.

Jury is still out for me concerning Sherwood but present links in the transfer market look promising and most of Lambert's failed experiment is being shipped out which is a damn good start in the right direction.

most folks have the villa sun glasses on when talking about sherwood. to point out a few things that bothered me were his subs, the set up of the team had 1 trick, if that didnt work there was no plan B. the team only played through the center when we have 2 good wingers in gil and sinclair. offering vlaar an extension, publicly saying we have no power over benteke when it comes to the transfer market.....

hes a virgin manager in my eyes and we are in for alot of blunders aswell as probs alot of highs

edit: while lambert was no tactical genius, atleast he had a CV when he was picked as manager. we havent a clue whats in store with sherwood yet folks rate him like some sort of messiah

To be honest, the cup final is a game we shouldn't attribute to Sherwood, arsenal were unplayable and although we looked shite, no matter how well we'd played it wouldn't have made a jot of difference.

Sherwood has a lot to prove, don't get me wrong, but I wouldn't be writing is off just yet, we're making the right sounds in the transfer market IMO, and it's refreshing to see us looking at players with half a pedigree. First game of the season everyone has to be behind the whole team including Tim, as he had the toughest job in the league last year as side from Pearson, in motivating the group of players we had and he got the results we needed not necessarily all the results we wanted but gor our survival, which was what anyone would have asked for when he came in.

Think people need to remember where we are in this day and age not where we used to be. We're not going to be challenging for Europe in the immediate future, and I genuinely believe that we have the best man in place to do the job that needs to be done.

Its a good job Wenger has more forward thinking, his whole team would be frozen out with that mentality. A new, faster more physical league, playing against one of the most physical teams, he was always going to struggle. The lad should be given a chance.

I never said he shouldn't be given a chance; what I did say was I don't see why people rate him so highly after a handful of mediocre appearances and one good goal against a championship side.