Welcome to Aston Villa Forum - avillafan.com

Welcome to Aston Villa Forum - avillafan.com, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Aston Villa Forum - avillafan.com by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

grotenbees

Christian Benteke (2012-15)

Couldn't give a flying one until club ownership is sorted. When he has been in form he is great, when he isn't ( for whatever reason ) he is about as effective as Ian Ormondroyd.

what he said!!^^^

I hope Tim get's him to sign a contract extension in the summer that would be good.

yes it would

I like the openness at the club. Under fox and sherwood .

Great interview last night by fox dismissing imminent takeover talk as nothing going on and now sherwood telling it how it is regarding benteke .

If he wants to go the club will not stand in his way providing the money was right .

I feel this conversation may have inspired benteke to deliver for us and respect Tim for his honesty on this matter .

Sherwood: Benteke could leave

Last Updated: April 30 2015, 15:51 BST

Aston Villa manager Tim Sherwood will not stand in Christian Benteke's way if the striker wants a lucrative move to another club this summer.

Benteke is likely to be a transfer target in the coming months, with Liverpool the latest to be linked after his run of nine goals in eight games.

Sherwood has no intention of selling the big Belgian but concedes if Benteke wanted to go and the money was right, he would be allowed to leave.

He said: "I haven't heard anything about that, but it's good news that people are talking about Christian again because he's scoring goals and if he's scoring goals for us, we're happy.

"I've no idea what he'd cost, because I don't want to sell him. It would have to be a lot of money for anyone to take him from us.

"He'd be too expensive for a great deal of clubs in the Premier League. But we're not looking to sell our assets and he's certainly one of those.

"If a player doesn't want to play for the club anymore and the club he wants to go to meet the valuation then I think it's always best to let them go."

The former Tottenham boss added: "It would be about the market value of what's out there but I have no intention of selling Christian.

"He's enjoying his football and I saw some positive things said by his agent, saying he had not talked to other clubs or seen any interest from other clubs and that Aston Villa were playing the best football out of any team in the league. I think he was spot on there."

The 24-year-old's agent Eris Kismet said this week his client was focused solely on Villa, where the forward has hit a purple patch after managing only three goals this season under Sherwood's predecessor Paul Lambert.

"Every player and staff member is concentrated on avoiding relegation, anything else is just a distraction.

"I know everyone wants the same thing because I watch the games and I think Aston Villa are playing the best football in England right now."

Villa face Everton this weekend just two points clear of the Barclays Premier League relegation zone.

I like the openness at the club. Under fox and sherwood .

Great interview last night by fox dismissing imminent takeover talk as nothing going on and now sherwood telling it how it is regarding benteke .

If he wants to go the club will not stand in his way providing the money was right .

I feel this conversation may have inspired benteke to deliver for us and respect Tim for his honesty on this matter .

Agree.

I don't think Benteke will go, though.

But if he does then I wouldn't accept anything less than £40m.

Is he worth it? Probably not, but so what, we'd have to put a team together and he'd need replacing.

Can't see £40m being realistic - maybe £30m at a push - would like another season from him ideally.

bony went to man city for 28 million so thats the region we should be around, dont think he would go to liverpool with spectulation of players and managers leaving

When i read that statement from his agent....and considering some of his past statements where he has openly touted CB....i felt that maybe a realisation has set in that as great as CB could be he isn't there yet and the wrong move could ruin his career. Why go to the likes of Spurs or Liverpool this summer when a good season here playing under a manager who gets the best out of you could have Europes elite vying for his signature.

He is 25 this year, just coming to his peak. Sign for Liverpool and you will be playing in the Europa league at best until you are 27/28 by which time the top clubs are going to be looking elsewhere.

Can't see £40m being realistic - maybe £30m at a push - would like another season from him ideally.

£40m isn't realistic, you're right, but why sell him on the cheap at around £30m?

On his day, Christian Benteke is worth a lot more than £40m

At the moment, to Villa, he's worth around £100m, because that's roughly what we'd lose if we were relegated.

Why should Benteke leave Aston Villa ?

With Tim Sherwood at the helm I have no doubt we will end up well clear of the bottom three this Season.

Next Season I expect AVFC to be back to how we were under MON, challenging for a top 6 finish and with Benteke being be a key factor in acheiving this.

As part of a successful team and playing for one of the biggest and greatest Clubs in the world, never mind just the EPL, what reason would Benteke have to leave ???

If it is money, where to ... Man City ? ... Chelsea ? ... Arsenal ? ... Man United ? ... for a career on the bench ???

As for other EPL Clubs, e.g., Liverpool, Everton, Tottenham, their stature is comparable to AVFC, atm, so that would be a sideways move, so what would be the point ?

Benteke will best serve his own career prospects by staying at Aston Villa and being part of the 'bright future' we were promised and which is just starting to emerge from the relegation clouds we have had to endure under McLeish and Lambert.