Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Superman

Ron Vlaar

418 posts in this topic

I've always said he's good, our defence has been bad but my god was it blindingly obvious that he's vital when he was out.

Statistically were a lot better with him in the team.

If I'm honest I can see Lambert keeping him and reverting to 532 after seeing his. performances in the world cup. and judging by his signings so far...

6M does nothing for us. Vlaar leaving could sink us.

I dont agree with that, Vlaar was nothing special for us last season, he made loads of mistakes and got caught out. Whats right for Aston Villa is what counts, players come and players go, thats life.

Let's worry about next season at the end of this one, we need to be in the Prem next season as our first goal. We haven't exactly sent a shudder through the top half of the table for a while so I'd much rather keep any quality we can so the team can achieve its best result possible. If guys like Vlaar help us achieve a finishing position two or three spots higher on the ladder then we've lost very little to nothing by not cashing him in because we'll recoup it anyway.

In the current market and after a very good world cup, £6m is much to cheap,I would start £10m at least.I would have no hesitation in letting him go, after last seasons performance, he does nothing for me.I honestly think we wouldnt miss him.People are saying we played better with him in the side,I couldnt see the difference when he played..

In the current market and after a very good world cup, £6m is much to cheap,I would start £10m at least.I would have no hesitation in letting him go, after last seasons performance, he does nothing for me.I honestly think we wouldnt miss him.People are saying we played better with him in the side,I couldnt see the difference when he played..
You might see the difference when he has some class beside him too.. Right now he has to cover for the whole defence.

Not sure who you were watching if you couldn't see a difference between a defense with Vlaar and one with Baker/Clark.......but to each his own.

Take it you didn't watch any Villa games that Vlaar missed last season then?

People seem to be missing the point, the reason why its £6m is because he has one year to run, simple.

People seem to be missing the point, the reason why its £6m is because he has one year to run, simple.

Not worth selling for £6m though, £6m is irrelevant if we get relegated, and without Roncrete that's a real possibility!!

I know this is ifs and buts but if we had signed lescott would more people be ok with vlaar going? I just think if he is sold 6m is not worth the hassle of trying to rearrange a defence he knows well and would put us in a precarious situation. 6 mil is not a lot but he does have one year left if he didn't it would be ten easily.

I know this is ifs and buts but if we had signed lescott would more people be ok with vlaar going? I just think if he is sold 6m is not worth the hassle of trying to rearrange a defence he knows well and would put us in a precarious situation. 6 mil is not a lot but he does have one year left if he didn't it would be ten easily.

Someone posted an infographic comparing Vlaar's WC to David Luiz's the other day, whether you saw it or not.. But Vlaar was almost twice as good as Luiz in every category!!

Therefore more >1 year on contract £100m

<1 year on contract atleast £50m

I Joke!! We'd be stupid to sell though!

give me vlaar anyday over lescott who i also rate btw

Get a little bit "head against a wall" when people say let him go.

I'm not suggesting he's a great player, world class or even in the top 5 central defenders in the league but we're more stable with him in the side. He made some mistakes last year, a few right in front of my eyes but he was surrounded by others who struggled most of the year too. I think if he can establish a good long term relationship with another central defender and have some output into a good CM he will regain his confidence. He had a good world cup, he got away with a few rash tackles but he didn't let himself down. to be honest, even with the penalty.

If the club sell him it will be a clear indication to our future aspirations.

Get a little bit "head against a wall" when people say let him go.

I'm not suggesting he's a great player, world class or even in the top 5 central defenders in the league but we're more stable with him in the side. He made some mistakes last year, a few right in front of my eyes but he was surrounded by others who struggled most of the year too. I think if he can establish a good long term relationship with another central defender and have some output into a good CM he will regain his confidence. He had a good world cup, he got away with a few rash tackles but he didn't let himself down. to be honest, even with the penalty.

If the club sell him it will be a clear indication to our future aspirations.

id rate vlaar in the top5 in the league

Last season without Vlaar we averaged conceded 2 goals per game

id rate vlaar in the top5 in the league

Kompany, Mertesacker, Terry, Cahill, Lovren, Vertonghen, Koscielny are all better then Vlaar. Bound to be a few more. Good player but for us he is vital. Must keep him this season minimum

Kompany, Mertesacker, Terry, Cahill, Lovren, Vertonghen, Koscielny are all better then Vlaar. Bound to be a few more. Good player but for us he is vital. Must keep him this season minimum

Vertonghen and Mertesacker i would argue with there mate

i disagree with those

Vertonghen and Mertesacker i would argue with there mate

Mertesacker last year was class, Vertonghen when played CB is a beast. I think Vlaar is a good player but never in the top 5 of the prem league

i disagree with those

Everyone has there opinion, for me they are better then Vlaar mate

Mertesacker last year was class, Vertonghen when played CB is a beast. I think Vlaar is a good player but never in the top 5 of the prem league

you just have to take into account who he is playing with! would anyone of the players you listed stand out in a Villa defence last year? i dont think so.

Many times i see Vlaar being blamed for poor positioning when in fact he was trying to cover players who were out of position or just not paying attention, this MUST be taken in to account!

Everyone has there opinion, for me they are better then Vlaar mate

fair enough each to their own but villa fans are lucky to have such a good underated CB at the club who imo could get a game for any top4 club...id gladly take him off yer hands for celtic to play alongside big van dijk

you just have to take into account who he is playing with! would anyone of the players you listed stand out in a Villa defence last year? i dont think so.

Many times i see Vlaar being blamed for poor positioning when in fact he was trying to cover players who were out of position or just not paying attention, this MUST be taken in to account!

Mertesacker doesnt exactly have brilliant full backs or a good DM to help him, imo he was one of the best CB's in the league last year

Vlaar like i said is a good player but if i had the choice, i would choose one of the lads i listed to Vlaar for the Villa team

fair enough each to their own but villa fans are lucky to have such a good underated CB at the club who imo could get a game for any top4 club...id gladly take him off yer hands for celtic to play alongside big van dijk

He looks a good prospect, think his time at Celtic is running out if he keeps performing, wouldnt mind him at Villa

He looks a good prospect, think his time at Celtic is running out if he keeps performing, wouldnt mind him at Villa

hes dutch aswell mate lol,..him & vlaar would be some central pair :thumbup: