Welcome to Aston Villa Forum - avillafan.com

Welcome to Aston Villa Forum - avillafan.com, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Aston Villa Forum - avillafan.com by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

avstu

International Football

So you agree that at the moment England have one potentially "world class" player? I'm glad we straightened that out. I have no idea how often people pull out of other squads, but I bet it happens all the time. It's also laughable to suggest that most England players would walk into any domestic team. There are some England players that I wouldnt have at Villa. England are a quarter final team. Look good against Sweden and the likes in the group stage, but always get found out against a top side. Germany in 90 and 96, Argentina in 98, Brazil in 02, Portugal in 04 and 06, Germany in 2010 and Italy in the summer. Apart from group stage wins over Germany and Argentina I've never seen England beat anyone good when it matters. That's not an attitude problem, it's an ability problem.
It's not laughable is it, what's laughable Is that you've just said you wouldn't have England internationals at villa!! We have more than 1 world class player in England's squad if you go off their performances in their domestic sides. It's not just an ability problem at all there is definitely an attitude problem which is a big factor, I'm not saying If that attitude problem didn't exist we would win the World Cup but we would perform better than we do. Back in the 00's and throughout we had a team with enough quality to win but an attitude that wouldn't. I'm not just taking about England right now I'm talking about England over the past 10-15 years

controversial.png

When I was just a little boy i asked my mother what shall i beee.

Shall i be villa shall i be blues, Here's what she said to me......

YOU KNOW THE REST

I don't agree. The set up, the coaching, the tactics... It's all miles behind the top countries.

There's no way that Hart, Parker, Wilshere, Walcott, Henderson etc would get anywhere near a team like Bayern, Juve or Barca. In over 100 years we've managed one major final, as host nation and only two semi final appearances. We're just not that good and that's the way it's always been. I've never understood where the idea that we should be winning tournaments comes from when you look at our team.

I'd be interested to hear what one of our non-English brethren think of this...

I think our last great 'team' (ability and attitude) was 96. And we were so close...

I have to say I think attitude does factor. Rio Ferdinand recently is a prime example of someone who coulsnt give a toss about the England team. And don't the players get paid to play for the national team now? Ridiculous. It should be an honour not a paycheque.

I understand what robs saying aswell though, England on a technical level are years behind the likes of Spain, Italy, Holland, Brazil. And yet with our economic standing in the last 50 year's we should be much further ahead. So I fully blame the fa for that. Appointing the wrong managers because all they wanted were yes men. Look at hodgson...is he going to win anything? Is he f*ck but he won't give the fa a hard time and that's the way they like it.

mzjj.jpg

Our training and development is miles behind the other countries, I agree with that but even with the best facilities in the world we'll never develop the players with the will and attitude to win because of the culture they're brought up in.

Also when we had the likes of lampard, terry, rio, gerrard beckham and the rest in the squad we should and could have won a trophy. The current squad probably isn't good enough at a national level but IMO they are at a domestic level.

Hart is a quality keeper and IMO is probably up there with the worlds best keepers, yeah he makes some mistakes but he's still young and he is that good already.

Agree with you rich with the team in '96 but we have had a couple teams that stemmed from that era and into the early to mid 00's who were also more than capable of winning a competition.

controversial.png

YOU KNOW THE REST

I think 2006 was our best chance of a trophy, with Gerrard, Lampard, Terry, Beckham etc all at the top of their game. But 7 years later we've only just started phasing these players out.

I think the faults like entirely with the FA. Their complete lack of willing to move with the times is utterly embarrassing and they're only just realising things that the French, Spanish and Germans learned 15-20 years ago.

I think 2006 was our best chance of a trophy, with Gerrard, Lampard, Terry, Beckham etc all at the top of their game. But 7 years later we've only just started phasing these players out.

I think the faults like entirely with the FA. Their complete lack of willing to move with the times is utterly embarrassing and they're only just realising things that the French, Spanish and Germans learned 15-20 years ago.

That's all to do with sales I'm affraid, That's why you see more players from teams like Man U and London clubs

controversial.png

YOU KNOW THE REST

We'll win tonight, they might hold us to 3 or 4 but thats about as good as it will get for them.

As for the debate about why england have won nothing for so long. I'd lay the bulk of the blame with the fa for some poor managerial choices in the past and for ignoring the fact that our coaching methods are years behind the leading nations. But we have had teams good enough to win plenty of tournaments over the last 50 years but we never get that little bit of luck, in fact all we ever got was bad luck.

I'd say in recent times there has been a problem within the camp, to many of them seem to think they are doing us a favour turning up and it has been well publicised about cliques within the squad based along club lines.

What's rooney done in years to warrant being an automatic choice ? and i could say the same of a few of them. Maybe we should stop picking our "superstars" who never deliver and pick some honest pro's from non champions league clubs.

What's the general consensus with regards to Hodgson on here? Personally I think he was a good appointment, he has bags of coaching experience, as well as international experience and was the best English option by a considerable distance. I know Redknapp seemed to be the people's choice, but I think he would have been found out big time if he'd got the job.

We'll win tonight, they might hold us to 3 or 4 but thats about as good as it will get for them.

As for the debate about why england have won nothing for so long. I'd lay the bulk of the blame with the fa for some poor managerial choices in the past and for ignoring the fact that our coaching methods are years behind the leading nations. But we have had teams good enough to win plenty of tournaments over the last 50 years but we never get that little bit of luck, in fact all we ever got was bad luck.

I'd say in recent times there has been a problem within the camp, to many of them seem to think they are doing us a favour turning up and it has been well publicised about cliques within the squad based along club lines.

What's rooney done in years to warrant being an automatic choice ? and i could say the same of a few of them. Maybe we should stop picking our "superstars" who never deliver and pick some honest pro's from non champions league clubs.

Very good point regarding luck. England haven't had any since Hurst's "goal" in the 66 final.

God imagine if you lot followed Canada....

tumblr_lpax8yxyfy1qip14mo1_500.gif

meetmember.png          member.png