FORUM IS CURRENTLY BEING UPGRADED, PLEASE BEAR WITH US. ×

Scottish Football Thread 2014/15

Loyalvillan

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ALESSANDRO DEL PIERO wants to sign for Celtic — two years after missing out on a Hoops deal.

The Juventus legend was targeted by Neil Lennon in 2012 but talks stalled and he joined Sydney FC.

But del Piero said: “Two years ago it was interesting and it would be interesting again. If we could talk then great. If you want I’ll give you my phone number and you can pass it on!

“Celtic are a great team and I have always enjoyed playing in Scotland, so who knows?

“I know the league has changed with Rangers not being there, but they will be back soon enough.

“Celtic are also a club that could be in the group stage of the Champions League which is good.

“Sometimes to get there you just need a little bit of luck. Or experience.”

Veteran del Piero, 39, was a wanted man in 2012 when it became known he was on his way out of Juventus after 19 years.

Celtic were interested, but after talks Hoops chiefs decided not to table an offer with the Italian legend moving to Australia to join Sydney.

Del Piero added: “We were in contact with Celtic, but it didn’t come to anything.

“They weren’t sure about which choice to make, I think they only had one spot left in their squad. But I was very interested in going to Scotland.

“Nothing happened, we talked but in the end I decided to go to Sydney.

“It never got to the stage where Celtic offered me a contract. It was unfortunate because I was very interested.

“I had lots of clubs interested in signing me at that time and one of them was Celtic.

“Had it reached the stage where they wanted me to go and see them to get something done, then I would have probably said yes.

“We could have sat down and talked about what was the best for Celtic and what was the best for me, but it didn’t arrive at that stage.

“My brother spoke for me and at the end we said thank you for your interest and then I went to Australia.

“I loved my time in Sydney, we broke a lot of record in terms of crowds and in terms of merchandise at Sydney. It was a good lifestyle also.

“But I would have been very happy if I had have gone to Celtic. That’s true.”

Now Hoops boss Ronny Deila must decide if he wants to give del Piero the chance to end his career in the Hoops.
Quote:
ALMOST 20 years with the same Old Lady.
But since leaving her Alessandro del Piero has felt like a new man.

He is 39 now, his best days behind him.

The Italian legend insists he’s got the energy for one final fling.

Juventus was his marriage made in heaven, for nearly two decades they were inseparable. That’s history, his two-year rebound move to Sydney, Australia also a thing in the past.

With del Piero on the look-out for new love he wonders if he might just find it in Scotland... with Celtic.

The 2006 World Cup winner is available and has urged the Premiership champs to give him a call while there’s still time.

Del Piero told SunSport: “In my mind it’s clear, I want to play for one more year. I have the heart and legs for another good season.

“I’m here in Brazil working for TV, but I’ve been watching the games wishing I was out there on the pitch.

“That tells me I’m not finished yet. I’m 39 now so I know I cannot make any long-term plans, it’s something I can only decide year by year.

“But I’m feeling good in my heart, legs and mind. I am finished with Sydney so now I’ll wait and see what happens.”

Del Piero won’t be rushed into whatever will happen next, and has happy memories of playing in Glasgow.

He scored for Juve as they hammered Rangers 4-0 in 1995. Dep Piero was also on target against Celtic in 2001 on the night the Hoops won a Champions League classic 4-3. Del Piero recalled: “Some of my best memories are from games in Scotland. It’s true. I played against Rangers and Celtic, two wonderful clubs, and I was fortunate enough to score against them both.

“I know everyone says it, but the atmosphere inside those stadiums is special.

“I just loved to play there because the fans made it feel so hot. The thing is the people of Scotland live for football, but in the right way.

“It feels hot with everyone shouting for the home team, but you don’t feel threatened. No one is fighting so when I think back I have good memories.

“I scored at Ibrox and Celtic Park so that makes me happy, it’s perfect! My free-kick against Celtic, I remember, was lovely. It went in at the keeper’s near post. My hand was broken at that time, I had a big bandage, and we were wearing a black jersey which was unusual for Juventus. It sticks in my mind as a good goal in a big game.”

Del Piero, in Brazil for Italian TV, would love to see Celtic back in the Champions League group stages this season.

He knows it’s not easy for the Hoops with three rounds of qualifiers ahead of them — something he insists UEFA have got wrong. With belief, like Costa Rica had at this World Cup, del Piero believes anything is possible.

He added: “Celtic are a great team and I hope they can get into the Champions League because they bring a lot. They have quality and the games at their stadium are always special. No matter who is playing it seems the stadium’s full.

“I hope for the Celtic fans they will do it, but it’s not easy for them with the amount of qualifiers they have to play.

“I don’t know the rules, but it seems too many to me for a club like Celtic.

“I just hope they make it, and then make the next step by reaching the knock-out stages. That’s got to be their target. In football you need to dream of doing something special. At the World Cup there are many examples of players and teams fulfilling their dreams.

“The biggest one was Costa Rica. Everything they did was amazing. The keeper and defence didn’t concede any goals from open play.

“That is amazing and it got them to the quarter-finals.

“It started as a dream and it got them to the last eight of the World Cup. Countries like Scotland can take encouragement from Costa Rica. You can work for this.

“I understand it’s not easy for Scottish clubs to make an impact in the Champions League, like it’s not easy for the national team, because it’s been the same in Italy since 2006.

“This is the second World Cup since we won it that we have not made it through the group stage.

“There has been no improvement in my country, so I can understand if there’s been no improvement in Scotland — whether it’s the national team, Rangers, Celtic or even Dundee.

“My way of thinking is all the teams in the league have to move forward with the national federation because other countries — like Costa Rica — are moving forward fast.

“Hopefully we will meet again at the next World Cup and Scotland will be there.”

m2ThHd1o-KvVhMbtbmLiE8Q.jpg

controversial_dimitri.png

Rangers’ season will start at home to Hibernian after their Scottish Challenge Cup tie was scheduled for Tuesday, August 5.
The first round game between the two clubs will start at 7.35pm, with the match being shown live on BBC Alba.
Every other fixture in the opening round will take place on Saturday, July 26 with the exception of Queen’s Park’s home clash with Berwick, which take place the day before.

Rangers FC - Hibs Cup Date Set - 05/08/2014

AVFC RFC SAFC

Rangers’ season will start at home to Hibernian after their Scottish Challenge Cup tie was scheduled for Tuesday, August 5.

The first round game between the two clubs will start at 7.35pm, with the match being shown live on BBC Alba.

Every other fixture in the opening round will take place on Saturday, July 26 with the exception of Queen’s Park’s home clash with Berwick, which take place the day before.

Rangers FC - Hibs Cup Date Set - 05/08/2014

wheres it getting played?

m2ThHd1o-KvVhMbtbmLiE8Q.jpg

controversial_dimitri.png

Archived