Welcome to Aston Villa Forum - avillafan.com

Welcome to Aston Villa Forum - avillafan.com, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Aston Villa Forum - avillafan.com by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Eastie

Ireland

Guest Morpheus

Belfast is a place I love and always have but it's a whole new world now. The hospitality is second to none, great food and plenty to do. Anyone going that far has to see the Giant's Causeway and surrounding areas. I am well travelled and you'd be hard pushed to beat the scenery. I would recommend the Radisson by the old gasworks or the Fitzwilliam. Have stayed in both numerous times.

People misunderstand a lot of things about the troubles in general. People seem to think catholics and protestants hate one another, which isn't the case and never was.

I consider myself very fortunate to have had very open-minded parents and to have lived in a mixed community. As in England, very few in Northern Ireland give a monkey's about what religion you are.

The level of misunderstanding in England, even now, astounds me.

As a teenager, I couldn't wait to leave Northern Ireland. I don't regret doing so for a second because it can be quite insular but now I cannot wait to go back permanently.

My best friends are protestants Anne and all salt of the earth. We can even give each other stick about the other's religion which is always good natured and indeed most of the population of Northern Ireland are like that.

Furthermore my family and I were part of a social housing experiment at the height of the troubles in 1973 bringing both communities to live together in one housing estate and it worked because the people who were housed there didn't give a toss about politics or which colour of flag you flew at certain times of the year. There was no such thing as celebrated culture just people getting on with their lives and that's the way it should always be.

Good to hear that you are contemplating coming back again sometime. :)

My best friends are protestants Anne and all salt of the earth. We can even give each other stick about the other's religion which is always good natured and indeed most of the population of Northern Ireland are like that.

Furthermore my family and I were part of a social housing experiment at the height of the troubles in 1973 bringing both communities to live together in one housing estate and it worked because the people who were housed there didn't give a toss about politics or which colour of flag you flew at certain times of the year. There was no such thing as celebrated culture just people getting on with their lives and that's the way it should always be.

Good to hear that you are contemplating coming back again sometime. :)

Apart from a select few binlids, most people are like that at home, to be fair.

Someone at work asked me why I wasn't having a church wedding. I explained that apart from a few other things neither of us are religious and D is a Protestant anyhow. She said she thought we hated one another then, in all seriousness, said that all she knew of the situation in Northern Ireland was what she had read at school in 'Across the Barricades'. I couldn't stop laughing.

Guest Morpheus

Sweet Jesus. :rolleyes:

I think you've actually hit the nail on the head. Misinformation or just an ignorance of what the people are really like in Northern Ireland which has contributed to the mentality I found on holiday.

Again on a brighter note a few golfing buddies and I were ready to tee off for a round at Royal Portrush when behind us we could hear an American couple exclaim 'it's always so green here Harry!' One of my mates who wasn't in a good mood stated under his breath 'that's because it f**king rains here all the time.' :lol:

However when you get the weather you'd be hard pushed to get better scenery anywhere else.

def is a beautiful place. For quite a few guys over at the Lions Doo in Carrickfergus last year, it was their first time in Northern Ireland, and they couldn't believe how nice it was. They said they were expecting it to be a tip, but were pleasantly surprised. I think they expected everyone to live in farmyards and have leprechauns at the bottom of the garden! Quite a few didn't go because they all thought everyone hated the English over here lol.

Are you looking to move back Anne or just wishful thinking?

We will be moving back sooner rather than later, Eastie.

D doesn't like London life very much and I tired of it years ago. Overall, it's much more practical for us to be there than here.

Only problem is there's no work for teachers and I do love my job.

We will be moving back sooner rather than later, Eastie.

D doesn't like London life very much and I tired of it years ago. Overall, it's much more practical for us to be there than here.

Only problem is there's no work for teachers and I do love my job.

You need to apply at that school thats adopted The Villa Anne.

Never been to Ireland but its on the to do list, never met an Irishman i didn't get on with, though the bloody women are a nightmare :whistling:

I'm a lover of Galway city, music on the streets and everywhere in walking distance, race week can be good but gets very busy

I'm a lover of Galway city, music on the streets and everywhere in walking distance, race week can be good but gets very busy

Have always found the people in Galway to be much less friendly than elsewhere.

Certainly not in the city centre

but the impression I got from walking down the falls road and shankhill road

Belfast is still a divided city

Certainly not in the city centre

but the impression I got from walking down the falls road and shankhill road

Belfast is still a divided city

All that's kept to draw the tourists in.

The Belshafties aren't as slow as they walk easy.

Been to Eire many times mainly as a child to see family in Kilbannan Co Galway, beautiful country without a doubt.

I do find the Northern Irish very aggressive and angry for my liking

Been to Eire many times mainly as a child to see family in Kilbannan Co Galway, beautiful country without a doubt.

I do find the Northern Irish very aggressive and angry for my liking

You wan some?

Ill knock your ballix in Michael :whistling:

Case and point!!

M'lud, the prosecution rests!! lol

Nothing but love for you Man!!

Bate lumps out of him, our fella.

Don't call him Michael ffs

You ain't seen him when he is angry

:angry:

[quote name="SofaSupporter" post="308427"

edit: in about an hour im going to the giants causeway, well im taking the missus up there, she can stay up there while im in the bushmills distillery lol