FORUM IS CURRENTLY BEING UPGRADED, PLEASE BEAR WITH US. ×

'international' Tapping Up

avstu

How long do you think before clubs start making something out of players being 'tapped up' while on International duty?

In the past we have had issues with Gareth Barry - going away with England - and the next minute we know hes great pals with Steven Gerrard and he would love to move to Liverpool.

Stewart Downing was another - stated he was very happy at Villa until he went away with England and then stated otherwise while away with the national side.

And now Benteke - both Spuds and Chelsea have players in the Belguim national side and judging by the Belguim players official twitter feeds they are a close bunch so would take a lot for the likes of Hazard to say to Benteke 'Come and join us at Chelsea - playing European football and stupid wages'.

Even elsewhere - You have Luis Suarez who seemed quite content and was going to repay the support Liverpool have shown in him until he went away with Uruguay and then he is doing press conferences every other day saying how much he wants out of the country, and so on.

Why is this any different to a club just illegally approaching a player?

Mellberg_Signature.png

"Winning isn't everything, but it beats anything that comes in second." - Paul Bryant

Well its a obvious system around the rules, and you can easily see the Manager saying "have a word with your mate about coming to us" Very difficult to prove though. I would like to see the contracts more binding with less get out clauses, if you dont want 3 years dont sign it. Least club knows you have other plans.

newcomer.gif

"Look at the Holte End, listen to the Holte End"

Gary Mowbray BBC MOTD Aston Villa 1 - Chelsea 0

Saturday 15th March 2014

14186800904_ee18449a69_o.jpg

All the players have agents so tapping a player up is easy.

Many times I've seen people say that for these players football is just a job and I think the time is fast approaching where it should be treated as " just a job ".

Why should a player not be allowed to work where he wants when he wants ? Obviously you need a little control as you can't have players giving a weeks notice but wouldn't it be fairer if all contracts were one season, and abolish transfer fees. Have a month every summer for players to find a new club or resign with their current club.

Sounds radical but look at the current situation, benteke would have cost us nothing and would now be gone for nothing but we wouldn't have the likes of Ireland sitting on huge contracts.

Contracts are worthless, unless it's the club been screwed so lets change the system.

Before anyone tells me it's a stupid idea that will never work, i'm aware it will never happen and I can see flaws in the idea but the current system is a joke.

Contracts still have their strenght. We dont have to sell benteke, not even for 50m. He is a villa player unless we decide otherwise. He cant just get up and walk out because no other team will be able to sign him whilst he is under contract with us. We can also fine him and go further for breach of contract. What hacks me off is that he signed a contract for 3 years with no intentions of honouring that, and that for me is the issue. Theres a fair few clubs that need the transfer money from sales to make ends meet and to keep the team fresh.

newcomer.gif

"Look at the Holte End, listen to the Holte End"

Gary Mowbray BBC MOTD Aston Villa 1 - Chelsea 0

Saturday 15th March 2014

14186800904_ee18449a69_o.jpg

Archived