FORUM IS CURRENTLY BEING UPGRADED, PLEASE BEAR WITH US. ×

Shame On Celtic Fans

Loyalvillan

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At no point did I say all Celtic fans mate, I have family who support Celtic and they would always observe the minutes silence.

no worries i stayed silent when i seen it on the box & as i said i wish we did stay silent away days does bring out the more hardcore element,up here politics & religion plays a massive part in football rightly or wrongly you cant switch it off

anyhow for what its worth we have lost players during the war & have always donated for the past 5 yrs or so

559f011fede56f81a735c330ae124089.png

CELTIC FC Foundation have made a £10,000 donation to Poppyscotland, and in particular to the charity’s education project, ‘Sowing the poppy seed’, which is running throughout 2014/15.

And making the presentation on behalf of the club were three grandchildren of Celtic legend, Peter Johnstone.

He played for the club between 1908-17, making a total of 233 appearances and scoring 19 goals, before he joined up in 1916 during the First World War. Tragically, Peter lost his life at the Battle of Arras in 1917.

Three of his six grandchildren, Leonard and Edward Frew, and Morag Szulc, were at the Lennoxtown Training Centre today (Thursday) to present the cheque to Poppyscotland along with current Hoops striker, John Guidetti.

Leonard Frew told the official Celtic website: “Obviously we didn’t know our grandfather, but from reading about him, it’s great that we had a relation who played for Celtic, as well as someone who fought in the First World War.

“He was determined to serve his country in the war and he actually changed regiments so that he would be able to go to the front. We’re very proud of all his achievements.”

And Edward Frew said: “Our grandfather was part of the famous six-in-a-row success that Celtic had but, of course, his life was cut short by the war, as it was for so many young men, and it’s sad that we never got a chance to know him.

“We always had medals of my grandfather’s, but my mother (Helen) didn’t really speak much about the war and what had happened to him. She was only six when he died in 1917.”

A dedication to Peter Johnstone’s memory is inscribed on Bay 8 of the Arras Memorial in the Fauborg d'Amiens Cemetery, while a memorial garden in his honour is being planned in Fife by Celtic supporters in the local community.

The £10,000 donation from Celtic FC Foundation will support ‘Sowing the poppy seed’, an education project which aims to deliver an education programme for 3-18 year olds which explores the themes of the poppy, remembrance and veterans.

The project falls under Celtic FC Foundation’s Equality and Learning priority areas as part of HELP (Health, Equality, Learning and Poverty).

m2ThHd1o-KvVhMbtbmLiE8Q.jpg

controversial_dimitri.png

Well done Celtic, that gets a plus one from me mate.

This sort of thing shows that a Celtic FC and it's directors will rise above any bigots who choose to follow them.

image.png

Championeeeeee Championeeeee Olee Oleee Oleeeee

You need people like me so people like you can point your fcuking fingers and say there's the bad guy

Well done Celtic, that gets a plus one from me mate.

This sort of thing shows that a Celtic FC and it's directors will rise above any bigots who choose to follow them.

tbf i dont think they are bigots because they boo'd if someone lost a loved one i can see why they would boo,someone having political beliefs is not a bigot

no offence Dimitri, but have you been on the end of it? or have you just read about it? there is a difference,

i wasnt alive during the ww but i would have proudly fought for my country,...and yes i have, ive had physical & verbal secterian attacks living in the west of scotland i know more than you think roger, trust me

All sides in all wars lose lives weather it be WW1 the Falklands , Iraq or the troubles in Ireland where innocent lives were taken by both the police and all the various factions. There has to come a time where we have to forgive our enemies and we have to be forgiven.

Any symbol of peace should be respected.

( I think some people are happy to live in the past )

You can't see the eyes of the demon......'till him come callin'

All sides in all wars lose lives weather it be WW1 the Falklands , Iraq or the troubles in Ireland where innocent lives were taken by both the police and all the various factions. There has to come a time where we have to forgive our enemies and we have to be forgiven.

Any symbol of peace should be respected.

( I think some people are happy to live in the past )

good post mate,...and yer right about yer last comment even i can be guilty of this & where i live

Archived