grotenbees

Christian Benteke (2012-15)

190 posts in this topic

i totally agree, but i dont think his heart is in it, i asure u i would like him to retire at villa but i think its on the cards that hes gone

Yeah, but we've got him for another season thanks to his unfortunate injury.

Surely it is lamberts fault we are left with Holt, Helanious , Bowery ,, after losing his main goalscorer ?

Benteke - long-time injury

Kozak - long time injury

Agbonlahor - probably out for next game

Weimann - underperforming but I would not like to imagine the fans' comments if Lambert would have brought in another striker last winter

All Lambert's fault? No!

It is quite impressive that we still have three (four with Robinson) strikers to choose from even if the first four options would be gone.

Christian Benteke's Achilles' injury was so severe that his Aston Villa teammates heard his tendon rupture from 50 yards away.

:puke:

Christian Benteke is ready to give Aston Villa boss Paul Lambert a massive boost by making a shock return to action next month, writes Neil Moxley in the Sunday People. The big striker is ahead of schedule as he recovers from a ruptured Achilles that ended his World Cup dream. According to sources in Belgium, Benteke is pushing the Villans' manager and, if things go to plan, he may miss just three Premier League matches. The two-week international break at the start of September has given the 23-year-old forward breathing space as he completes his recovery. He joined in with drills when Villa were training in the United States, and has been part of the first-team squad that has stepped up preparations this week. Source: http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/aston-villas-christian-benteke-could-4030119?#.U-fDLmK9KSM

Read that Big Ben has been put through his paces by the Belgium physio's and could make his return later this month

It appears the appeal was against the 3 match ban, not the sending off.

I would guess that we (Villa) said he was extremely provoked into his actions.

Called up for the Belgium squad, lets hope he plays and can score a few to get him ready after his ban

It appears the appeal was against the 3 match ban, not the sending off.

I would guess that we (Villa) said he was extremely provoked into his actions.

What difference does that make ?

I must say he still looks very disinterested.....he had a couple of good touches yesterday but his movement and general effort is very poor for such a talent.

I must say he still looks very disinterested.....he had a couple of good touches yesterday but his movement and general effort is very poor for such a talent.

Totally agree , in recent games when decent balls have been played into the box he's been standing still on the edge of the box - needs to gamble and improve his movement .

Lets just hope its a temporary dip in form due to his long lay off, it happens to them all at some point.

Lets just hope its a temporary dip in form due to his long lay off, it happens to them all at some point.

i think with gil in the team and if he was to perform like yesterday regular, benteke would pick up on that, but as for a person in link up play weimann looks like he will benefit the most due to his pace

i think with gil in the team and if he was to perform like yesterday regular, benteke would pick up on that, but as for a person in link up play weimann looks like he will benefit the most due to his pace

Agree , Weimann has looked a better player since Gil came - he now needs to sustain it.

Agree , Weimann has looked a better player since Gil came - he now needs to sustain it.

this playing on the deck may not suit benteke as much as we would like

Looked disinterested and on the few occasions he got the ball he was more than happy to palm it off instead of doing or trying what we all know he is capable of!!

Deserves to be dropped entirely and not only to the bench!! problem is we have no options!! Kozak was due to return this month but it seems he has had an issue in training and this has set him back somewhat!

If only we would have signed a striker in the window we could show Mr Benteke he is not indispensable! and it might sow him he needs to buck up his ideas!

Looked disinterested and on the few occasions he got the ball he was more than happy to palm it off instead of doing or trying what we all know he is capable of!!

Deserves to be dropped entirely and not only to the bench!! problem is we have no options!! Kozak was due to return this month but it seems he has had an issue in training and this has set him back somewhat!

If only we would have signed a striker in the window we could show Mr Benteke he is not indispensable! and it might sow him he needs to buck up his ideas!

another issue in training for kozak ? thought he was back training but noncontact. if true, talk about bad luck!!!

I think something must have happened between Benteke and Lambert for Lambert to then start chasing his name sake at plop.

Benteke just looks to me like a player who has already left and no longer wants to put the effort in whether it be under Lambert or now the new manager.

The difficulty is we have no one else to step in and Benteke knows that.

Sometimes I really do detest the mercenary attitude of footballers.

I think something must have happened between Benteke and Lambert for Lambert to then start chasing his name sake at plop.

Benteke just looks to me like a player who has already left and no longer wants to put the effort in whether it be under Lambert or now the new manager.

The difficulty is we have no one else to step in and Benteke knows that.

Sometimes I really do detest the mercenary attitude of footballers.

You are right Morph, but if he doesn't start scoring soon I can't see too many people stepping in to buy him. Villa could stuff him right up by asking 50 mil for him when the transfer period opens.

PV Eastie and I had this debate several weeks ago concerning the actual bounty on Benteke's head. I stated at the time that if Bony was worth 28m-30m million then Benteke should be valuated at something similar while Eastie thought around 20m.

Since that debate there's no doubt that Benteke's value has dropped to where Eastie valued him weeks ago. The problem is though that the club will as you have alluded to put a higher value on him than he is currently worth citing the fee paid for Bony and the fact that Benteke is younger with the peak of his career still ahead of him playing for a team better than ourselves.

I still don't think the club would let Benteke go for 20m but if an offer was made (on current form doubtful) around 25m then the club would probably sell giving that to Sherwood to revamp the squad.

Morph,

Also to note as a factor I believe in the summer Benteke is down to the last two years of his current contract, so we would not be in a position imo to push for anything near £20-25 million.

With his current form and contract length left, I believe we would do well to achieve £15-18 million for him at present, that is not taking into account his value if we are relegated to the championship.

You are probably right Mark but I just can't see the club looking at it that way.

I could see Rodgers coming in for him with a cash plus player deal but I'm not even sure whether Sherwood would want Lambert as a replacement for Benteke as it would be a short term replacement and not long term which the club would want. That is of course if we stay in the Premier League.

If we do drop then I could see Fox issuing a statement to the fact that there won't be a fire sale at the club and actually sticking to that. The club wouldn't need the money that desperately due to the parachute payment and of course who our owner is.

Irrespective of that whatever fee Benteke is sold for it probably will be undisclosed due to our club not wanting to be held to ransom in the transfer market so we might never know the actual fee anyway?