Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

avstu

Aston Villa 0 Swansea City 1

Apollo    159

I was at a non league game yesterday, religiously checking the score on my phone. Gutted to see us lose it so late as a draw wouldn't have been bad. Just watch Motd highlights and they had quite a few chances against us yesterday.

AnneMc    265

Sherwood can bemoan our bad luck all he wants but he should really have sent Westy on for Cleverley rather than Sanchez.

We go again.

Eastie    128

Sherwood can bemoan our bad luck all he wants but he should really have sent Westy on for Cleverley rather than Sanchez.

We go again.

I thought the same although sanchez did better than I expected .

Seems westwood and gil have not impressed him much .

Yesterday was simply what it was. Sometimes we look for the big reason for a loss, someone to blame like a player or a ref, or even a subdued atmosphere at Villa Park, we were simply beat in a fair contest by a better passing team. I didn't think we deserved to lose the game and a draw would of felt right at the final whistle. In Tim Sherwood style we pressed to win the game and got taken on the break, something that Lambert never exposed us too because he was too scared too, that is most definitely not a pro-Lambert statement before anyone goes into a keyboard rage! I'm glad that we have that passion to want to win games.

As performances go we weren't awful, the substitution were a bit weird and there's still questions over Bacuna's position in the starting XI. We can't read too much into the Sunderland game because they were simply falling apart around our ears and we took the opportunity with gusto. However, Bacuna in the RB position against a team willing to run at you, and pass around you, will be exposed and I can't help but think Lowton would be the more fitting player in this role. Did Bacuna have a shocker? no I don't believe he did, he is out of position and the only thing I would blame him for would be the fact he didn't even clear the wall with a promising free kick position near the end of the game, that for any professional footballer is shocking.

We had our chances yesterday and by the far the most notable would be Sinclair's handful of missed opportunities, the real disappointment was we failed to really test the keeper despite the fact we got the ball into the box plenty of times. If this was a Lambert performance it would be marked as a slight improvement; as a Sherwood performance it is simple a loss against a slightly better side, due to the fact we didn't take the chances we'd created.

The stand out player for me was once again Clarke, spent a bit of time watching him yesterday off the ball and he's constantly organising, talking and watching over his shoulders, he is turning into a good CB and a future captain.

Anyway onwards, no point being suicidal over yesterday....nothing changed at the bottom so it's just one game closer to a crunch match with Burnley on the last day. This is the one massive thing we need to avoid!

Eastie    128

I'd play Lowton at left back and hutton right back when Lowton is fit - bacuna has good delivery but is too easily caught out of position at right back - yesterday I don't think sherwood had any choice with lowton injured too.

Shame we didn't put recall options on bennett, gardner and bent as all three are doing the business elsewhere while our squad is threadbare.

LIN. i thought bacuna had no cover and that is why he was left so exposed. i agree hes not great at RB but on his own v usain bolt dressed up as montero is a push for any type of defender. think its meant to be sinclair tracking back to help him but i could be mistaken

would love to have montero in our squad

Guest Morpheus   
Guest Morpheus

I thought the same although sanchez did better than I expected .

Seems westwood and gil have not impressed him much .

Eastie he might think that they are too lightweight in stature to get us over the line with the battles ahead?

AnneMc    265

Eastie he might think that they are too lightweight in stature to get us over the line with the battles ahead?

I hope he doesn't alienate either of them. Think Gil has a lot to offer us and he deserves a proper chance. Westwood has been great, although he has his limitations.

Rawly1966    167

Yesterday was simply what it was. Sometimes we look for the big reason for a loss, someone to blame like a player or a ref, or even a subdued atmosphere at Villa Park, we were simply beat in a fair contest by a better passing team. I didn't think we deserved to lose the game and a draw would of felt right at the final whistle. In Tim Sherwood style we pressed to win the game and got taken on the break, something that Lambert never exposed us too because he was too scared too, that is most definitely not a pro-Lambert statement before anyone goes into a keyboard rage! I'm glad that we have that passion to want to win games.

As performances go we weren't awful, the substitution were a bit weird and there's still questions over Bacuna's position in the starting XI. We can't read too much into the Sunderland game because they were simply falling apart around our ears and we took the opportunity with gusto. However, Bacuna in the RB position against a team willing to run at you, and pass around you, will be exposed and I can't help but think Lowton would be the more fitting player in this role. Did Bacuna have a shocker? no I don't believe he did, he is out of position and the only thing I would blame him for would be the fact he didn't even clear the wall with a promising free kick position near the end of the game, that for any professional footballer is shocking.

We had our chances yesterday and by the far the most notable would be Sinclair's handful of missed opportunities, the real disappointment was we failed to really test the keeper despite the fact we got the ball into the box plenty of times. If this was a Lambert performance it would be marked as a slight improvement; as a Sherwood performance it is simple a loss against a slightly better side, due to the fact we didn't take the chances we'd created.

The stand out player for me was once again Clarke, spent a bit of time watching him yesterday off the ball and he's constantly organising, talking and watching over his shoulders, he is turning into a good CB and a future captain.

Anyway onwards, no point being suicidal over yesterday....nothing changed at the bottom so it's just one game closer to a crunch match with Burnley on the last day. This is the one massive thing we need to avoid!

Clarke at fault for goal

Eastie    128

thought if anyone was at fault for the goal it was bacuna being caught out of position - clark had a great game.

Rawly1966    167

thought if anyone was at fault for the goal it was bacuna being caught out of position - clark had a great game.

Of course ,, I'm not an expert lol .

Loyalvillan    584

it was one of Clarks few mistakes yesterday, but Gomis out muscled him!

is difficult for a defender in that position, if he sticks a leg out he could have scored an own goal

AnneMc    265

it was one of Clarks few mistakes yesterday, but Gomis out muscled him!

is difficult for a defender in that position, if he sticks a leg out he could have scored an own goal

Plus he was desperate to avoid a booking.

robb    5

Plus he was desperate to avoid a booking.

Good point...now does Sherlock rest him for the annual MANU stuffing and play him in the QPR 6 POINTER?

The other results went for us....again. We can't rely on that from now on though.

Bacuna was desperately exposed on the right side, why not switch him and Hutton at half time. Also it was obvious the midfield would get over-run by swansea's passing game....we just did not react quick enough, as against Stoke we were pretty ordinary...at best.

robb    5

yup con I saw the sign "till Spring 2016" gulp man that's at least 12 more months!!! thought I saw somewhere that the concrete has been found to be rotting once the top layer was removed!!oh dear !!

had 2 passengers today so could,nt do my usual 400 metre sprint,leaving folk in my wake!! and one got lost coming out a carzee in the Lower Holte!!and then they both wanted blinking burgers!!!!!never mind the foot long porkers before kick off--have to say they wuz tasty!!!

Think we'll have won another 3 home games by then??

Larry-AV    83

Per the BBC match report, the Attendance was 35,598 and not the 33,000 figure previously cited.

Eastie has used the 35,598 figure in the attendance prediction league.

Patrick    170

Per the BBC match report, the Attendance was 35,598 and not the 33,000 figure previously cited.

Eastie has used the 35,598 figure in the attendance prediction league.

yeah it was funny saturday how they never announced what the attendance was

quite often its done just after we have gone one nil down

another thing

i might be wrong but i dont think the sponsors man of the match was announced either

maybe the microphone was playing up

AnneMc    265

Acorns sponsored MOTM and it was Delph.

It was announced.

Patrick    170

Acorns sponsored MOTM and it was Delph.

It was announced.

oh right ,,thank you