Premier League football returns this weekend after an international break. We travel to Goodison Park looking to get back to winning ways after three defeats on the bounce. I have asked Everton fans on grandoldteam.com what they think about our fixture this weekend and about their club:
1) How do you feel the summer transfer window went for Everton?
We probably needed another centre half at least. None of us predicted that last season’s third meanest defence in the league would start this season shipping goals for fun or that John Stones would get a serious injury.
2) David Moyes or Roberto Martinez and why?
Roberto Martinez. I loved Moyes. I felt totally safe with Moyes but I was totally unambitious and didn’t ever expect to win against the ‘big boys’. I genuinely never ever expected it. I didn’t even imagine we could come fourth – bought into the argument that it was impossible due to financial reason. Martinez has made us ambitious, reminded us of our size and, better than anything, encouraged the fans to demand more and accepted the challenge. I have got so much patience for the man.
3) Gareth Barry made his name at Aston Villa, how has he done for Everton?
I have to be hones: when we got him on loan I thought he was average but you can see the class he has. He’s not the quickest but he’s intelligent and can’t half do a job in front of that back four. Going forward in Europe his experience will be vital.
4) Ross Barkley and John Stones are two of England’s best young talents coming through. Do you think they will live up to their potential and will Everton be able to keep hold of them?
They’ll be great players and they will eventually both be signed away unless Everton gets owners who have the finnancial clout to hold on to them.
5) Where do you think Everton will finish in the Premier League this season?
I’m going to say, begrudgingly, eighth. I am envisaging what is essentially going to be a re-run of 2009/10 – terrible until Christmas, relegation a distinct possibility then the classic upturn which will be further boosted by our elimination from the Europa League.
6) Who do you consider to be the best and the worst signings in the Premier League so far this season?
Aside from the obvious like Costa, Fabregas and Di Maria, I’d say maybe Dusan Tadic at Southampton, although he’s got a lot of time to fade yet. The worst would be Balotelli.
7) What are your thoughts on Aston Villa, looking on from the outside?
I am surprised Lambert got a new contract. Aston Villa seems like a club with no ambition, no plan and no direction. AVFC has underachieved given the spending ever since the O’Neill days. I respect the fact that Lambert recognised the old plan was failing. I thought AVFC was doomed for relegation when they brought in Sissokho, Senderos, Richardson but that shows what I know because it seems to have solidified the team. I love Roy Keane sitting on the side there.
8) Which Aston Villa player would you most like in your team this weekend and why?
Vlaar because although I think Delph’s your best player we’re alright in midfield at the moment and shocking at the back.
9) Which player should Aston Villa fear this weekend and why?
Baines has been looking good but it depends massively on who’s ahead of him. Otherwise be very very very afraid of the god that is Steven Naismith. God ,I love him!
10) What is your match prediction?
3-2 to Everton. It won’t be an easy watch for the blues, I imagine. There’s no way we’ll be keeping a clean sheet.
11) Xbox or Playstation?
I’ve got a PS4 but wish I chose an Xbox.
12) Natalie Sawyer or Hayley McQueen?
Sawyer – #teambrunette
Thanks to the members of grandoldteam.com for participating in this week’s Opposition View.