Welcome to Aston Villa Forum - avillafan.com

Welcome to Aston Villa Forum - avillafan.com, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Aston Villa Forum - avillafan.com by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

avstu

Christian Benteke

u could say every team get lucky with players, i didnt move any goal posts btw, when u talked about promotion i assumed u meant players coming up through the ranks.....

anyways, u have over cooked this convo into who is right or wrong..... i still think what we are talking about is something completely different but sure i get a giggle from the posts. the fact of the matter is that top clubs more so buy established players than buy players that are a gamble. benteke was a risky buy as he wasnt well known to most and yes i would consider rare but i wouldnt say hes the only one.... our scouts dont scout ronaldo.... u know why?? cause we dont have the money. bigger financial teams look at another end of the market. thats why players like benteke sterling or anyone else that seems to be hinting for a bigger pay day get picked up when established.

u could say bony is an established PL player and with a price tag of 30m...... not that i dont think bony is good, i like him. but for the team city have?? impact sub and cup games i reckon

Not meaning to over cook the debate at all. Just very interested that from your posts you believe we could pick up another Benteke if we again look to the European leagues. Its not impossible of course and you may well be right that Sherwood has his eye on someone we don't know about like Lambert but my point is that to find two such players at a budget price is very rare indeed.

Just to clarify one other point. I realise that the top four tend to shop in Harrods rather than Tescos but most, if not all the top teams in Europe, have massive scouting networks looking for the next best thing irrespective of price. There's not a club in the world of football who wouldn't rather pay 7m for a player than 32m but to find someone of Benteke's quality for that amount is almost unique and that's why most of the bigger clubs pay big money for the finished article.

It's looking more likely now that Benteke will move so I do hope you are right and we do pick up another jem for a bargain price but at least we will have the money to buy someone more established if the former cannot be done?

I've enjoyed the debate over replacements for Benteke but there are a few issues with some of the arguments. I know it's taking a gamble looking for another 'gem' for a bargain price on the continent but I don't consider spending twice the money on someone like Austin to be a better option.

Austin isn't a gem, he's a rough as a bears arse typical English centre forward, a lot like Heskey, he'll do a job for a couple of year but he'll never improve and will ultimately prove disappointing. Heskey's move to Liverpool and his first full season there was the high point of his career and he kept moving on for smaller and smaller fees until we were stuck with him for 4 miserable years. I would view signing Austin in the same way as Liverpool signing Heskey, it'll be the high point in an average players career.

I've enjoyed the debate over replacements for Benteke but there are a few issues with some of the arguments. I know it's taking a gamble looking for another 'gem' for a bargain price on the continent but I don't consider spending twice the money on someone like Austin to be a better option.

Austin isn't a gem, he's a rough as a bears arse typical English centre forward, a lot like Heskey, he'll do a job for a couple of year but he'll never improve and will ultimately prove disappointing. Heskey's move to Liverpool and his first full season there was the high point of his career and he kept moving on for smaller and smaller fees until we were stuck with him for 4 miserable years. I would view signing Austin in the same way as Liverpool signing Heskey, it'll be the high point in an average players career.

Looks like he is off to Newcastle thank god!!

Sky Bet have suspended betting

According to Twitter plop have offered staggered payments which is common practice I suppose.

Don't know if someone was joking but saw 30 upfront 2.5 later, what difference is 2.5 in football really??

I hope benteke does a Delph an gets all those dole dossers hopes up and then like ha got ya,

I'm going to throw this out there and say I don't think he's going to go and that he will do what Delph did. And to quote a great Villa fan, "and that's all I gotta say about that".

From BBC rolling transfer news:

Liverpool have met the £32.5m release clause in Belgium international Christian Benteke's contract with Aston Villa and the striker appears set for a move to Anfield.

"I think they've already agreed terms so that won't be a problem, I think it's just formalities that need to be done. I'm told that the deal will be done before Monday," said Belgian journalist Kristoff Terruer.

"After three seasons battling against relegation he's ready for the next step. As there are European Championships coming round next summer with Belgium - and because he missed the 2014 World Cup - he wants to go to a club where he was certain he could play.

"So Liverpool manager Brendan Rogers has done everything he could to convince him to join them I guess."

Sounds like a done deal

That journo must be a total fucktard, writing that Benteke :

wants to go to a club where he was certain he could play.

Benteke is already at a Club where he is certain to play !!!

From BBC rolling transfer news:

Liverpool have met the £32.5m release clause in Belgium international Christian Benteke's contract with Aston Villa and the striker appears set for a move to Anfield.

"I think they've already agreed terms so that won't be a problem, I think it's just formalities that need to be done. I'm told that the deal will be done before Monday," said Belgian journalist Kristoff Terruer.

"After three seasons battling against relegation he's ready for the next step. As there are European Championships coming round next summer with Belgium - and because he missed the 2014 World Cup - he wants to go to a club where he was certain he could play.

"So Liverpool manager Brendan Rogers has done everything he could to convince him to join them I guess."

Sounds like a done deal

I know a club he could play at week in week out..