FORUM IS CURRENTLY BEING UPGRADED, PLEASE BEAR WITH US. ×

Official: Delph Joins Man City

Loyalvillan

Some say if he was to go then you have to question the ambition of the club. What is the clubs ambition???? Somebody answer it!!!

For me the ambition is to retain premiership status long term. We have flirted with relegation for 3-4 years and that is not good enough for a club of this size, but let's not kid ourselves forest, Leeds to name but 2 who are equally big clubs in history who have never been able to get back into the premier league. I k ow they have had financial issues and touch wood that never happens to us, but let's face facts, we are probably in the bottom 6 clubs in the league at the min and we are not gonna go from 17th to 6th over night, small baby steps. We are still up for sale and as of yet no confirmed buyer, we hear talk of exclusivity and due diligence but this is all talk at present. So we are still under the custodianship of Randy Lerner who and probably rightly so is not willing to invest vast amounts of cash if there is to be no return when he sells, so for all we know sherwood could of been told that in order to buy the calibre of player he wants he will have to sell arguably our best assets if that means selling them for 35-40 million then so be it, who are we kidding can we offer them European football in the next couple of seasons, NO! Can we offer them the chance to win trophies, arguably NO, our only realistic hope is the league cup. These are 2 players In their primes who want to win trophies who are both internationals, and all we can offer them is guaranteed football and for players of that quality that just isn't good enough. So if clubs want to activate their clauses and they want to go then I say good luck to them because no matter what happens we are still ASTON VILLA and hear the lion roar!!!!

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

£10 million for him is pathetic. Once again we're selling one of our best in the team. Let's just face we're a supermarket for clubs.

Also Man City up to their plan of buying all the talent in the premier league and shoving them on the bench!

Agreed but if we didn't agree to that clause he could have gone for nothing .

2q9w86r.png35db988.png

I can't see him using this clause till after the euros , at moment he is a regular starter for England , if he goes to city and sits on bench he will really jeopardise that England shirt

I can't see him using this clause till after the euros , at moment he is a regular starter for England , if he goes to city and sits on bench he will really jeopardise that England shirt

And treble his pay in the process - time will tell, I have a feeling he may go to Liverpool or Spurs .

2q9w86r.png35db988.png

The reason Man city want him is because of the champions league rules, I imagine he'd start at least 20 premier league games, play in both domestic cups and he'd deffo be in the champions league squad due to rules and may even start and a nice tidy sum of 100k plus a week, he'd be foolish to turn it down.

Let's just say this rumoured clause is correct.

Delph has been part of a team which has battled relegation over the past three seasons. Just think about that. Now I'm not saying those relegation battles can be solely attributed to Delph but he has been an important cog in that team nevertheless considering his injuries of course.

He doesn't score many goals, he is not exactly a creator either and he does give the ball away in important areas of the pitch. He is also very one footed. Personally I feel he has stood out in our midfield only because it has been one of the poorest Aston Villa midfields in a very long time. Yes he has become an international player but presently England are suffering from a real dearth of quality all over the pitch.

In the present inflated transfer market for English players a valuation of 10m is low but if it does come to pass that he leaves us then Dembele is every bit as good as Delph and arguably would make us better through the middle.

Consequently if we do lose both Benteke and Delph for a sum of around 40m I sincerely believe given all of that to spend, Sherwood will make us a far stronger team.

The reason Man city want him is because of the champions league rules, I imagine he'd start at least 20 premier league games, play in both domestic cups and he'd deffo be in the champions league squad due to rules and may even start and a nice tidy sum of 100k plus a week, he'd be foolish to turn it down.

Could play more though at Liverpool or Spurs , play in Europe and still double his wages .

Depends how much he values his England place I guess .

2q9w86r.png35db988.png

Whatever happened to the days when people just wanted to play football. If Delph goes to Man City or Chelsea he will be a bit player or loaned out. He is really not that good. Take a look at some of his mistakes and tell me that is the what a quality player does. He stands out in a very ordinary AV team. Next season is the start again for us and TS is going to build us into a good PL team. This is not going to happen instantly but it will happen.

image.jpg

Delph has been part of a team which has battled relegation over the past three seasons. Just think about that. Now I'm not saying those relegation battles can be solely attributed to Delph but he has been an important cog in that team nevertheless considering his injuries of course.

He doesn't score many goals, he is not exactly a creator either and he does give the ball away in important areas of the pitch. He is also very one footed. Personally I feel he has stood out in our midfield only because it has been one of the poorest Aston Villa midfields in a very long time. Yes he has become an international player but presently England are suffering from a real dearth of quality all over the pitch.

In the present inflated transfer market for English players a valuation of 10m is low but if it does come to pass that he leaves us then Dembele is every bit as good as Delph and arguably would make us better through the middle.

Consequently if we do lose both Benteke and Delph for a sum of around 40m I sincerely believe given all of that to spend, Sherwood will make us a far stronger team.

Morph sometimes you speak with so much wisdom. I totally agree with you. Delph is not as good as some people make out. Bring in some new blood.

image.jpg

Could play more though at Liverpool or Spurs , play in Europe and still double his wages .

Depends how much he values his England place I guess .

I totally agree, there is probably 7-8 teams who will pay more than we will, I was just mearly stating about the man city scenario.

Absolutely sherwood would make is stronger for it, I think we'd miss benteke far more than Delph, Delph is an average midfielder at best who has one style of play whereas benteke is a top quality striker, not world class by any means but would get into most premier league teams as a starter.

Archived