FORUM IS CURRENTLY BEING UPGRADED, PLEASE BEAR WITH US. ×

The Football League

dorset lion

In terms of entertainment it is head and shoulders above the premier league and more like the old 1st division once was, before we all became a cash cow for foreign billionaires.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:hh:

Very true :lol:

Was some talk on the Brighton board I read about how the police in London were trying to not allow any Brighton fans in Selhurst! Sorted now mind.

tumblr_lpax8yxyfy1qip14mo1_500.gif

meetmember.png          member.png

I am just watching a fantastic game between Burton Albion and Bradford City and following the drama of the Championship yesterday, I was wondering what peoples views would be if I was to say I believe that England has the best lower league setup in the world?

No other country can boast a second division like the Championship and how big and powerful the clubs can be in that division.

Then both league 1 and 2 have big clubs like Bradford, Coventry, and now Wolves and so on in them.

Can you think of another country in the world with a lower league setup as good and powerful as the one we have in England?

Mellberg_Signature.png

"Winning isn't everything, but it beats anything that comes in second." - Paul Bryant

I think the growth of the championship is wonderful for the game, it's not a stop over now whilst going up, it's a blooming slog! The lower leagues have provided some amazing entertainment this year too.

English football is top draw at the moment.

newcomer.gif

"Look at the Holte End, listen to the Holte End"

Gary Mowbray BBC MOTD Aston Villa 1 - Chelsea 0

Saturday 15th March 2014

14186800904_ee18449a69_o.jpg

Does anyone watch much lower league football from other countries? Seems strange to assume ours is the best without seeing the others.

For what it's worth I agree that The Championship is excited because of how close the table always is, but the standard of football is generally poor. There are also plenty of big clubs in the lower leagues abroad; Lens, Monaco, Auxerre, St Pauli, Herta BSC, Dynamo Dresden, Tenerife, Real Oviedo, Hellas Verona, Bari etc.

It's probably the same all over. One thing I will say is the volume of clubs in financial trouble suggests that having five national leagues and over 100 professional clubs is not sustainable. Most other countries are regional from the third tier and to have a club like Barrow have to travel all the way down to Woking in the fifth tier is utter madness. The travel expenses must cripple these clubs.

Does anyone watch much lower league football from other countries? Seems strange to assume ours is the best without seeing the others.

For what it's worth I agree that The Championship is excited because of how close the table always is, but the standard of football is generally poor. There are also plenty of big clubs in the lower leagues abroad; Lens, Monaco, Auxerre, St Pauli, Herta BSC, Dynamo Dresden, Tenerife, Real Oviedo, Hellas Verona, Bari etc.

It's probably the same all over. One thing I will say is the volume of clubs in financial trouble suggests that having five national leagues and over 100 professional clubs is not sustainable. Most other countries are regional from the third tier and to have a club like Barrow have to travel all the way down to Woking in the fifth tier is utter madness. The travel expenses must cripple these clubs.

Plymouth to York? lol

tumblr_lpax8yxyfy1qip14mo1_500.gif

meetmember.png          member.png

Until 1958 the third level was split North and South, after then it became Divisions 3 and 4.

Currently the Conference National at level 5 is the lowest National Division.

Conference North and South are at level 6.

AVFC RFC SAFC

I don't know if it's still the case but up until a year or two back the championship had the 4th highest average attendance in europe. Not bad for our second tier.

And then you read things that stick in the mind, like juventus playing a cup game against sampdoria with only 200 fans attending, or this week over 21000 turning up to watch norwichs youth team in the fa youth cup semis.

I have done no research into this but i doubt their is a country anywhere that supports football the way we do in england below the top tier.

Archived