FORUM IS CURRENTLY BEING UPGRADED, PLEASE BEAR WITH US. ×

January Transfer Thread

JavvieSmalls

If you believe the figures bandied about ( lambert reckoned it was way less ) then we have a net spend of about £30m in two years for 16 new players and no doubt the attraction of every single one of them was low wages.

That for me is not much of an investment at a club who with the new TV deal in place will turn over about £120m a year.

We were a well run club, Lerner was the one in charge who made a pigs ear of the finances and we don't need him to stick his hand in his pocket......just let the club spend some of what it earns.

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Done

You don't know this though do you? All we know is the purse strings have been tightened. You said the other day that you know he's looking for a buyer so surely it would make sense that he wants to sp

It's not the outlay on transfers that's the problem. Lerner knows of he pays £1m on 17 players he knows he'll probably make that money back when they're sold. Wages are money down the drain unless you

Ok so lets play a law of averages, McLeish spent how much on how many players? 5 max? lambert has bought practically an entire team. Last year the squad overall wasn't good enough OR big enough, so we went and bought more squad players. So yes, in order to improve we do need to invest. In quality. Not more squad players. Next year we'll be running sheer profit after the new tv money comes in. If we continue just spending 20 million here and there then what is the point? We wont get better, we'll at worst stay standing. And teams like Southampton, Swansea, Stoke, Newcastle and hell even QPR eventually, will continue growing and get better. We are Aston f**cking Villa ffs. We shouldn't be aspiring for mid f**cking table.

mzjj.jpg

In the year AM was here we made £20m more than we spent in the market.......which gives us a net spend in the last 3 years of about £10m.

Turnover during that period is close to £300m.

I don't think it unreasonable for Villa fans to demand some money be spent.

Ok so lets play a law of averages, McLeish spent how much on how many players? 5 max? lambert has bought practically an entire team. Last year the squad overall wasn't good enough OR big enough, so we went and bought more squad players. So yes, in order to improve we do need to invest. In quality. Not more squad players. Next year we'll be running sheer profit after the new tv money comes in. If we continue just spending 20 million here and there then what is the point? We wont get better, we'll at worst stay standing. And teams like Southampton, Swansea, Stoke, Newcastle and hell even QPR eventually, will continue growing and get better. We are Aston f**cking Villa ffs. We shouldn't be aspiring for mid f**cking table.
well said Rich. Totally agree. Frustrating isn't it when others dont see it!

newcomer.gif

"Look at the Holte End, listen to the Holte End"

Gary Mowbray BBC MOTD Aston Villa 1 - Chelsea 0

Saturday 15th March 2014

14186800904_ee18449a69_o.jpg

and lets look at what we have brought: Bacuna - Mr inconsistent and a hopless passer. Also playing in completely the wrong position of RB Heleuius - where is he?? Tonev - jurys out luna - more broken than working Okore - damn shame as he showed early promise Kozak - not getting enough game time as PL thinks Benteke is playing well and from last years stars: Benteke - definitely out of this world now! Lowton - fall out with PL or family issues...either way desperately missing him on fire Westwood - yet to find consistent form Sylla - struggling to break in to the side despite being a fans favorite KEH - very inconsistent and not a AM Weimann - a shadow of last years form. No wonder we're struggling

newcomer.gif

"Look at the Holte End, listen to the Holte End"

Gary Mowbray BBC MOTD Aston Villa 1 - Chelsea 0

Saturday 15th March 2014

14186800904_ee18449a69_o.jpg

Who we are as a club and how much money is being spent doesn't really matter!

Are you angry now? So many people on here are ranting on about how big a club we are and how we should be spending more etc etc etc. Why? Lets be realistic for a change, Villa have won f*ck all for years! A couple of league cups in my lifetime. We're not a big club and haven't been since Deadly Doug took the club back in the early eighties. Those are the sad and sorry facts.

I don't support Villa cos it's a big club, If that's what i wanted I'd support manure, chelski or citeh like so many band wagon jumpers and I'd be a sell out. I support Villa cos i love the club and success or failure isn't going to change that.

Now back to the thread, some want serious investment cos 'villa are a big club', investment doesn't mean f*ck all without putting a shape on the team and investing in the long term, QPR invested a fortune on established players but never built a team and the worst thing Villa can do is follow the same route. For the last year or more some have been saying we need someone like Lescott in our defence, I'd actually prefer if we signed a good defender, Lescott might be in the England squad but he's crap. We have decent CB's not world beaters but there are a lot worse in the EPL that what we have. IMO there is no point in signing a new CB until we find out if Okora is going to make it, we'd essentially be signing a player to cover for injury, a waste of money.

Panic buying resolves nothing it generally doesn't improve a team long term and unless villa go into free fall we should be safe this season although i suspect the safety line could be above 40 points this season. Realistically what more should we expect? MON wasted money hand over fist on a short term view of success and perhaps with PL we have gone too far the other way but at least it's a far more sensible way to run a club. You can only run at a loss for a limited time before you have to balance the books and that time came at villa. I don't expect any big name signings in January, but i'd hope for a medium name in the summer. The bones of a squad has been built over the last 2 summers, and now those foundations can be built upon but in a planned way not signing players who don't fit the squad just cos they are established names or cos we have a couple of injuries.

In the year AM was here we made £20m more than we spent in the market.......which gives us a net spend in the last 3 years of about £10m.

Turnover during that period is close to £300m.

I don't think it unreasonable for Villa fans to demand some money be spent.

The club lost sh*t loads in wages,what was it 45k on heskey, 40k on beye to name but 2. you have to include all costs not just the ones you want.

The club lost something like 60 million in AMs season and 35 million last season. That gives a net investment of close to 100 million in 2 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Need an attacking mid don't see the point in getting a CB we have okore next season and the defence we have will get us through this season, it may not be ideal but we need to strengthen in areas we haven't as of yet as this is a long term plan so we need to look at what we'll have in 2 seasons not what we'll have to get us through this one

controversial.png

When I was just a little boy i asked my mother what shall i beee.

Shall i be villa shall i be blues, Here's what she said to me......

YOU KNOW THE REST

The club lost sh*t loads in wages,what was it 45k on heskey, 40k on beye to name but 2. you have to include all costs not just the ones you want.

The club lost something like 60 million in AMs season and 35 million last season. That gives a net investment of close to 100 million in 2 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And why is the club in such a state that it hemirated money like this?? Because Lerner didn't control spending... Full stop

Lerner owns the club but he has a responsibility to uphold a standard that the supporters feel is where we should be, I've come to terms with the fact Lerner won't invest on playing staff but IMO he's still the one responsible for our lowered expectations. We should be fighting top 6 but in reality this won't happen for a while, it won't be until the club is making money again rather than losing that we'll see lerners true intentions. Unfortunately I think once we start making money it will go straight back Into his pocket

controversial.png

When I was just a little boy i asked my mother what shall i beee.

Shall i be villa shall i be blues, Here's what she said to me......

YOU KNOW THE REST

I've had this argument a few times with morerattled and he always posts links telling us how much we have lost.

Now my argument is this, we have been in terms of turnover one of the top 20 clubs in Europe up until a couple of years back. Under ellis we ran a squad just as big and with just as much quality as we have had under lerner so how the hell did we go from been debt free to over £100m in debt in 4 years ?

It's not about me not including the figures I don't want, i'm looking at the over all picture not just figures bandied about in the press and I do not believe we are been told the truth.

How did we lose £60m in AMs season ? we were £20m up in the transfer market, so if that hadn't been the case we would have lost £80m in one year........on what ?

Archived