Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Superman

Ron Vlaar

418 posts in this topic

I would not be surprised if retires i doubt anyone will take a chance on him and if they do it will pay as you play and to think villa where going to offer him a new contract i think the club dodged a bullet there

we need to withdraw our offer to him now before he has no other options

I think if he does not find a new club we should offer him a new deal...,, to bring the oranges on at half time.

we need to withdraw our offer to him now before he has no other options

I would of assumed that it would of expired when his contract ran out

His profile is no longer part of the squad overview on the OS. Chris Herd's is still there, his contract run out, too, but he is to be given a chance in pre season once fit.

That's the only "official" bit I could find indicating he is gone.

More to the point.

Will you be changing your forum name?

I would of assumed that it would of expired when his contract ran out

i suppose it depends if it was an extension or a new contract? as i understood it the contract offer was a new one! i maybe wrong

Out for 6 months

He should retire.

Expected to join Holby City this week...

Expected to join Holby City this week...

Brilliant!

I wonder if this could spell the end of Vlaars top flight career! 31 now and out for half a season without a club! even when fit from this he still has his re-occurring calf injury and coming back from such a major operation with all his other fitness issues means he might be lucky to play by April!!

He seems very fragile and not many clubs will take a change on him but may offer a 1 year deal or something!

how many games has he missed on the last 2 seasons due to injury? Larry i need you mate!

I wonder if this could spell the end of Vlaars top flight career! 31 now and out for half a season without a club! even when fit from this he still has his re-occurring calf injury and coming back from such a major operation with all his other fitness issues means he might be lucky to play by April!!

He seems very fragile and not many clubs will take a change on him but may offer a 1 year deal or something!

how many games has he missed on the last 2 seasons due to injury? Larry i need you mate!

fergie said the same about Paul McGrath before he joined Villa

I don't like Ron Vlaar and the way he messed AV around but I think it's sad that this might end his career. Karma is a real b**tard sometimes.

JUST a week or two back, ex-Aston Villa skipper Ron Vlaar seemed to be on the brink of a move to Manchester United after walking away from Villa Park at the end of his contract - now he's at the crossroads after being left clubless and undergoing knee surgery that will sideline him for at least four months.

The chances of Holland international Vlaar playing again in 2015 are slim and he has confessed to wiping away the tears when the extent of his latest injury setback was revealed.

Vlaar, 30, stalled on several offers when he quit Villa but now finds himself without a club - and without a deal - as he contemplates rehab following surgery on a complicated medial ligament injury.

Vlaar decided against a new Villa agreement and he had been linked with Manchester United, while there was interest from Southampton and Sunderland - all three Premier clubs managed by fellow Dutchmen. He had hoped his old international boss Louis van Gaal would offer the chance to join him at Old Trafford, but that option wasn’t offered.

Vlaar (pictured with LVG above) spent last summer helping Van Gaal's Holland finish third at the World Cup in Brazil. But he had ligament trouble at the turn of the year and returned to action with Villa within a month. Now the same injury has recurred - a recent MRI scan showed that he was again suffering from a torn medial meniscus.

He said: “I went in for a small repair on my knee. It turned out that the recovery will not take three weeks but possibly four months.

"I am gutted, I really am - I had to wipe the tears away and still do. But I will come back as strong as before. My career is far from over.”

When Vlaar went under the knife in Rotterdam last Wednesday, surgeons discovered his ligament was rolled back towards the rear of his knee joint.

He now faces four to six weeks on crutches before three to four months of rehabilitation. He added: “I have been here before. My body is strong and it can take a lot.

"I am going to get super-fit with so much determination inside me. I will even get back into the Netherlands national team.”

fergie said the same about Paul McGrath before he joined Villa

valid point

valid point

Not sure Ron will recover from this setback, knees dont get better after repeated injury at 30+ year old. looks like greed may have cost him this time.